• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Airlines and Continental Airlines Jumpseat Priority Agreement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Aside from the usual Regional vs. Mainline debacle, if you put in terms of the operation it doesn't make sense. Leave the Express guy who flies the same airlines colors at the gate and get the other airlines employee to work. Seems sorta self defeating to me. But I think UAL and CAL are gonna announce soon anyways.

You make a good point except it is very possible that the CO/UA pilot is going to work that day to generate revenue for the other company. You can now book "United" from EWR to IAH or fly "Continental" from ORD to DEN. Meanwhile that Skywest or RAH pilot could be going to work to fly for god knows who that day!!

Is anyone really surprised by this? No. Regional pilots have been treated like scum for as long as I can remember and it's only getting worse. I agree. With consolidation in the industry there will be less and less need for subcontracted small lift. As contracts come up for renewel they will either be canceled or dramatically changed. Management, plus the mainline pilots have been shoving sheit down their throats for years. Why? Umm, because they can. Your companies do not own any flying. The seats are bought by the mainline company who pays for all advertising, marketing, distribution etc. Really no difference between other subcontracted services such as catering, fueling, mx etc. You are no more an employee of the major your affiliated with then those employees. Apparently because regional pilots fly small planes and mainline pilots fly big planes. Thats the only difference I can come up with between the pilot groups. I mean we all know that flying a big a jet with over 100 seats is WAY different than flying one with under 100 seats. Those big jets are much more difficult to learn and handle. Most of us know that, but it is still fun getting y'all all spooled up over it. It's beyond the capabilities of most regional pilots. Oh and hey rj guys, don't forget to thank your friendly neighborhood mainline pilot for giving scope away as if it were water, dooming 70% of the regional pilot workforce to spend their entire careers for chump change in a crappy rj.Don't worry the heyday of the rj is quickly coming to an end. My suggestion is get the old resume ready, if you have not finished the degree do it and be ready for when the hiring begins in 2013 or so.[/QUOTE]
Good luck.

It amazes me how many people here are constantly confused by my intentions. Cobraair, do you think I am in support of the regional industry? By your response it would seem so. Make no mistake, I wish the regional industry would die!! Die a quick death!! If you fly an aircraft with Continental painted on the side, you damn well ought a be a CAL pilot! Same for every other carrier out there. But no! Mainline pilots refuse to create a pay structure for those rj's that the pukes in management can accept, in order to keep all the flying in house. So they give up scope and what do we have, a bunch of bottom feeding regional airlines flying half of the country's departures.

I mean think about it. How many mainline pilots would be flying FO in an rj if all the flying were to be brought in house. Actually none since it would be done by the guys currently sitting in the right seat of an rj, but let me continue. I will use AA as an example since they really only have one regional airline flying for them (the 10 AC that CHQ fly for them are a drop in the bucket). 2800 pilots at Eagle, 1400 of them FO's at Eagle. Add the 2800 Eagle pilots to the 9000 AA pilots and you have a workforce of nearly 12,000. All but 1400 (12%) of them would be either rj captains earning a livable wage, albeit barely, and the rest would be flying MD80 or larger at current rates. Whats so hard to understand about this?

You may say how can this be done when you have mainline pilots on furlough. Well only 2 airlines have any considerable number on furlough anyway, AA and UAL. You don't allow any pilot currently flying an rj to move up to anything that is currently flown by mainline until all furloughs are brought back. Or you allow the furloughed guy to take an rj CA seat as they come available. There are many things that can be done to bring all the flying under one fold but it will take hard work that most of the mainline guys don't want to be bothered with. So we will continue to hear them bitch and moan about rj's.

You make a good point except it is very possible that the CO/UA pilot is going to work that day to generate revenue for the other company. You can now book "United" from EWR to IAH or fly "Continental" from ORD to DEN. Meanwhile that Skywest or RAH pilot could be going to work to fly for god knows who that day!!

True, hadn't looked at it that way.

Almost 25% of CAL pilots now come from CoEx/XJT and we all think this new arrangement is complete horse $hite!! I see no reason to alter our long standing JS agreement with the pilots of a company that operates over 1000 flights at day on behalf of the CAL brand. This has nothing to do with UAL pilots but frankly, UAL is a CAL competitor and it's crews deserve no special standing within our pass/js agreements.

I don't think this issue is settled. I expect the XJT MEC to protest and I also expect some internal CAL protests from former XJT pilots and those who would like to know how or why our MEC changed and important agreement without conference or communication with the membership. If the 4 pages of heated discussion on Calforums is any indication, this issue is far from over.

Doesn't the UAL MEC have anything better to do than F with jumpseat priorities? I donno, maybe like getting furloughs back on property or maybe getting back ANYTHING that was lost over the last 8 years..... Man does the UAL MEC suck.

Pipejockey,

I agree with you. If it was not for mainline MEC's taking down their pants in front of mangement EVERY time to take it in the rear, I would not still be in an rj with no end in sight. Or if I was, it would be under onelist within a brand. Sad.

It is sad when it can be readily and quickly remedied. But it has no immediate benefit for established mainline pilots, thus the union will not take any interest in it. So they would rather concern themselves with screwing rj pilots out of JS privileges. The same rj pilots who will perennially be rj pilots because these same mainline pilots won't do anything to get everybody on one list, thereby creating a career path for all.

You were wrong. You can determine if someone goes or not but not the priority for the seat.

You need to read Sec. 115 of the Admin manual a little more closely.

Latest resources

Back