UAV's for UPT Grads

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BeeVee

I have heard through the grapevine that the Chief of Staff of the Air Force will announce sometime next week the following:
Effective immediatley, there will be a new "track" for Air Force UPT graduates--the UAV track (Predator/Global Hawk).
This will be there career track/AFSC - they will never actually get into an aircraft.
Should do wonders for morale...:mad:
Anyone else heard this rumor?

I've heard of guys getting UAVs for a short while now, thats the rumor on the Navy side at least. Bummer...

There are worse things... Speaking as an NFO who spent some time as a UAV det OIC, UAV's are the perfect platform for Navs / NFOs. How come nobody's thought of that?

There are worse things... Speaking as an NFO who spent some time as a UAV det OIC, UAV's are the perfect platform for Navs / NFOs. How come nobody's thought of that?

The AF did quite awhile back. Several years ago Navs with Comm/Inst tickets were being recruited to operate UAVs. I'm not sure what the requirements are now but have no doubt someone on this board will be more up to date.

Warrant Officers

Suuuuuuuuuuucks..............seems there should be better ways to handle this problem.

Create a Warrant Officer program. Recruit from the ranks of motivated Airmen and NCOs and off the street. Train them to a FAA Instrument Rating. Provide an ACE style flying program with Cirrus's or something similar. By the definition, Warrant Officers are technitions, so they don't have to go off and career broaden, they become experts.
The Air Force advertises and recruits for pilots based on their dream, since childhood in most cases, of the romance and excitement of flying the most exciting aircraft and missions in the world. They even have a whole squadron of colorful F-16s to travel around and plant those seeds of the dream (They got me when I was nine, but they were F-4s back then). To ask for 10 years as payment to realize that dream and then turn you into a professional model railroader is a bunch of crap and these koolaid drinking morons who spew the "that's the needs of the AF" line are idiots. Glad I'm retired.

Everyone's favorite food additive chemist said:
To ask for 10 years as payment to realize that dream and then turn you into a professional model railroader is a bunch of crap and these koolaid drinking morons who spew the "that's the needs of the AF" line are idiots.

Nothing more to add, just couldn't agree with you more.

And everyone feared Helos at UPT when I was there. Now, not sucking at UPT is more important than ever.

You can still take the UAV track as a Nav w/ you COM/INST ticket. I know someone who just did it.

Latest resources

Back