Union Video

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"You just keep thinking Butch. It's what you're good at."

Most important thing you will watch in the next two months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOgTTQ41w3w&feature=related

Typical Union propaganda. Use member's dues to make a slick video to back up their endorsement and use it as a campaign ad. Pretty clever.

1. Tax cuts for the rich? First of all, I am not rich. I have a piece of real estate, that I have had for quite a number of years. I would like to sell it in the next few years. If the capital gains tax expires (as Barama would like). my tax burden will go from 15% to the maximum rate. For that one year I'll be "rich" and by golly, I will pay for it. How many of our jobs are directly related to the tax breaks offerred to wealthy Americans when they purchase shares of expensive aircraft? How many on this board, wouldn't mind being rich?

2. Recession? While it may feel like we are in a recession, technically we are not. We are in a slow down exasperated by high oil prices and a real estate and credit crisis, fueled by irresponsible bankers and consumers. How many union members went in over their head and bought too much house for too much money?

3. NAFTA? Bill Clinton was a huge supporter of NAFTA
when he was president. I have not heard Barama say anything about turning back the clock on NAFTA.

4. Guest Worker Program? How abaout amanesty? Isn't that what the Dems have pushed? How about securing our borders and cracking down on employers of illegals. All the dems want to do is grant amnesty to the miliions of illegals, that have already taken American jobs and nothing about preventing future illegals from coming and taking more of them.

5. Health Care? It sounds as though this video wants the cake and eat it too. We have the best health care system in the World. We also have on of the most expensive. You cannot reduce the cost of healthcare, make it more affordable, and maintain the level of excellance at the same time.

6. Social Security and Medicare? Democratic programs they are. Neither party wants to touch either of these. If the original concept of each were never monkied with, they both might be viable programs. Did you know that a person (spouse) caring a dependant (daughter) of a person drawing social secuirty, is also eligible for a check? I know someone doing this and it is perfectly legal. Is that what Social secuirty is for? Why not let the private sector manage Social Secuirty? The government has certainly demonstrated it can't.

I am not railing against unions. just union bosses. If this were my union doing this video, I would be very unhappy.

Typical Union propaganda. Use member's dues to make a slick video to back up their endorsement and use it as a campaign ad. Pretty clever.

1. Tax cuts for the rich? First of all, I am not rich. I have a piece of real estate, that I have had for quite a number of years. I would like to sell it in the next few years. If the capital gains tax expires (as Barama would like). my tax burden will go from 15% to the maximum rate. For that one year I'll be "rich" and by golly, I will pay for it. How many of our jobs are directly related to the tax breaks offerred to wealthy Americans when they purchase shares of expensive aircraft? How many on this board, wouldn't mind being rich?

2. Recession? While it may feel like we are in a recession, technically we are not. We are in a slow down exasperated by high oil prices and a real estate and credit crisis, fueled by irresponsible bankers and consumers. How many union members went in over their head and bought too much house for too much money?

3. NAFTA? Bill Clinton was a huge supporter of NAFTA
when he was president. I have not heard Barama say anything about turning back the clock on NAFTA.

4. Guest Worker Program? How abaout amanesty? Isn't that what the Dems have pushed? How about securing our borders and cracking down on employers of illegals. All the dems want to do is grant amnesty to the miliions of illegals, that have already taken American jobs and nothing about preventing future illegals from coming and taking more of them.

5. Health Care? It sounds as though this video wants the cake and eat it too. We have the best health care system in the World. We also have on of the most expensive. You cannot reduce the cost of healthcare, make it more affordable, and maintain the level of excellance at the same time.

6. Social Security and Medicare? Democratic programs they are. Neither party wants to touch either of these. If the original concept of each were never monkied with, they both might be viable programs. Did you know that a person (spouse) caring a dependant (daughter) of a person drawing social secuirty, is also eligible for a check? I know someone doing this and it is perfectly legal. Is that what Social secuirty is for? Why not let the private sector manage Social Secuirty? The government has certainly demonstrated it can't.

I am not railing against unions. just union bosses. If this were my union doing this video, I would be very unhappy.

Oh really, well thanks for setting me right in that really condescending way.

I suggest you check your references and do more than just listening to Rush and Bill O. Your "facts" that you shared with me are almost all completely wrong.

Do some homework.

McCain supports the troops? Uh-huh, and I’m busy saving the planet from an asteroid.
Bloviate (blō vē āt’): to discourse at length in a pompous or boastful manner. — American Heritage Dictionary, 2003 ed.

I’m not about to disparage McCain’s military service. Could I have done five and a half years in a North Vietnamese POW prison? Though I doubt it, there’s no way to know. I didn’t have to.

But let’s say I did, and did. Would that alone have made of me a hero? Or should that have been a consequent part of the foundation underlying my presidential qualifications?

Yeah?

Exactly how? What is there about the two stations that are related?

“No, Senator; no way!”

One would, however, anticipate that, as a veteran, one of the planks he would stand front and center on would be support of those in our military, especially those who have borne the burden of the battle. Let’s open his voting record, just to find out.

Before I get to precisely what his demonstrated voting record is on support of our military, let’s take a peek at how he's voted on other issues . . . say, kids, for example.

The Children’s Defense Fund Action Council (a nonpartisan evaluator of congress), in 2007 gave you only a 10% rating, the very worst in the senate! Here’s what you voted against:
Increase funding for children with disabilities (S. Con. Res. 21)
Protect children from unsafe medications (S. 1082)
SCHIP Reauthorization (H.R. 976)
College Cost Reduction and Access Act (H.R. 2669)
SCHIP (H.R. 976 - motion to concur)
DREAM Act (S. 2205)
Funding child health and education (H.R. 3043)
Improving Head Start programs (H.R. 1429)

And per the Congressional Record, so far this session he has missed 57 percent of all senate votes and 80% of all relating to children.

Now here’s the part that the press refuses to report and that he does not want raised: the genuine level of demonstrated support of our military, by the votes! (The ones he voted “NO” on!) They’re highlighted in bold because he ought not to be allowed to dodge them, just because someone might have missed reading them.
September, 2007, McCain voted against the Webb amendment that would have provided all troops in Iraq have at least as much time home and in training as in theater. (S.Amdt 2909, 2910, 2910; 9/19/2007, 5:30 pm) http://senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=1&vote=00341

May, 2006, voted against an amendment that would have provided the VA with an additional $20 million for healthcare facilities. (S.Amdt 3704; 5/4/2006, 11:34 am) http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=2&vote=00111

April, 2006, McCain was one of 13 Republicans to vote against $430 million for VA outpatient care and facilities. (S.Amdt 3642; 4/26/2006, 5:55 pm) April, 2006, McCain was one of 13 Republicans to vote against $430 million for VA outpatient care and facilities. (S.Amdt 3642; 4/26/2006, 5:55 pm) http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=2&vote=00098

March, 2006, McCain voted against increasing VA medical services funding. (S.Amdt 3007 to S.Con.Res 83; 3/14/2006, 4:22 pm) http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=2&vote=00041

March, 2004, McCain voted against establishing a VA reserve fund to treat veterans. (S.Amdt 2745 to S.Con.Res 95; 3/10/2004, 9:34 pm) http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=108&session=2&vote=00040

October, 2003, McCain voted to table an amendment by Senator Dodd (D-CN) that called for an additional $322 million in safety equipment for soldiers in Iraq. (S.Amdt. 1817 to S. 1689; 10/2/2003, 7:36 pm) http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=108&session=1&vote=00376

April, 2003, McCain voted to table a senate vote to provide more than $1 billion for National Guard and Reserve equipment in Iraq. (S.Amdt 452 to S. 762; 4/2/2003, 5:35 pm) http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=108&session=1&vote=00116

August, 2001, McCain voted against increasing the amount available for medical care for veterans by $650 million. (S.Amdt. 1218 to S.Amdt. 1214; 8/1/2001, 6:02 pm) http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=107&session=1&vote=00263

Please . . . No one try to use Senator McCain’s military record, his record of imprisonment in North Vietnam, his “concern” for America’s young, or his level of “support” for our uniformed fighting men and women in any fashion or way to demonstrate his suitability to be President of the United States. Loosely falling words and bloviation may persuade millions, but the unvarnished record cannot be spun. It’s in black and white, and available for any and all to investigate.

John McCain just is NOT the fellow being advertised. And if one of your relatives or associates attempts to tell you he is, give that person a copy of this, then tell them to just shut up; their ignorance is embarrassing you.

— Ed Tubbs

Political positions

Main articles: Political positions of John McCain and Comparison of United States presidential candidates, 2008
Various interest groups have given Senator McCain scores or grades as to how well his votes align with the positions of each group.[226] The American Conservative Union awarded McCain a lifetime rating of 82 percent through 2007, while McCain has an average lifetime 13 percent "Liberal Quotient" from Americans for Democratic Action through 2007.[227][228]

McCain's congressional voting scores, from the American Conservative Union (pink line; 100 is most conservative) and Americans for Democratic Action (blue line; 100 is most liberal)[229]

The Almanac of American Politics rates congressional votes as liberal or conservative on the political spectrum, in three policy areas: economic, social, and foreign. For 2005–2006, McCain's average ratings were as follows: the economic rating was 59 percent conservative and 41 percent liberal, the social rating was 54 percent conservative and 38 percent liberal, and the foreign rating was 56 percent conservative and 43 percent liberal.[230]
Columnists such as Robert Robb and Matthew Continetti have used a formulation devised by William F. Buckley, Jr. to describe McCain as "conservative" but not "a conservative", meaning that while McCain usually tends towards conservative positions, he is not "anchored by the philosophical tenets of modern American conservatism".[231][232]
The two political issues that voters have been most concerned about in 2008 are the economy and Iraq.[233] On the economy, McCain says he would make the Bush tax cuts permanent instead of letting them expire, he would eliminate the Alternative Minimum Tax so as to assist the middle-class, he would double the personal exemption for dependents, reduce the corporate tax rate, and offer a new research and development tax credit.[234][235] At the same time, he pledges to eliminate pork-barrel spending, freeze nondefense discretionary spending for a year or more, and reduce Medicare growth.[235] McCain is also opposed to high salaries and lucrative severance deals of corporate CEOs.[235][236] Another proposal of the Arizona senator is to build 45 new nuclear reactors by 2030, in order to fight climate change and establish U.S. energy independence.[237]
On Iraq, McCain's goal is that by 2013 most of the servicemen and women will have returned, the Iraq War will have been won, and Iraq will be a functioning democracy, "although still suffering from the lingering effects of decades of tyranny and centuries of sectarian tension." McCain expects that by 2013, there will still be violence, but at a much-reduced level, and without American troops in a direct combat role.[238][239]
From the late 1990s until 2008, McCain was a board member of Project Vote Smart (PVS) which was set up by Richard Kimball, his 1986 Senate opponent.[240] PVS provides non-partisan information about the political positions of McCain[241] and other candidates for political office. Additionally, McCain uses his Senate web site, and his 2008 campaign web site, to describe his political positions.[242][243]

Please i don't want to hear this in the cockpit and I don't want to have to see it on FI.

Latest resources

Back