Undercutting the undercutters...lovely career

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well at least it wasn't a question...

I'm not expecting anything. I've been an ALPA member so I know what it can and can't do.

I also know that the "brotherhood" and "unity" that union members purport to have doesn't really exist; as illustrated bu the thread-starter and the constant Mesa-bashing.

Not to say that there are no benefits to being in ALPA, but there is no unity between ALPA members at different airlines. Burden of proof? See Northwest/Republic, USAir/America West, American/TWA, etc., etc.

Min Pay Rates

What should ALPA do and how do you expect ALPA to do it?

Rez,
I expect ALPA to establish a minimum pay rate for each type of equipment and if a union tries to pass a TA for less than the agreed upon "professional rate" alpa should make it a public embarassment and decertify that pilot group as professionals.

Try being an "undercutter" plumber in NY and see what happens.

BTW, I have no idea in this particular case what the pay rates are, but as long as COMAIR isn't below what a professional CRJ pilot should be paid, then it's just business.

Our flight schedule for the remainder of the year continues to shift dramatically. Most recently,​

Delta Connection requested that we operate additional CRJ900 aircraft beginning in October. In
order to be successful, we must make the following adjustments:
- Fleet: Our maintenance team will begin receiving additional CRJ900s in September. We
will start flying up to three of these aircraft in October, and operate a total of seven by the
end of November. The addition of the CRJ900s may not incrementally change our longterm
fleet outlook, and we still anticipate reducing our complement of 50-seat aircraft by
the end of year. Eight CRJ100/200 aircraft will be returned to lessors when their leases
expire, and the remaining 50-seat planes will be utilized less.
- Staffing: A pilot vacancy bid will be released today for CRJ700/900 captain and first
officer positions. The vacancy bid will close 10 days after it opens and training for the
new positions will begin as soon as September. After the vacancy bid is awarded, we will
re-release the pilot displacement bid that was previously cancelled. As for the flight
attendant group, we still anticipate releasing the reallocation and displacement bid this
week. Although the number of crewmember displacement and furloughs will be
minimized by the additional CRJ900 flying, it will not fully offset the impact of
previously announced reductions in the CRJ100/200 fleet. Timing of the displacements
and furloughs will be delayed to support the CRJ700/900 training.
Ultimately, we are pleased to be presented with this opportunity to support Delta – our mainline
customer and parent company – and we are grateful to be in a position where our operation can
be flexible. We also understand this is another significant change in course that has a resounding
effect on our employees.
Looking into the future, it is important to remember the flight schedules beyond September are
still fluid, and we can be assured that they will continue to change. We have positioned ourselves
well to be the “go-to” regional carrier, and our people deserve many accolades for their
contributions. In order to capitalize on future opportunities, we must continue to deliver
exceptional operational results and excellent customer service.

We went on strike for 89 days just TO BE UNDER CUT by chau, chat, well, you know who.
Take the time to learn the history before you get on here and look foolish...

Rez,
I expect ALPA to establish a minimum pay rate for each type of equipment and if a union tries to pass a TA for less than the agreed upon "professional rate" alpa should make it a public embarassment and decertify that pilot group as professionals.

Try being an "undercutter" plumber in NY and see what happens.

BTW, I have no idea in this particular case what the pay rates are, but as long as COMAIR isn't below what a professional CRJ pilot should be paid, then it's just business.

If you want min pay rates then management is going to want someting... like max pay rates....

Is that ok?

ALPA can help negotiate and enforce a contract plus multitude of real nice other stuff like medical and safety. It can't help your company get and keep business, especially on A/C your company doesn't own. Don't forget you have to participate to make any of this work.
Now that said I'm a one color one seniority list guy so please skip the BS that I know will follow this reply.

Why the Max?

If you want min pay rates then management is going to want someting... like max pay rates....

Is that ok?

In a nutshell, yes that would be OK as long as ALPA established a "professional rate" that was indexed to inflation as the minimum. Certain benefits included as well. I think employers would entertain the notion because they would have a handle on what the costs would be if they wanted to employ a "professional" pilot corps.
Now to enforce the professional concept, you have to treat non-professionals as what they are. You have to be willing to only extend the benefits of "professional" society to those who work for companies that employ professionals.
If VA wants to hire A320 pilots at substandard wages (don't know if they do), then other "professional" pilots have to ensure that their behavior working for a nonprofessional company is unacceptable, and benefits reserved for professionals will not be extended, ie jumpseats, alpa services, etc.
Make the benefits such that everyone only wants to work for a professional company and VA will have no choice but to hire professionals, right now, they can hire anyone, and they are welcomed into the pilot profession with open arms, even if they have to commute across country to work a job for 1/4 less pay in the highest cost area of the country.

Latest resources

Back