• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United and Continental get DOT approval

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can someone, in their infinite FI.com wisdom, please explain how DOT approval for CAL to move from one global alliance system to another in any way indicates a merger of two domestic US carriers?

The article states that CAL has been granted approval to join with Air Canada, Lufthansa, and yes, also United.

No different than when CAL was granted approval to join the SkyTeam alliance and partnered with DAL, NWA, Air France/KLM.

(cue reference to Contract '97 Management Playbook 101: Superbowl Sunday DAL Merger)

The DAL rumor got big feet basically that one time. Maybe one other time the rumor floated around. A NWA/CAL merger rumor was a lot more prevalant the whole time. CAL never merged with either.

Can someone, in their infinite FI.com wisdom, please explain how DOT approval for CAL to move from one global alliance system to another in any way indicates a merger of two domestic US carriers?

(this is for everyone else, Captain X...)

As a CAL pilot, would you rather be whipsawed against UAL pilots to win Star Alliance flying or would you rather merge with them and win all of the US flying for Star Alliance as one airline?

I know what ALPA wants... kinda :)*

*I don't know

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Last edited:

The article states that CAL has been granted approval to join with Air Canada, Lufthansa, and yes, also United.

No different than when CAL was granted approval to join the SkyTeam alliance and partnered with DAL, NWA, Air France/KLM.

(cue reference to Contract '97 Management Playbook 101: Superbowl Sunday DAL Merger)

The DAL rumor got big feet basically that one time. Maybe one other time the rumor floated around. A NWA/CAL merger rumor was a lot more prevalant the whole time. CAL never merged with either.

UAL wants the merger. UAL employees want the merger. Oh sure, they'll come on here and tell everyone about how they don't want or need to merge with anyone but quietly they desperately want it. Give it a few weeks and this talk will subside again. Reality will set in and we won't be talking about a merger for at least another 4 or 5 months.

I'm no MBA but tell me again what CAL gets merging with a company in UAL's current financial shape? I think there is a good reason why Larry and team walked away from the last merger attempt. It wasn't because they thought CAL would be worse off without the merger.........??

UAL wants the merger. UAL employees want the merger. Oh sure, they'll come on here and tell everyone about how they don't want or need to merge with anyone but quietly they desperately want it. Give it a few weeks and this talk will subside again. Reality will set in and we won't be talking about a merger for at least another 4 or 5 months.

I'm no MBA but tell me again what CAL gets merging with a company in UAL's current financial shape? I think there is a good reason why Larry and team walked away from the last merger attempt. It wasn't because they thought CAL would be worse off without the merger.........??

Umm, have you seen our latest numbers? It's not like we are out there killing the industry with our performance and revenue numbers here at CAL. We have been running at the back of the pack in on time arrivals and our misshandled bag numbers aren't that great either. We have pilots on furlough just like United does. I'm not viewing a merger with United as negatively as I did a year ago.

Spot on. The fact CAL joined the STAR Alliance was simply due to DAL and NWA merging and presenting an unfavorable situation for CAL with SkyTeam...nothing more, nothing less.

CAL is positioning itself nicely in the event of a UAL failure. Unfortunately, keeping Glenn in charge increases the probabilities. A merger would definately be in the best interest for UAL employees. I can't imagine CAL seeing it in there best interest unless UAL is significantly "right sized" so they take only the pieces that fit. UAL has some great hubs and equipment and a real nice Pacific operation. The STAR definately needs these pieces to be competitive. UAL also has a lot of baggage/overlap that would require discarding prior to a merge. I don't see it happening as CAL would be in a perfect position to "pick up the pieces" if it came to that. JMHO.

I think the bottom line is this. Consolidation will happen...when who knows. Would a CAL/UAL merger be a good bet probably but not w/ UAL mgmt. As for me I for one say get it over with and get rid of the UAL name. Too many bad memories w/ the name. Besides CAL has been around almost as long if i'm not mistaken.

Latest resources

Back