• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL gets major boost!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, and it currently is down 86% from it's 52 week high of $51.60. The market cap even with today's increase still is only $627M...

UAUA market cap with todays increase is 1.06 billion. That's with a "B" there WateryGrave.

When you get furloughed don't pursue a job on wall street.

Last edited:
...Fact is UAL is integral to this countries economy and the govt. will not let it die.

Yeah, the govt was so kind to UAL during their trip through BK--did you forget about all of the ATSB loan denials? I'm sure the administration is quietly rooting for one of the big legacies to go Chpt 7, and I would further wager that UAL is at the top of their wish list. Well, maybe #2 after US.

Care to make a case for why United is so "integral" to our economy? I think their routes can be redistributed. Lots of job losses, sure....but in the grand scheme, the rest of the airlines would stop shrinking (and furloughing), and if you believe the conventional wisdom, the whole industry's health would improve. I'd be very careful with your "We're too big to fail" assumption--the same phrase is carved on the headstones of a couple of former industry heavyweights.

Before you call me insensitive, I'm not cheering for UAL's demise at all--just trying to paint a picture of how the administration might see things. I have many friends there and my only wish for them is for new management.

By the way, UA got enough cash today to buy JB outright (which would be phenomenally stupid). Maybe that's what's gonna happen. If it's phenomenally stupid it's definitely in play.

PIPE

Not to distract attention away from the " Your Airline Sucks " debate, but, it is all about the money here.

If you can get credit, you get to keep playing. Good job UAUA, hopefully this will be enough to get you through this economic mess and return you to profitability.

This market cap crap is about as legitimate as the supply and demand oil price relationship.

If you think that any of these airlines were worth 5 or 10 times what they're worth now less than a year ago, you're crazy. You probably also believe that the demand for oil has doubled in the last four months.

UAL has worldwide route authorities, branding, gates, slots, frequent flier programs, etc, etc.

I would bet that UA could sell SOME of their route authorities for more than ANYONE would ever give you for JetBlue.

One of us is talking about reality.......one of us is talking about more of the same Wall Street BS that has ruined S&L's, mortgage lending, commodities, tech, etc. You choose which is the real reality.

PIPE

It looks like you have been smoking from the PIPE.

Market cap directly reflects the companies debt burden, access to capital, cash on hand, ect....

This is the part where you put the pipe down and pay some close attention. You may have the nicest house on the block. a Lexus in the drive way and the largest flat screen they make (UAL has worldwide route authorities, branding, gates, slots, frequent flier programs, etc, etc.). It's worth NOTHING, if you are leveraged to the max and you can't service the debt. UAL has maxed out their credit card and making future payments in the current economic enviroment doesn't look good.

Market cap reflects what Walls Street thinks of current mgt and their business plan. Tilton, need I say more, no fuel efficient aircraft on order and the worst hedging of the majors.

Who do you think is going to be the one financing any deal to "UAL has worldwide route authorities, branding, gates, slots, frequent flier programs, etc, etc." That's right Wall Street. The same ones who value UAL less then JBLU.

Time to clean the water in the bong Cheech (or the crack out of the pipe).
Market cap is what you get after all of the good stuff that you blindly refer to gets subtracted from all of the negative stuff that you choose to ignor.

Welcome to reality

Last edited:
Not to distract attention away from the " Your Airline Sucks " debate, but, it is all about the money here.

If you can get credit, you get to keep playing. Good job UAUA, hopefully this will be enough to get you through this economic mess and return you to profitability.

Let me re-phrase that...hopefully it will allow you guys to stick around so that, when economic conditions change for the better, you will have a profitable airline.

UAUA market cap with todays increase is 1.06 billion. That's with a "B" there WateryGrave.

When you get furloughed don't pursue a job on wall street.

Will UAL have to take a charge against the 600 million from Chase for the FF mile deal? IOW, UAL's revenue will decrease by 600 million in the future due to the "advance purchase'?

Also, by reducing their reserve requirement by 350 million, does their total cash remain the same, just moving the 350 from restricted to unrestricted?

So that "makes" 950 million, where's the other 250 million for the 1.2 billion increase?

Will UAL have to take a charge against the 600 million from Chase for the FF mile deal? IOW, UAL's revenue will decrease by 600 million in the future due to the "advance purchase'?

Also, by reducing their reserve requirement by 350 million, does their total cash remain the same, just moving the 350 from restricted to unrestricted?

So that "makes" 950 million, where's the other 250 million for the 1.2 billion increase?

You need a lesson in investing. Market capitalization is calculated by multiplying a company's shares outstanding by the current market price of one share which is used to determine the size of a company instead of using sales, assets, etc. So whatever you are talking about is irrelevant to this discussion.

Last edited:
You need a lesson in investing. Market capitalization is calculated by multiplying a company's shares outstanding by the current market price of one share which is used to determine the size of a company instead of using sales, assets, etc. So whatever you are talking about is irrelevant to this discussion.

It was more of a balance sheet question, but if you can't answer it that's ok.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back