United and CAL SLI for furloughed pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A-fund question

Since CAL still has an A-fund for the senior (frozen) pilots, is there any talk of United pilots trying to get a piece of it after a merger? Once the lawyers smell money I could see a group of pilots file a lawsuit to get some of their A-fund back. Also, most CAL guys seem to have 500-800K in their A-fund with little in the B-fund. I heard that United guys still have more than that it their B-fund. Any ideas?

Since CAL still has an A-fund for the senior (frozen) pilots, is there any talk of United pilots trying to get a piece of it after a merger? Once the lawyers smell money I could see a group of pilots file a lawsuit to get some of their A-fund back. Also, most CAL guys seem to have 500-800K in their A-fund with little in the B-fund. I heard that United guys still have more than that it their B-fund. Any ideas?

I'm sure UAL pilots have more in their B-funds because CAL pilots have only had B-funds for around 5 years. Most captains have somewhere in the neighborhood of 150-200K in their B-funds to date(this varies with the individual's portfolio performance). I don't think that UAL guys would "go after" the CAL guys A-funds. It just wouldn't be right. The frozen funds should be separated and held aside for their retirement or unfrozen and once again offered to the combined pilot group with the new combined contract.

I don't buy that a combined list would yield 1,000 extra furloughs. I saw once if CAL had UAL work rules, they would need an extra 800 plus pilots. Not even considering over 60 guys who would bail before a merger was consummated.

and combine that with a buyout of the top folks: everyone is back...work rules and buyout.
They would be stupid to not spend some money to buy the over 60 guys out to save the $$$ in the long run and average down on seniority pay.

After the merger, the next 1000 guys will hit the street and you'll have nothing but photo's to show for your time at UAL. Not picking on you, the CAL furloughees will be in the same boat. Anyone on the street when this thing goes down should be shopping a new career.

And I doubt if you are even at a Major Airline...at least we have the photos....

I think one of the most important issues is, would the United pilots put up a fight to keep the scope that we currently have in our contract??? Because I think for the most part, CAL guys are not giving on scope.

I think one of the most important issues is, would the United pilots put up a fight to keep the scope that we currently have in our contract??? Because I think for the most part, CAL guys are not giving on scope.

I would love to say yes. The realist in me says the 70 seat agreement would be frozen at it's current level which would be a net percentage decrease of the new Continental/United airlines. To be clear That is not what I want but I think it's most likely the reality.

I would love to say yes. The realist in me says the 70 seat agreement would be frozen at it's current level which would be a net percentage decrease of the new Continental/United airlines. To be clear That is not what I want but I think it's most likely the reality.

Interesting idea, I actually never thought of that. I think the words "70 seater" are a non negotiable concept for most of the CAL guys. It wouldn't take that many from the other side to bring the majority against it. We could also put up a big fight to have 90-100 seats flown under mainline. Of course the company would like to outsource, but if the options are 50 seats, or 90-100 seats flown by UAL/CAL pilots, then they don't have a choice. I know from my mentor who has been at UAL for ages and is very involved in the union that UAL is ready for a fight, and a joint contract could be just the fight we need to make this outcome a good one for the pilots.

When a merger is announced the company will want it to happen. 90-100 seaters a fight?...I would not even call it a fight. That flying will be done by mainline. Period. Outsourcing that flying will not be a determining factor if the merger happens and we should not be worried or feel we have to give up something for a merger to happen. Scope will not be released, and the merger will be just as productive with it still in the place it is/or restricted more.

Everyone on this board needs to realize that the ball is in our court on this one: merger. Remember, the executives will announce it...not the pilots.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back