Union or not Union, that is the question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Annie,
You have to understand something about occam’s razor. He is incapable of comprehending a complete idea. That is why he needs to break down other posts, so he can try to under stand it.

Thanks TWU!!!

The human failure that started the union drive still struggles daily with his job. He got the inexperienced college kids on board for his cause though. Score one for labor. This chump will keep his job because unions protect the weak.

No raise in two years while cost of living keeps going up around me. Thanks, you dummies.

Common sense died long ago.

That's what my roomate tells me. If I ever end up at a regional maybe I change my mind. I hope not though. But if I do I'll let you know.

Fair question. If enough pilots don't like the working conditions and quit. And since the conditions are so bad nobody will work there, then the management will be forced to make improvements in order to get and keep employees.

If a pilot quits, he has to start over at the bottom of someone's list. This is unique in the working world. My wife, who works in IT, can go to a better position. I as a pilot can not. That is really why unions form. Management has set up a seniority system to keep us from leaving easily. Seniority systems existed before unions were formed so they are a management construct. Since we are, at least in the medium term, locked into a company, we band together to use collective leverage to negotiate terms that we otherwise would not get. The CFR's for example, only require 1 day off every 7. Without the union, we would be gone from home all but 5 days in a month. When you get your first flying job, you will quickly find that management's attitude is that you are not a human being, but simply a work input. Without the union's minimum garauntees, you would not have a life. There are a lot of 135 charter operations where you do not have any days off. If you don't get called out, that was your time off. In essence they are on call 24/7. You can't have a marriage under those conditions, you can't maintain relationships under those conditions, and you can't have any friends who aren't in the same boat as you either. People don't understand how you can constantly make plans to go out and then "blow them off". They can't fathom that there are employers out there who treat their employees that cruelly, so it must be you that are "blowing them off". You really will understand all this once you get the first job.

Geez Doh:

I hate to say this but your summary is rather simplistic. My husband wanted to leave his place of employment because he had been discriminated against for years in terms of benefits and salary. (He was the only straight white Lutheran type). When they finally broke his contract he just wanted a buy out and let us leave. The dirty little girls who had spent the last 10 years getting paid to be 'working'(?) mothers refused to let him leave, because they needed to copy his work. So, because he would not stay--they blacklisted him. All liberal democrats--you know--the "change agent types". In fact one of his students in mangement had been a union employee, she said about her teacher: "he either works for us, or he doesn't work!" Sorry, to smear the boundaries of your vision of the world.

Annie, I did not mean to say it never happens other places. I just said it is possible to leave for a better job in the ground pounder world. It is impossible in the pilot world. Your husband's experience is atypical in the extreme. Is he by chance in academia?

Latest resources

Back