Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAX Letter to UAL Pilots over jumpseat dispute.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When everything else fails, and the priority is still not right, what else can you do? I like this as little as everyone else...but it is super-frustrating trying to commute on UAX due primarily to this issue.

How about a grassroots movement?

www.uaxjumpseatpriority.net

The ALPA BOD is coming up this Fall... why not use some political movement there...

The first I've heard of this is on FI via the "letter". Why was there no threads just explaining the situation so everyone can understand the issues?

And now the letter was written by a OO pilot who will remain nameless? What is the UAL MEC supposed to do.. go to management with a moniker letter and say "some one wrote this... can you make changes?". It doesn't work this way....

Most people are willing to help others out under the guise of respect and trust. Building positive relationships does more to get things done than "letters".

Does it take time? Sure does. But actively choosing to get off the high road and go for the low road isn't going to work.... well... let's see.... what July 31?

Who responds to threats in a positive way even if the core message is valid?

The ALPA BOD is coming up this Fall... why not use some political movement there...

The first I've heard of this is on FI via the "letter". Why was there no threads just explaining the situation so everyone can understand the issues?

And now the letter was written by a OO pilot who will remain nameless? What is the UAL MEC supposed to do.. go to management with a moniker letter and say "some one wrote this... can you make changes?". It doesn't work this way....

Most people are willing to help others out under the guise of respect and trust. Building positive relationships does more to get things done than "letters".

Does it take time? Sure does. But actively choosing to get off the high road and go for the low road isn't going to work.... well... let's see.... what July 31?

Do you understand this has been an ongoing issue for 2 years??? How much more time do you think it should take to make a simple fix that should never have been an issue to begin with?

then get off your lazy ass and go out and be known to the gate agent, ensure the right guy gets the seat. I did it when I was at express. Besides aren't they express gate agents working your flights? and shouldn't they know the priority on express flights?

Its unrealistic to expect us to supervise the boarding process. UAX guys have been getting bumped off of their own company jumpseat.

Express gate agents don't always work UAX flights. Many times, they are mainline agents. Even if they are express agents, they just go by the priority that the computer tells them. They don't know what our FOM says for jumpseat policy.

Do you understand this has been an ongoing issue for 2 years??? How much more time do you think it should take to make a simple fix that should never have been an issue to begin with?

You're missing the point... you quoted my post but did you read it?

This is the first I've known about it..... if you want to get mass understanding and empathy then get the word it out.... The more pilots that know about it, and its a just cause the more support you'll get...

However, the first time many are made aware it is done with a threat.... who responds to threats?

Again... the big question.. is.... who is obligated to fix the computer code? And where is that obligation written?

I am still curious as to how the UAL pilots and/or MEC is a part of this.... Did they agree or commit to fixing this?

Well, seeing how UAL changed priority codes for UAX pilots this spring, I find it difficult to believe that they can't get it changed again. The simple reason it has not been changed yet, is that there has been nothing for United to gain by it. (The knowledge that you are doing the right thing by honoring your agreement doesn't count) The UAX jumpseat folks have been trying to fix this for two years. They have met nothing but resistance from UALPA. The UAX folks are now appealing to the UAL pilots to put pressure on the MEC to right this wrong. The pressure may seem heavy handed, but two years of one sided negotiations are enough. No one wants to deny anyone a ride. The UAX guys simply want the existing agreements to be honored. It is unfortunate that we have arrived at this. Please United pilots, contact your MEC to get this taken care of.

Right on....what he said.

Again... the big question.. is.... who is obligated to fix the computer code? And where is that obligation written?

I am still curious as to how the UAL pilots and/or MEC is a part of this.... Did they agree or commit to fixing this?

Do some research. UAL MEC is exactly who is responsible for the priority in the current software. UAL MEC asked their management to implement the current priority. Most UAL pilots don't expect to have priority on UAX airplanes. However, there are a few on the UAL MEC who think otherwise.

The software was changed. UAX has asked/negotiated to have it changed back. The response for some time now has been that it is not financially beneficial to UAL. So, they see no reason to change it. UAX jumpseat committee (not just skywest) has decided to give them a reason.

Rez,

My understanding is the letter was written by the JSC's of all the carriers who signed the letter (every UAX except TSA).

As far as relationships and time like you mentioned, again my understanding is they've (UAX JSC's & UA) have been working on this for about 2 years. So the relationship was there...the time spent trying to solve the issue without "threats" as you say, was there.

My understanding is, those things didn't work...then in May, apparently UALPA (again totally 3rd party info since I'm not a rep) requested a change in the computer priorities. (The change is a fact. According to the computer, UA has priority on ALL flights mainline or express, followed by TSA & GoJet. Whether UALPA was the driving force behind this is again, 3rd party party info, but they benifted from the change...)

In any case, it seems like the JS reps have worked long & hard together and gotten nowhere dealing with UA or UALPA on this. They've already used your suggestions, what else is left?

I'd just like to retain priority on my own birds...that's it. I hold no animosity towards any pilot group.

In addition, I think I'm going to put my name in to be a rep...

Last edited:
So the UAL MEC is sticking it to the UAX pilots? Why?

Because mainline pilots believe they own the regionals...You're a United pilot...at least for a little while...why don't you tell us why the UAL MEC believes they should have priority....

Latest resources

Back