• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Union at Shares

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Remember that your union dues are comming out of your paycheck! None are comming out of mine!
From another thread:
Sparse said:
HMO plus dental and vision

single 65/month
emp plus 1 156/month
emp plus 2 or more 233/month
I pay about $100/month in union dues. I have free health insurance for me and my family. Let's say I have a wife and 1 or 2 kids. Who comes out ahead in that scenario? BTW, aren't you guys charged $10/meal for your crew food? One per duty day = another $150-200 per month. I generally get 2-3 crew meals per duty day. I'll gladly pay my $100/month in union dues to avoid being nickel-and-dimed to the poorhouse.

From another thread:

I pay about $100/month in union dues. I have free health insurance for me and my family. Let's say I have a wife and 1 or 2 kids. Who comes out ahead in that scenario? BTW, aren't you guys charged $10/meal for your crew food? One per duty day = another $150-200 per month. I generally get 2-3 crew meals per duty day. I'll gladly pay my $100/month in union dues to avoid being nickel-and-dimed to the poorhouse.

Never say never but CS will not ever have free health benefits. I will gamble and say free health care as we know it today will go away at NJ as well. I would bet the typical CS pilot gets on average 1 crew meal per tour. Personally, I couldn't stomach 2-3 crew meals per duty period. After a while it's like eating the same thing over and over.

From another thread:

I think you do come out ahead, overall, but let's not forget CS pilots get more per diem than you. Not sure but I believe it's about ten dollars more per day?

I would bet the typical CS pilot gets on average 1 crew meal per tour. Personally, I couldn't stomach 2-3 crew meals per duty period. After a while it's like eating the same thing over and over.
You guys must not fly much, then. How can you keep airplanes moving with one crew meal per tour? Your per diem rate is significantly better than ours, I'll give you that.

You guys must not fly much, then. How can you keep airplanes moving with one crew meal per tour? Your per diem rate is significantly better than ours, I'll give you that.

I personally can't imagine how anyone can go a whole tour of flying without ordering crew meals. Anyone who does must be going hungry or is spending a lot of their personal time chasing down food. I just don't see any reason to do that; ten dollars is what I'd spend on a decent meal anyway, if not more.

Ive only had one crew meal in all of last year combined. When you're hungry, you go get something to eat.

Stuff happens on a daily basis...I've had too many lunch and dinner plans thwarted due to the changing needs of the company. Besides, when I get a break I want to relax in a LazyBoy, not go driving around in an unfamiliar city looking for food. But, to each his own.

I've had too many lunch and dinner plans thwarted due to the changing needs of the company.

That's exactly why your company should provide you with a crew meal free of charge.

A union contract isn't just about money, it provides a measure of protection against the constant pressure to do whatever it takes to get the job done.

If a company expects you to be ready at a moments notice, they need to meet your basic needs. Food and rest are at the top of the list.

From another thread:

Hump will not respond to this. What could he say?

Latest resources

Back