Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL MEC tough stance on Scope---keep it up!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not sure how that correlates?

How does choosing to leave the DoD equate to a regional pilot being forced out of a job because of scope reversal?

Recall the regional pilots are ALPA members as are the ML pilots....

I would expect that if a ML pilot group took back their scope, which they should, but it caused the unemployment of many fellow ALPA members that some method of protection could be put in place.

The longevity ratio protects the seniority of current ML pilots while acknowledging a regional pilots service to the brand.

So when scope was loosened and plenty of mainline pilots were furloughed, did the regional open their doors and allow them to take their jobs at higher seniority or payrates??? The answer is NO, there was a lot of opposition. The few were not paid more than their hiring position payrate, some UAL were supplemented by their union, not the regional. The few at USAir were given Captain slots and stayed the most junior CA's as FO's leapfrogged them for years, until their seniority could hold higher seniority. The rest were flowthrough agreements, which was whole different animal. By doing what you are suggesting, we are blocking Military folks from jobs, and we are slapping the face of those that left regionals and took the paycut. We need to play fair!!!

Yogi

So when scope was loosened
at the choice of the ML pilots..

and plenty of mainline pilots were furloughed,
Due to ML pilots voting to relax scope...

did the regional open their doors and allow them to take their jobs at higher seniority or payrates???
Again... the regional pilots took regional jobs because that was the only way to gain Part 121 PIC time to even qualify for to apply to the majors...

Now, if ML pilots get scope back, the regional pilots are out of a job.. which is fine.... However, many regional pilots who wanted to fly for ML never applied because they could not/would not make the pay cut to first year pay at ML... That was their choice to stay employed at the express carriers

However, now, if this scope reversal actually happens the regional pilots will have no choice.. they will simply be out of a job...

The issue is here is the unintended consequence of forcing a pilot out of a job.

The answer is NO, there was a lot of opposition. The few were not paid more than their hiring position payrate, some UAL were supplemented by their union, not the regional.
And this is the union, ALPA, protecting its members...

The few at USAir were given Captain slots and stayed the most junior CA's as FO's leapfrogged them for years, until their seniority could hold higher seniority. The rest were flowthrough agreements, which was whole different animal. By doing what you are suggesting, we are blocking Military folks from jobs, and we are slapping the face of those that left regionals and took the paycut. We need to play fair!!!

Yogi
The MIL guys are free to apply to mainline like they always have.... The MIL guys never have nor expected longevity credit pay at a commercial corporation for DoD service... Is there another example of this in union labor? In addition, the MIL guys have their pension or Guard/Reserve...

You seem miffed because I am suggesting that the senior regional pilots get a bridge so they don't have to go from 80K to 30K because they were forced out of a job and onto the street....

Where or how are you harmed? How is a MIL guy harmed here?

Last edited:
You must be new to the airline industry if you don't understand that a company just doesn't give 5 year or 10 year pay to a new hire. Everything on a contract is negotiated. We would have to give something up to give you your longevity pay. That is, of course, assuming that you even get called in for an interview or get offered a job. I have a suggestion for you...during the interview process why don't you express your thoughts to the interviewing Captain. Then let me know how that works out

You must be new to the airline industry if you don't understand that a company just doesn't give 5 year or 10 year pay to a new hire.
You haven't been debating well... in fact you've got debate creep..... your arguement keeps changing as we progress...

Everything on a contract is negotiated.
That is correct.... Some ALPA carriers have preferred interviews for furloughed ALPA pilots.... why would the company do that?

We would have to give something up to give you your longevity pay.
Or perhaps what is the company gaining? Experienced ALPA pilots who know how to fly the brand but more importanly the NAS in Part 121 operations...

Experienced pilots are going to be rare in the next five years... but many regional pilots will not continue if they must go from 80-100K to 30K. This experience is in the best interest of the USA... I think the govt will help convince companies... if it is a labor friendly govt..

That is, of course, assuming that you even get called in for an interview or get offered a job. I have a suggestion for you...during the interview process why don't you express your thoughts to the interviewing Captain. Then let me know how that works out
That won't matter... Airlines will be needing pilots.... why not hire experienced pilots who were forced out of a job on to the street because of union scope....

Look at it from the ALPA regional pilots view... they took regional jobs to be able to be qualed for major airlines. Now their jobs might be gone... they have done nothing sinister or devious... or intentional like vote scope away... they are highly qualified and the majors will need pilots....

Finally, you haven't stated how you'd be harmed... it seems you are against this for personal reasons....

at the choice of the ML pilots..

Due to ML pilots voting to relax scope...

Again... the regional pilots took regional jobs because that was the only way to gain Part 121 PIC time to even qualify for to apply to the majors...

Now, if ML pilots get scope back, the regional pilots are out of a job.. which is fine.... However, many regional pilots who wanted to fly for ML never applied because they could not/would not make the pay cut to first year pay at ML... That was their choice to stay employed at the express carriers

However, now, if this scope reversal actually happens the regional pilots will have no choice.. they will simply be out of a job...

The issue is here is the unintended consequence of forcing a pilot out of a job.

And this is the union, ALPA, protecting its members...

The MIL guys are free to apply to mainline like they always have.... The MIL guys never have nor expected longevity credit pay at a commercial corporation for DoD service... Is there another example of this in union labor? In addition, the MIL guys have their pension or Guard/Reserve...

You seem miffed because I am suggesting that the senior regional pilots get a bridge so they don't have to go from 80K to 30K because they were forced out of a job and onto the street....

Where or how are you harmed? How is a MIL guy harmed here?

Thousands have made the jump and took the paycut. Many were even furloughed. That is the risk. So let me get this straight, you want to increase pay and mitigate risk? At the expense of whom? Management will surely take that out of mainline pilots' pockets. So who do you expect to pay for your proposal? Where will the concessions come from? Why don't you ask all of the junior regional FO's who will benefit by their newly found upgrade. The idea is just ridiculous...

Yogi

So how are you harmed?

I tell you what, Rez. How about if I get furloughed (ie. lose my job), your company has to pay me a rate higher than you are currently making. It's only fair since my hourly rate is far higher than yours. It shouldn't matter that you've been at your regional for umpteen years. All that matters is that my current pay should have value at your regional.

In your example of a 15 year RJ getting ratio'd at year 5 pay, you find it eminently fair that a pilot who never took a chance on his career should be rewarded with an enhanced pay scale. Potentially there are pilots who left that exact same carrier 4 years prior that would then be making less than some RJ captain who stayed at his relatively high pay scale and never took a chance or the initial pay cut. You find that fair, right?

You are asking to come to my carrier at a higher rate than I am currently on right now. But if I were to get furloughed, I doubt you would find it fair for me to be hired as a new hire at your company with a payscale higher than yours. Your idea of what is "fair" is well off of center of the Bell curve. I just hope that you are trying to stir the pot and don't truly believe the drivel you are typing.

In your example of a 15 year RJ getting ratio'd at year 5 pay, you find it eminently fair that a pilot who never took a chance on his career should be rewarded with an enhanced pay scale.

Most of us were never given the opportunity to take that "chance" because you management farmed out all of the flying and hasn't hired in years.

I can see the preferential interview as they are ALPA members. But they would have to start at the bottom of the pay scale. That would have happened if they had applied in the normal course of events. The harm here is indirect, but nonetheless exists as negotiating capital would have to be spent on this issue versus spending it on pilots currently on the list. In any case, the most important task is getting the flying back where it belongs! There will certainly be some short term pain, but the long term outlook for the profession will be exponential! Take it back!

This conversation amuses me quite a bit. There is all this talk of ALPA pilots losing their jobs if CAL scope is maintained in the JCBA. What ALPA pilots?

Skywest: non union
ChaBrickury: Teamsters
Go-Jet: Alter-ego scum (Teamsters)
TSA, XJT: 50 seaters, unaffected by scope tightening
Mesa: Not sure if they fly 70s under the UAL banner, but if so I think they'd be the only ALPA regional to have flying returned to mainline.

Did I miss anyone?

As for the first year pay, remember that the industry standard (DAL, SWA, FDX, JBLU) is now around $50K a year and that will be implemented well before any scope tightening. Heck, we were already offered that in that DAL plus $1 joke from this spring. So sorry Rez, at least at this company, $30K probie pay (actually more like $27K) will be a thing of the past. After our combined almost 1600 furloughs are recalled, the days of newhire poverty at mainline should be long gone!

Latest resources

Back