• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United and Continental Talking....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why not do this: DOH, with adjustment for years of service, no furlough clause for CAL, UAL furloughs return and bid new composite seniority number until hiring starts. And substantial hiring will start quickly IMHO, probably within a quarter. And we all enjoy the spoils of a great airline job going forward.

Why should any person who is not currently employed (furloughees) at either airline get seniority rights over someone who is currently employed at either airline?

I think the fairest way to integrate lists is by percentages like other people have said. You take the number of ACTIVE pilots on each list as the basis to determine percentages. You then take each pilot's relative position on their current list and determine their percentage. You then integrate the two lists strictly by percentage carried out to some mutually agreed decimal point. Because of the difference in size of the two pilot groups, individual percentages will mostly differ slightly. If you have two guys with the same exact %, then you go by DOB, then alphabetically by last name if they have the same DOB.

Under no circumstances should a NON-ACTIVE pilot displace ANY individual who is currently employed at either CAL or UAL. If they bypassed recall, they should have a "drop-dead" date by which they will be required to return to employment or waive seniority rights. They should have to be ACTIVE pilots on the effective date of the integration. NON-ACTIVE pilots (furloughees) get stapled on the bottom of the list in their original seniority order and return when recalled to the bottom of the list.

This way, people remain in the same relative % of the seniority list as they would have been at their respective and separate companies. You may think I am being indifferent to furloughees, but currently they do not hold a position at their current company (UAL) and wouldn't at the combined company until recalled -- therefore either maintaining status quo as if no integration had occurred.

Well, you make a good point. But be ready for them to want to fence us out of the 747-400 and whatever replaces it, along with 3/4 of the 777 flying. I wouldn't be surprised if UAL ran a bid soon that will show everybody back on property.

It will be arbitrated. It would be nice if we didn't have to.

Well, you make a good point. But be ready for them to want to fence us out of the 747-400 and whatever replaces it, along with 3/4 of the 777 flying. I wouldn't be surprised if UAL ran a bid soon that will show everybody back on property.

So maybe we would want to fence them off the 787:rolleyes: The point is we have similar fleets. This isn't NWA/Republic where one flew almost entirely domestic in a DC9 and the other a large international carrier.

I agree with captain x, I think the fairest method would be a percentage merger.

The last I recall Cal makes more than we do, so BFD on the 747-4 let alone the 777. Also is there already a deal or is all of this speculation. Although there has been some good suggestions. Such as Capt X thoughts.

Birdman
BTV

Last edited:
How will the ultimate question be resolved after merger?

CAL guys call them 73s 75s and 76s. UAL guys call them 37s 47s 57s 67s

Right now there only seems to be agreement on the 77

Years of service meaning:

How many total years of service combined with DOH.

CAL pilot has five years since DOH and 5 years svc=composite score 10

UAL pilot has five years since DOH and <1 years svc=compsite score 6

Formulate intergration based on the scores

Ahhh, I see what your saying now. Doesn't change my stance though. CAL has 1000 pilots hired within the past two years by this spring. So DOH 2 plus LOS 1 (average length of svc for the aforementioned group of pilots) = 3. By contrast a UAl pilot with a DOH of June 2000gives him a 6 plus 2 yrs of svc = 8. No matter what the UAL pilots will gain the upper hand in the integration using this method every time so I don't see why you feel your logic is the more sensible approach.

Percentage integration, in concert with ALPA merger policy, will be the only fair and equitable solution.

Your starting to sound like a guy who really wants a shot at that WB flying. Understandably so, but at the cost of a bloody integration process (READ: shafting the junior CAL pilots so that your seniority level can fly the 74)? So what if they fence for a while. Its what both pilot groups will do to get the whole integration process initially worked out. Don't worry, big guy, you'll get your chance to fly that 4-engined bird.

Latest resources

Back