• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Union activity on a resume

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I mentioned a chairmanship position it on my apps for CAL and DAL and got job offers from both -- but it didn't come up at the interviews. I would also add safety committee work as an asset, especially if you can bring it up at an interview.

These days a resume tells me you're applying to a corporate position. If that's the case leave out any union activity: You may as well show up with open sores.

I would put Comm Chair, Schedule Chair or something of that nature. Both of those are leadership positions where you are trying to make a change. I would not put MEC or LOCAL Chair, etc. It shows you might be a pain in the ass.

Then the pro-company,management knows best interviewer will think to himself...."so this guy didn't think the company was communicating effectively nor did they give him enough time off so he thought since he is smarter than management, he would take a leadership position in the UNION and whip things into shape"..........

The way you view unions and the way the management person interviewing you views unions are most likely worlds apart.....

Depends on who's actually doing the hiring - the Union or the Company?

I would say a HUGE positive, depending on the carrier. Most management pukes of ill comport are strictly from the ranks of former yewyun goombahs. They seem to make the best incompetent toadies and lackeys for whatever reason. The price of one's soul is pretty low, but I'm not their accountant, so perhaps I'm undervaluing them.

Give a wink and a nod that you would sell out and there is no end to where you can go!

Generally a bad idea. The one exception is usually safety work. The safety guys aren't seen as political, and they usually have the respect of the flight ops people who do the hiring. It can be a positive. Anything political, though, avoid it like the plague.

One thing I respect about you PCL is that you put your name out there visibly at a regional, even while aspiring to the next level -
Do you think that affected you? I assume you took your own advice w/ AT- but did it come up?

One thing I respect about you PCL is that you put your name out there visibly at a regional, even while aspiring to the next level -
Do you think that affected you? I assume you took your own advice w/ AT- but did it come up?

No, nothing came up at the interview, but they're not allowed to ask any questions about union affiliation in interviews unless the applicant brings it up (federal law). I'm sure they knew of my past union work, but I also had about 6 or 7 internal recommendations, and that really made a big difference in getting a job at AirTran at the time.

The one exception is usually safety work. The safety guys aren't seen as political, and they usually have the respect of the flight ops people who do the hiring. It can be a positive.

Such as being a FOQA volunteer or an ASAP ERC member?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back