UAL Returning Furloughees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sonny Crockett said:
Andy, did you get the call from the LAX office yet?

No, I've still got another 450 or so in front of me.
It looks like the bond offering has brought out those that had previously bypassed, so it'll take a little while to get down to me.

boeing747-800 said:
When do you plan on going back andy? What was your class date?

I was an 18 Jun 00 hire.
I will take mil leave; my IMA unit wants me to work there full time, and they are working it so that I will be able to be on continuous orders through mid-2009. So I guess that I'll return right around the time that the contract becomes amenable. :eek: Poor timing on my part, but this will allow me to get an active duty military retirement, along with higher pay than I could make at UAL and less time living out of a suitcase.
If the age 60 rule stands, I'm hoping that my seniority will give me junior bunkie on the 777/400. If age 60 goes away, I'll be a junior LCC pilot.
Here are the age 60 retirements by year at UAL (based on 7/05 seniority list):
2005 83 (obviously already retired, but added since the seniority list is based on 7/7/05 seniority)
2006 240
2007 266
2008 237
2009 239
2010 203
2011 169
2012 231
2013 246
2014 240
2015 277
2016 332
2017 309
2018 383
2019 357
2020 463
With the reduction in fleet types and the simplifying of the pay structure, there will be less training opportunities generated with each 777/400 Captain retirement. This will reduce the training float significantly, leading to less recalls and less hiring in the future. The increased seat locks don't help this situation.
I was very disappointed to see that, in the Feb vacancy bid, there was only one 777/400 training event; a 777 FO slot to DCA, taken by an SFO 777 FO with a seniority number of 2752.

Growth at UAL mainline will be stagnant for several years due to the 70 seat RJ giveaway ... UAL is able to have as many 70 seaters as mainline aircraft. That's where the bulk of UAL's growth will likely occur.

With the high number of UAL pilots on mil leave, there could also be quite a bit of stagnation in moving up the list as these pilots return to UAL. After looking at the payscales, it doesn't make economic sense for a UAL pilot on mil leave to return to UAL until they are senior enough to hold 777/400 FO. That's based on O-4 on flight pay without the bonus.

It will be interesting to see how many of the bypassers give up their seniority number; I expect that the 2007 seniority list will be reduced by more than just retirements.

It's very nice to see the recalls happening, but it's not entirely rosy for the future as far as advancement goes. I think that all we need to do is look at our brothers and sisters at USAirways east and see what happened to everyone who was hired on the back half of their explosive growth period. Based on all of this, I want to return to the highest seat that I can hold; I may be sitting there for a VERY LONG time. I plan to live in domicile and be on reserve for most of my UAL career.

Andy said:
It will be interesting to see how many of the bypassers give up their seniority number; I expect that the 2007 seniority list will be reduced by more than just retirements.

I think I posted this once, but forgot if there was a reply. What about those who resigned their seniority number (i.e. went to work at FedEx, UPS, CX, etc) and then get recalled. Is it a "do or die" situation...if they bypass with a resignation letter on file, is that the end...off the UAL seniority list?

You guys that were smart enough to "pass the test" and get into the AF and Navy are lucky. It's damn near impossible to get a decent full-time job in the Army Guard/Reserves. The Army Guard's focus for AGR is recruiters (are recruiters? See, not smart enough to be blue).

John
5/00

hyflyt560 said:
I think I posted this once, but forgot if there was a reply. What about those who resigned their seniority number (i.e. went to work at FedEx, UPS, CX, etc) and then get recalled. Is it a "do or die" situation...if they bypass with a resignation letter on file, is that the end...off the UAL seniority list?

You guys that were smart enough to "pass the test" and get into the AF and Navy are lucky. It's dang near impossible to get a decent full-time job in the Army Guard/Reserves. The Army Guard's focus for AGR is recruiters (are recruiters? See, not smart enough to be blue).

John
5/00

There was an agreement between Forte and Dubo where all resignation letters were round filed. I don't know if that's in print anywhere, but I believe it is.

The only unkown would be a Merger. If you are on bypass or LOA you might be without a seat if we face a Merger.

Sonny Crockett said:
The only unkown would be a Merger. If you are on bypass or LOA you might be without a seat if we face a Merger.

Neither bypass nor LOA should affect the way that the seniority lists would be merged. Either way, I've come to the conclusion that there are other ways to make a living than being an airline pilot.
I realize that Tilton's been talking up consolidation of the airline industry for quite a while. He used to talk up cost reductions and making our product competitive at a Walmart level. He's now changed his tune on no frills. I would expect him to get educated on the history of mergers within the airline industry before he took such a step; one would be hard pressed to find a 'successful' merge. I'm waiting to see how the America West/USAirways merge plays out; I'd be surprised if it turns out to be financially successful.

Andy said:
There was an agreement between Forte and Dubo where all resignation letters were round filed. I don't know if that's in print anywhere, but I believe it is.

About 3 years ago, the furlough coord. told me there was a letter of agreement, but I couldn't get a copy of it because it "really didn't exist." I can't remember if it was Coomans, or I heard it somewhere else, but I also have it in my mind that when a person came up for recall that had previously resigned, the question is asked of that pilot, "Does your resignation stand?" Does anyone know of someone who was recalled that had resigned? What were they told?

The resignation letter agreement is kept in-house. No copies are allowed outside of a few within the UAL-MEC, otherwise it could cause problems for furloughees to get jobs with some other companies.

There is one way deep down in the contracts or somewhere, I forgot where I found it. I got it back in '02, I don't know if it's the same one you are talking about, but it states the above.

Latest resources

Back