• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Undercutting the undercutters...lovely career

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You ask hundreds of questions and apparently they're all rhetorical because, in your mind, ALPA isn't doing anything wrong. Isn't that true?

No of course not... and if you've read my posts you've seen were I've been critical of ALPA. Also, though, I don't expect ALPA to be something it is not....

but lets get back to the RJDC. Simply put, the RJDC guys did not have the social skills to build relationships with DALPA to get what they wanted... thus they had to sue. That is what a lawsuit is all about.... two or more people/groups who can't work something out....

But let's be fair... DALPA was probably no easy group to work with.... but you can't control DALPA as much as you can control yourselves...

ALPA could have fixed the scope problem in 2000 but the Delta pilots were more interested in a "United plus 1%" contract so that's where the bargaining capital went. Unity was traded for dollars by our "union." So now, you're reduced to endorsing the Delta pilots decision in 2000 while crying crocodile tears over scope.

Thus a flaw in ALPA. How do you expect ALPA with so many different pilot groups to work in lock step? Shouldn't one expect conflict? And that is what EVERY ALPA member fails to realize.. including the Nat'l Officers....

No one works the paradox... we all have this notion that we should be one team.. well we should, but it isn't easy.....

There are two fronts when dealing with teams.. the internal and external.... Take a sports coach... to win his has to beat the opponent... and there is some effort knowing the other team.. but the real effort is dealing within his own team.. managing the personalities, issues, problems, etc...

Most leaders, managers, captain neglect the internal work.. Why should a leader NOT expect is followership to perform the way he wants... this is too simplified... A leader must always be working internally...

Same with flying jets... its not the weather, mx problems, passenger issues...any decent Captain can deal with that... but leading the crew.. that is the hard part... keeping everyone pulling on the same rope...

We have all failed in this regard at ALPA... you, me, the RJDC, DALPA, ALPA Nat'l....

You ask a question then dismiss the answer if it doesn't fit your narrow view of the neoALPA dogma. You're disingenuous in that you aren't looking for any responses. Seriously, you are the perfect spokesman for a failed policy of a labor union in decline.

Screw policy...

until we take a REAL individual interests in our pilot careers we will continue to have this problem... there is nothing wrong with ALPA on paper.. it is a just and democratic organization...

But you want ALPA to do what YOU want it to... well that is in conflict with others.... so how do you get what YOU want? Lawsuits? No... you actually work to solve other pilots problems.... If I know you are looking out for me... then what am I going to do? Yes, I am going to look out for you.... Does that seem strange? Maybe, but didn't the RJDC want DALPA to help solve RJDC problems? Doesn't the TWA pilots sueing ALPA want ALPA to solve TWA pilots' problems? We all want others to solve our problems... so shouldn't we be working to solve other peoples problems?

This is nothing new with human dynamics. The goal is find the common ground. We elect our leaders, but it seems that we can't get good enough leaders to step up to the plate.... why?

And what do we need do when only poor leaders step up to the plate to volunteer to lead?

Answer the italics question please....

Rez,

I agree with most of what you said in this post. The problem is the whole point of a union is to be unified, not just with your fellow company pilots, but across the company lines...so that you have a consistent front towards ALL management. This unity, as you agree in your post isn't there!

Your suggestion to get it back was for the TWA guys to help the APA somehow, and for RJDC to help DALPA. I don't think that would've done a thing. As you say, it's easier to control yourself, so they (APA/DALPA) controlled themselves to allow themselves to benefit at anothers demise.

The italics question? YOU (the person that recognizes a problem) volunteers to lead and help be part of the solution and not just whine about the problem.

Your suggestion to get it back was for the TWA guys to help the APA somehow, and for RJDC to help DALPA. I don't think that would've done a thing.

Respectfully... this is the thinking that doesn't work....

But tell us why it would not have done a thing.... including market, gov't and corporate forces... effecting the outcome of the TWA pilots...

I don't know the details of any situation above... but the human dynamics are the same...

develop relationships, respect and trust... only from there can we proceed....

Last edited:

But tell us why it would not have done a thing.... including market, gov't and corporate forces... effecting the outcome of the TWA pilots...

I don't know the details of any situation above... but the human dynamics are the same...

I agree. The goal should be to develop relationships and trust. My point was that historically, that hasn't happened. But like you, I'm an outsider to these events, so I can only really speculate based on the end-results.

God, you sound like JC Lawson

Latest resources

Back