• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Uniform in public

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So I go get my physical done and as I'm filling out the form, in walks a female pilot for AA. She is wearing her full pilot uniform, complete with company badge and epulettes. Was there such a RUSH to get to the doctor that she couldn't take off some of her gear, or did she just feel like letting everyone know that she thinks she's better than everyone there cause she flies for AA? I would of been impressed except she was ugly and was fumbling everything she touched. Uhhhggg!

This is the second time I go to get my physical and there is a pilot, female both times, in full uniform. The last one flew for a Continental regional carrier.

The only time I think a person should only be seen in a pilot uniform is one the way to work, at work, or on the way home. Any other time you wear your uniform in public makes you look like a complete tool. That applies to any airline.

Just my opinion.:cool: I have more just ask!

CH

...you re such a crackhead!;)

I too am inclinded to view those who wear the uniform off duty as dorky, however - I have been known to pump a tank of gas in uniform. I have picked up food in uniform and have even stopped by a Barnes and Noble to pick up a book. Once while waiting for the van in Manhattan I even carried luggage for an old lady who thought my "cool" airline pilot uniform was a doorman's uniform.

Once while pumping gas in my uniform I must have inadvertantly left the gas door open although my cap was tightened back on. As I'm driving down the road I notice this guy with his wife who had been pumping gas next to me waving and trying to get my attention. After making eye contact with him he gestered towards my gas door indicating that it wasn't closed. Afterwards the guy gives me a military salute like I was some kind of general or something. I later realized that he was a serviceman since the rear of his car had all of these military stickers.

uniform

Once I was in a Circuit City and a Comair pilot (probably an academy grad) came in and was in full uniform. Now, I was not offended by him wearing his uniform in the store because he probably just needed to run in and buy an Ipod or something, but the thing that made me really wonder is why did he take the time and actually put on his uniform hat to come in the store? I think I would have probably just left the hat in the car.
The only time I am embaressed in uniform is when I am at the gas station in my junky heap of an airport car. I know all the other customers are looking at me in shame thinking that with all the pay cuts he should still be able to afford a better car than that.
Another time I went into a Dunkin Donuts in uniform and the guy behind the counter asked me if I had a long ride. Confused by his question, I turned around and noticed he was looking at an 18wheeler in the parking lot. I guess he thought I was a truck driver.

Lawyers? Accountants? Engineers?

Gosh, I sure think those other professionals that don't take off their suit and tie before going to lunch or dinner when "off duty" are a bunch of tools too!

I was putting gas in the Vette and when I went to pay the lady behind the counter asked me where I was going on my trip, in which I replied "Chicago then out to San Diego"

She said "I didn't know Carnival Cruise Ships went to Chicago" (I was living in Cocoa Beach at the time) and then she asked what it was like as a Cruise Ship Captain.

(And NO I was not working for Carnival Airlines)

Wear your uniform with pride.

The MIL guys love to wear their zoom suits around... expecially as they get on/off the Metro at Pentagon City before they finally get off at Crystal City or the Pentagon....

The MIL guys love to wear their zoom suits around... expecially as they get on/off the Metro at Pentagon City before they finally get off at Crystal City or the Pentagon....

Yeah we do. That uniform will actually get you laid. Flight suits in the Pentagon though? What? Did I not get the memo or is the Air Force run amuck (again)?

I wear my uniform to church, the babysitter's and prison when I visit family. They all love it and some even ask for my autograph.

Yeah we do. That uniform will actually get you laid. Flight suits in the Pentagon though? What? Did I not get the memo or is the Air Force run amuck (again)?

You don't even need a desk to fly..... you file all your paperwork in all those pockets.... Imagine the reading material you'll have when you go to the head...

Good Post. If we had pride in our profession we wouldnt in alot of the messes that we are today.

Off topic, but "If we had pride in our profession," people wouldn't be flying for certain airlines. I once sat next to a Mesa pilot who was also in operations (young guy, totally brainwashed though) who was glad he got paid sh*t and said that the only reason airlines went bankrupt was because airlines were paying pilots too much. In those words, verbatim. I mentioned oil prices having something to do with it, and he just shrugged his shoulders in a way that said "well i guess that's true but that's not what Jonathan O. told me when he was plowing me in the a** last night."

It was at that point that I lost faith in the future of my career--knowing that even pilots think this way. The next thing that came out of his mouth was "it's great. you get on here, and get to fly brand new jets." I didn't say a thing to him after that.

Latest resources

Back