• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United and Continental get DOT approval

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
One more thing to add, any negative references to UAL are purely business related. We all ended up at the airlines that we did mostly by chance. When I speak poorly of an airline, I am speaking only to the decisions that have been made by their management team, not all the folks out on line getting the job done.

Why is it the one's on the line that get punished the most?

Whatitdoing,

Please change you avatar. I have nightmares and I enjoy them. But alas I am Catholic so please change your avatar.

-PRS

anyone else a touch confused, yet?

We (CAL) cannot enter into a Joint Venture with United until current contract language is changed.

I thought that CAL cannot enter into a JV to fly domestic routes with a foreign carrier's code and vice-versa? (...and that's what the recent LOA -that was shot down- was about?)

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

I thought that CAL cannot enter into a JV to fly domestic routes with a foreign carrier's code and vice-versa? (...and that's what the recent LOA -that was shot down- was about?)

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Can't enter revenue sharing with a domestic carrier, which UAL is. That's why the leaked LOA had numerous references to "domestic carrier"

Umm, have you seen our latest numbers? It's not like we are out there killing the industry with our performance and revenue numbers here at CAL. We have been running at the back of the pack in on time arrivals and our misshandled bag numbers aren't that great either. We have pilots on furlough just like United does. I'm not viewing a merger with United as negatively as I did a year ago.

WTF does lost bags have to do with over 1 billion in quarterly losses? Nothing! If you're not feeling negatively than you should be.

We (CAL) cannot enter into a Joint Venture with United until current contract language is changed. With that in mind, I am very sure that the only changes to our current scope that would be approved would be ones that protect our interests.

I am not interested in a CAL verses UAL game, but I am even less interested in merging with a company that has relatively old airplanes and no new ones on order. In fact whipsawing in this industry will always take place - in contract negotiations (we have to stay cheap to grow), in ticket price wars between the airlines, in putting senior pilots against junior pilots, and so on. Until there is a national seniority list and pilots are free to move from one airline to another, airline management ultimately will always hold the power over the pilot groups.

As far as mergers go, someone please explain what CAL has to gain from a merger now that we will be part of the Star Alliance and will be milking the alliance with all the airlines approved under the antri-trust immunity. What exactly would UAL have to offer us? I would guess the first answer would be the Asian routes. Ten years ago, I would agree with that. However, with the whole "open skies" mentality of the world, I doubt very seriously that the once coveted and limited routes of the past will be that difficult to gain access to. To do that, CAL needs two things - west coast presence (which we don't have now but will have via the alliance with UAL and airplanes to fly those routes - we have plenty of orders for those). So, from a business perspective it makes perfect sense what the CAL management is trying to do. We pretty much get most of the gain out of the alliance with UAL without all the added costs and labor nightmares. However, if for some reason the antitrust immunity is not approved, I would bet everything on a merger shortly thereafter. CAL and UAL would both need each other in that case, and I am sure it would happen. Anyways, just my opinion.

First of all "old aircraft"..... UAL is parking ALL the "old" 737's . I say "old" in relationship to the age of those frames against the newer CAL 737's...think merged just for a minute....AND MOST IMPORTANT....and I say this from a very neutral stance...if they are merging why would UAL have to have aircraft on order if their merger partner (CAL) already has aircraft on order? According to airline pilot central, it is about 100ish, unless the info. is incorrect.
From a business point. It is perfect. In the end you have the newest fleet, pilots ready to recrew the aircraft as orders come onto the property. CAL and UAL will both be better off with streamlined ops. CAL is not the strongest airline out there either, so merged ops or at least an alliance is needed.

In the recent past (in banking), a stronger bank took over another but the stronger banks name did not survive....the weaker one did because of brand name and how long they have been around. Hint??? WF. Their profit announced last Thursday caused a very strong DOW closing. In that merger, you now have a very strong company. Good luck to all.

Just an opinion.

Last edited:
WTF does lost bags have to do with over 1 billion in quarterly losses? Nothing! If you're not feeling negatively than you should be.

It has everything to do with their losses...do you realize how much time/ manpower is spent looking for those bags???

just a little humor...bad humor.

Latest resources

Back