• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL news.........

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Think what you wish, skykid, but most of what you have posted is wishful thinking, pure and simple.

The most important thing you have posted is that UAL, with its planes "75-85% full" is still hemorrhaging money- over $4 million a day. That is miles away from turning a profit, which they need to do by October, according to your lender's covennants.

Even with an improvement in fuel prices and SARS gone (?) there is no way UAL will make money in this pricing environment, and they must start making money soon, or they either run out of cash or bust a covenant.

BTW, a one time shot-in-the-arm like the tax refund doesn't represent anything other than a fortunate circumstance, just as SARS was an unfortunate one. Welcome to the airline industry.

The picture, on another message board, which I posted a link to, was a picture of a UAL plane "tanking". If your skin is so thin, perhaps you shouldn't be on this board. Maybe Dr. Phil has a board you could find more soothing.

Last edited:
Ty Webb,

Since you appear to be "in-the-know", concerning UAL financially, perhaps you could answer a few questions.

1. Since UAL met previous DIP hurdles by a "wide margin", how many losses did they post early as opposed to later when DIP hurdles are more stringent? Outside of EBITAR for cash on hand purposes.

2. Why will UAL be forced into Chapter 7 if it misses a DIP hurdle, when US Airways missed all of theirs?

3. Why is it a bad thing for UAL to have the 4th best load factor in the industry, and the best on time performance? Will this somehow effect revenue adversely?

4. Do your $4m per day losses in April (the month most damaging due to War, Fuel cost, and SARS), accurately reflect future revenue earnings at UAL?

5. Will the $15.1b savings from labor (over six years) and the $700m savings from re-negotiated leases (annually) play no role in recovery?

6. Are all the cost savings, and increased efficiencies fully implemented, and $4m daily loss is the best UAL can hope for?

7. I thought that like DIP financing, exit financing was the norm. If it is not then what is?

9. Will the recent $10.00 dollar increase on tickets have no effect? At 200,000 pax daily that is a $2m daily increase in revenue. Will UAL still be loosing $4m daily? I guess technically the summer revenue picture would have to drop to $6m daily losses to keep with your $4m daily. Will this happen?

8. Most importantly, where is the industry heading? Is low fare the long term future, Hub and spoke network carriers, or is it a mix of the two?

Thanks in advance,

Spinup

CNN reported that UAL lost close to $400 millon in April alone. I hope their recovery shows better numbers than this sometime soon.

$400million in one month can mean a $1billion loss for the quarter. I know revenue is starting to pick up, but SARS isn't helping. Atleast Europe seems strong for the Majors. I wish them luck.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes: ;)

(Originally posted by spinup)
Ty Webb,

Since you appear to be "in-the-know", concerning UAL financially, perhaps you could answer a few questions.

I am not "in the know". I am simply someone who is following the issue and an only calling it as I see it. I am not a financial guru, but I used to be a pretty successful businessman in another life, enough to know the difference, say, between an Income Statement, and a Balance Sheet.

1. Since UAL met previous DIP hurdles by a "wide margin", how many losses did they post early as opposed to later when DIP hurdles are more stringent? Outside of EBITAR for cash on hand purposes.

UAL met its earlier covenants because at that point in the process, they did not have to pay most of their bills (to put it in the simplest terms). If I gave you two months where you didn;t have to pay your mortgage, utilities and credit card payments, you would have a lot of extra cash on hand, too.

2. Why will UAL be forced into Chapter 7 if it misses a DIP hurdle, when US Airways missed all of theirs?.

I don;t recall that USAirways missed "all" of theirs, but they were dealing with the Alabama Retirement Board, who basically "upped" their ownership, and, as an owner, had more of a vested interest in keeping the company a going concern. UAL's debt is held by a wider variety of entities, making it more complex. I think that if they miss their future requirements (namely, to start making money by October) Citigroup and the others may decide to cut their losses and stop throwing good money after bad.

3. Why is it a bad thing for UAL to have the 4th best load factor in the industry, and the best on time performance? Will this somehow effect revenue adversely?

Didn't say that.

4. Do your $4m per day losses in April (the month most damaging due to War, Fuel cost, and SARS), accurately reflect future revenue earnings at UAL?.

I, too, will be interested to see if they can make money when these issues have been resolved.

5. Will the $15.1b savings from labor (over six years) and the $700m savings from re-negotiated leases (annually) play no role in recovery?

They won't if they don;t get the chance to . . . in other words, if UAL isn;t making money by October, and the DIP decide to pull the plug and liquidate, then all of those things won;t matter.

6. Are all the cost savings, and increased efficiencies fully implemented, and $4m daily loss is the best UAL can hope for?

Geez, I hope not, but who knows? Only time will tell. It's not just the costs, of course, it;s also the revenues, which, right now, may not be able to support UAL's (reduced) cost structure.

7. I thought that like DIP financing, exit financing was the norm. If it is not then what is?

The question is really will they get to the point where they can exit?

9. Will the recent $10.00 dollar increase on tickets have no effect? At 200,000 pax daily that is a $2m daily increase in revenue. Will UAL still be loosing $4m daily? I guess technically the summer revenue picture would have to drop to $6m daily losses to keep with your $4m daily. Will this happen?

This assumes that the pricing sticks. It is not enough on its own to enable them to do what they must- and that is, again, be making money by October.

8. Most importantly, where is the industry heading? Is low fare the long term future, Hub and spoke network carriers, or is it a mix of the two?

Much smarter people than you and I are wondering the same thing. When business travel comes back in a few years, we will see how they vote with their dollars.

Last edited:
They are losing $400 million a month without making any aircraft lease or facilities payments? You have to wonder how much, longer the lenders and creditors are going to watch this company burn through money.

What was also interesting was their cash balance change. Factor out the governemnt grant and tax refund, the picture does not look good.

Last edited:
Do you mean $4million a day? I think that is right. The SARS thing has really cut into their Pacific flying---especially to China and Taiwan. That sucks.

Bye Bye--General Lee:(

General Lee said:
Do you mean $4million a day? I think that is right. The SARS thing has really cut into their Pacific flying---especially to China and Taiwan. That sucks.

Bye Bye--General Lee:(

Whoa, typo. Thanks.

UAL April Summary:

(A month that Boeingman and Gordo said UAL would never see a few months ago).
---------------------------

* Meets third DIP covenant despite impact of Iraq War and SARS

* Maintains strong cash position

* Challenging revenue environment drives loss from operations of 297 million dollars and net loss of 375 million dollars for April

* Operational excellence continues

* Company implements improvements in travel experience and plans to dedicate resources to re-engaging core customer base

UAL Corp. today filed its April Monthly Operating Report (MOR) with the United States Bankruptcy Court, and said that it met the third monthly requirement of its debtor-in-possession (DIP) financing. As part of its DIP financing agreements, United's lenders required the company to achieve a cumulative EBITDAR (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, amortization and aircraft rent) loss of no more than 849 million dollars between Dec. 1, 2002, and April 30, 2003.

The company reported a loss from operations of 297 million dollars and a net loss of 375 million dollars for April. The revenue environment for the entire airline industry was very difficult during the month, due to the full impact of the war in Iraq and the fear of SARS in Asia.

UAL improved its cash position for the month and reported an increase in cash of approximately 150 million dollars for April, ending the month with a cash balance of approximately 1.7 billion dollars, which included 651 million dollars in restricted cash (filing entities only). During the month of April, the company made a 64 million dollar quarterly retroactive wage payment, including taxes and interest, to employees who are members of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) union. The company also received a 365 million dollar tax refund from the Internal Revenue Service. UAL began April with a cash balance of approximately 1.6 billion dollars, which included 633 million dollars in restricted cash (filing entities only). Excluding the tax refund and the quarterly IAM retro payment, the company's cash balance decreased approximately 150 million dollars for the month.

United's Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Jake Brace said, "April marked the high point of the Iraq War and SARS impacts on revenue. Our cash burn was significantly higher in April as compared with March. We are pleased that our cash receipts have now returned to pre-war levels. We have stayed on track with our efforts to reduce our cost structure significantly and we continue to move our business forward. Early planning for the effects of the war in Iraq and our new flexibility to respond to market shifts helped us to meet our cumulative EBITDAR requirements and maintain a healthy cash position. We are confident at this point that we will also meet our EBITDAR requirements for May."

Brace continued: "We are pleased to have recently announced the resumption in June of 162 flights and are encouraged by bookings for the summer months. However, the revenue environment continues to be challenging."

In May, the company announced the appointment of John Tague as executive vice-president-Customer, and the company plans to dedicate significant resources to re-engaging its core customer base.

Tague said, "The company has made enormous progress in restructuring its costs. Looking forward, United is now turning its full attention toward revenue enhancement. The company is currently finalizing aggressive and focused plans across all of its revenue disciplines so that we can fully address visible opportunities for improvement through refining and investing in our marketing and revenue management strategy."

United's operations continued to demonstrate strong on-time performance, as well as improvements in customer service and satisfaction. In addition, United is continuing to demonstrate its commitment to investing in customers through a number of recently announced enhancements to the travel experience, including the introduction of online Web check-in (EasyCheck-in Online) for customers, the accelerated introduction of EasyCheck-in self-service kiosks, and the reconfiguration of our remaining Boeing 777 aircraft to deploy Economy Plus seating, and to increase leg room and increase seat recline in Business Class. United is also introducing JetConnect technology, so passengers can send and receive email from the plane.

Mugs,,

Don't get me wrong--I want United to do well. I have many friends over there who are hanging on tight. I just am a little wary about a couple things. #1 being whether or not United has paid anything on their airplanes lately (lease payments), and #2 do they have a plan for their LCC etc? I have heard that they will mix it in at the hubs with their mainline. I would think that it might be really confusing for the passengers---United, United Shuttle, United Express, etc. The SARS thing cannot be helping when you need strong summer traffic. I hope you come out of this. It just proves that an airline can already being doing poorly before 9-11, then lose two planes on national TV during that day, survive a nasty bankruptcy, and have 1/2 of your Intl traffic be gone due to a disease (SARS), and still be able to survive. That really is amazing. I hope it works.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back