• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United and CAL SLI for furloughed pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So as a furloughed United guy what are the predictions on what will happen to us? I am currently flying and making good money but it is as an expat, I would love to make it back home one day but I am hoping I have a home to come back to.

So as a furloughed United guy what are the predictions on what will happen to us? I am currently flying and making good money but it is as an expat, I would love to make it back home one day but I am hoping I have a home to come back to.
After the merger, the next 1000 guys will hit the street and you'll have nothing but photo's to show for your time at UAL. Not picking on you, the CAL furloughees will be in the same boat. Anyone on the street when this thing goes down should be shopping a new career.

After the merger, the next 1000 guys will hit the street and you'll have nothing but photo's to show for your time at UAL. Not picking on you, the CAL furloughees will be in the same boat. Anyone on the street when this thing goes down should be shopping a new career.

Wrong again...no one knows. And by the way what happens when in 2012 there is a combined 500-600+ retirements/year starting?? Huh answer that "ATR Captain"....LMAO

Lots of predictions here on this thread...

UAL is short of pilots, with have 1470 or so on furlough with a DOH around 8/99.

CAL is also running short with 140ish on furlough? I say before ALPA agrees to ANYTHING bring back ALL (UAL AND CAL) FURLOUGHEE's.

I dont think it will be as bad as many thing.....however I could be wrong. Delta is looking to hire soon......I never thought that would happen with the DAL/NWA merger.

Wrong again...no one knows. And by the way what happens when in 2012 there is a combined 500-600+ retirements/year starting?? Huh answer that "ATR Captain"....LMAO
Better fire up that resume JR, you aint coming back any time soon. There is no way those bean counters at CAL will want anything to do with a Jurassic fleet of 74's and 320's. Once the UAL scope clause becomes the law of the land, CAL will park all the 73's save the -8's and -9's. CAL's looking for widebody lift in this merger. They're not looking to maintain a domestic structure the size of the combined UAL/CAL. Smigel has been fairly open about his disdain for domestic flying. You honestly think this abortion will create growth? You can't, there's no way you could possibly think that unless you really, really wanted to.

You can kid yourself as much as you like about retirements et al, but CAL won't keep CLE and UAL will probably shrink in IAD. There will be no growth for some time while "synergies" are created. Good luck. If we're all lucky you'll be married to LCC and CAL can go it alone. LCC has far more retirements than CAL so your growth fantasy has a better chance of coming to fruition there.

So CAL has 147 on the street. UAL has 1470. How do you blend that group, since #147 at CAL has the same career expectations, and maybe more since retirements and new aircraft are coming, but less seniority/longevity than #148 at UAL. If you did a 1 for 10 integration, that would put #147 at CAL from being recalled soon, to being recalled years from now????

Yogi

So CAL has 147 on the street. UAL has 1470. How do you blend that group, since #147 at CAL has the same career expectations, and maybe more since retirements and new aircraft are coming, but less seniority/longevity than #148 at UAL. If you did a 1 for 10 integration, that would put #147 at CAL from being recalled soon, to being recalled years from now????

Yogi
Exactly, and what happens if Cal recalls us after the merger announcement, but before final approval, which really could happen. Furlough us again and bring 147 UAL guys to fill our spots, as we go from flying to being 1400 from recall just like that.

I just hope that UAL just stays with LCC, and we decide to grow from within. It worked for AMR in the past, it can work again. Then again having a former M & A lawyer as our CEO does not make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Back to my furlough.

Exactly, and what happens if Cal recalls us after the merger announcement, but before final approval, which really could happen. Furlough us again and bring 147 UAL guys to fill our spots, as we go from flying to being 1400 from recall just like that.

I just hope that UAL just stays with LCC, and we decide to grow from within. It worked for AMR in the past, it can work again. Then again having a former M & A lawyer as our CEO does not make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Back to my furlough.

I believe there are protections in place for that. If you are on property, you cannot be furloughed and replaced by a furlough from the other carrier. I have been told that by many sources, and not on FI...LOL. I sure hope it's true. Can anyone chime in please...

Yogi

The senior guys at UAL and CAL are going to look out for themselves... since the furloughed and MIL LOA guys are out of sight...... out of mind they are not going to be considered.....

Not true about MIL LOA. We keep seniority and longevity while on LOA, so we would be placed appropriately as an active pilot would. Nice try though...
No not really. While you may have your sen and long, the fact is while on LOA you have no vote. Not on LEC business and not on a TA. IOW, you will accept the terms, no questions asked, if/when you decide to come back. What might help is knowing that the invol. furloughed guys that are not gaining longevity will be worse off than you.....

Latest resources

Back