• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United Airlines and Continental Airlines Jumpseat Priority Agreement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is anyone really surprised by this? Regional pilots have been treated like scum for as long as I can remember and it's only getting worse. Management, plus the mainline pilots have been shoving sheit down their throats for years. Why? Apparently because regional pilots fly small planes and mainline pilots fly big planes. Thats the only difference I can come up with between the pilot groups. I mean we all know that flying a big a jet with over 100 seats is WAY different than flying one with under 100 seats. Those big jets are much more difficult to learn and handle. It's beyond the capabilities of most regional pilots. Oh and hey rj guys, don't forget to thank your friendly neighborhood mainline pilot for giving scope away as if it were water, dooming 70% of the regional pilot workforce to spend their entire careers for chump change in a crappy rj.

Is anyone really surprised by this? Regional pilots have been treated like scum for as long as I can remember and it's only getting worse. Management, plus the mainline pilots have been shoving sheit down their throats for years. Why? Apparently because regional pilots fly small planes and mainline pilots fly big planes. Thats the only difference I can come up with between the pilot groups. I mean we all know that flying a big a jet with over 100 seats is WAY different than flying one with under 100 seats. Those big jets are much more difficult to learn and handle. It's beyond the capabilities of most regional pilots. Oh and hey rj guys, don't forget to thank your friendly neighborhood mainline pilot for giving scope away as if it were water, dooming 70% of the regional pilot workforce to spend their entire careers for chump change in a crappy rj.

I really don't think the furloughed Mainline pilots are listening to you....be glad you have a job...by giving up scope...you get a paycheck..

Not what the intent was....

Oh and hey rj guys, don't forget to thank your friendly neighborhood mainline pilot for giving scope away as if it were water, dooming 70% of the regional pilot workforce to spend their entire careers for chump change in a crappy rj.

Last I checked this is what the RAH guys wanted. They walk around O'Hare with "Guppy Killer" stickers on their flight bags. They should replace those stickers with "Carreer Killer" stickers. Go fly your RJ enjoy!

A capacity purchase agreement means that United buys every seat on the associated express carrier. They have every right to determine the order in which empty seats are assigned to non-rev's as well as how the jumpseat is assigned.

I disagree. They may have leased the revenue seats but I doubt they have any claim to the actual jumpseat. I suppose they could have negotiated as part of the capacity purchase agreement how the priority for the jumpseat is established. Barring that I think it belongs to the airline operating the flight. Convention has been that the order of priority for the jumpseat is something like this:

1. Company pilots by seniority
2. Affiliated pilots (mainline or express) on a first come basis
3. OAL on a first come basis

Not only is this how it's usually done, it's also the most obviously fair way to do it. This kind of stuff ALWAYS backfires. Does anybody really expect the express guys to just roll over and take this? There will be some sort of retaliation. Offcially or unofficially.

What was the last big jumpseat war?

This should be a facebook application..."Click to Play Jumpseat Wars"...and you profile can have updates from Jumpseat Wars like...

Mike Oxlong was denied the jumpseat by a gate agent...click here to help Mike Oxlong

Mike Oxlong just made it to level 25 by jumpseating through PHL during a baggage handlers strike

The CAL MEC is still trying to figure out how to get a first class rest seat for international flights they gave away on C02. CAL pilots are gonna be crushed in the merger.

Bingo!. The CAL pilot group and union are worthless. It is a group who can not get anything accomplished and will fold on everything.

Inferiority complex? Most of us were commuter (i.e. Metroliner, Beech, Saab drivers) pilots, I know I don't feel the way you explained. Perhaps a small percentage may exhibit what you describe, but it's a very small percentage. Put down the broad brush you are painting everyone with.

Bingo!. The CAL pilot group and union are worthless. It is a group who can not get anything accomplished and will fold on everything.

Have you paid attention to anything lately, namely the recent IAH election? Times are changing, and watching Mgt react to the new reality like deer in the headlights is going to be a very gratifying experience. FUPM!!!

Aside from the usual Regional vs. Mainline debacle, if you put in terms of the operation it doesn't make sense. Leave the Express guy who flies the same airlines colors at the gate and get the other airlines employee to work. Seems sorta self defeating to me. But I think UAL and CAL are gonna announce soon anyways.

Is anyone really surprised by this? No. Regional pilots have been treated like scum for as long as I can remember and it's only getting worse. I agree. With consolidation in the industry there will be less and less need for subcontracted small lift. As contracts come up for renewel they will either be canceled or dramatically changed. Management, plus the mainline pilots have been shoving sheit down their throats for years. Why? Umm, because they can. Your companies do not own any flying. The seats are bought by the mainline company who pays for all advertising, marketing, distribution etc. Really no difference between other subcontracted services such as catering, fueling, mx etc. You are no more an employee of the major your affiliated with then those employees. Apparently because regional pilots fly small planes and mainline pilots fly big planes. Thats the only difference I can come up with between the pilot groups. I mean we all know that flying a big a jet with over 100 seats is WAY different than flying one with under 100 seats. Those big jets are much more difficult to learn and handle. Most of us know that, but it is still fun getting y'all all spooled up over it. It's beyond the capabilities of most regional pilots. Oh and hey rj guys, don't forget to thank your friendly neighborhood mainline pilot for giving scope away as if it were water, dooming 70% of the regional pilot workforce to spend their entire careers for chump change in a crappy rj.Don't worry the heyday of the rj is quickly coming to an end. My suggestion is get the old resume ready, if you have not finished the degree do it and be ready for when the hiring begins in 2013 or so.[/QUOTE]
Good luck.

Latest resources

Back