UAL Decision Soon Amid Worries/Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is from today

UAL (OTC BB:UALAQ.OB - News), the bankrupt parent of United Airlines, reported a net loss of $137.3 million in April, according to a regulatory filing made Thursday. Based in Elk Grove Township, Ill., UAL (UALAQ: news, chart, profile) had an operating loss of $75 million, better than the $220 million loss in suffered the same month last year. But rising fuel prices defeated UAL's bid for a profitable month. United aims to exit Chapter 11 bankruptcy by the end of this summer, but that is likely to hinge on whether it secures a $1.6 billion federal loan guarantee from the Air Transportation Stabilization Board.

Still losing $2.5 million per day on operations. That can't be favorable for the decision process. I agree it probably won't be allowed to die before the election and maybe not ever as it fits into the category of " too big to fail ". Still, something has to change there because it can't keep going like it is.

Typhoonpilot

Funds

As you remember. they did receive government funds at the time of the disaster plus a possible loan guarantee.

Both of these were to cover direct losses, not of market losses, but direct losses related to the closing of airspace and the restricitions and other costs that came from it.

This is not a bankruptcy loan or a loan for subsequent market losses. Naturally the airlines portrayed these losses as high as they could to get as much as they could get.

This approach is hurting them now as they want too much and much of it is not directly ----key word--- directly associated with 9/11

F9 got the loan backing sooooo why can't UAL? Looks like the allmighty Frontier LCC took a loss as well........

TED is doing well, people want the service and Miles on UAL, we also fly to TOKYO and LONDON, of course out COSTS are higer, we have SEVERAL types of airplanes and our employee's actually make a LIVING instead of paycheck to paycheck.

Frontier on course for $5.4M loss
High fuel prices, weak sales could end profitable string

By David Kesmodel, Rocky Mountain News
May 27, 2004

Frontier Airlines is expected today to end a string of three profitable quarters by posting a loss that one analyst said might top $5 million and disappoint Wall Street.

Citing high fuel prices and weaker-than-expected sales, analysts on average have been projecting a net loss of about $1 million, or 3 cents a share, for the three months ended March 31.

J.P. Morgan analyst Jamie Baker said Wednesday he expects Frontier to record a net loss of $5.4 million after reviewing financial results the Denver- based discounter filed recently with the U.S. Department of Transportation.

In the filing, dated May 12, Frontier said its net loss in its fiscal fourth quarter was $5.4 million, or about 14 cents a share.

Baker said "Form 41" Transportation Department filings can differ from results reported under generally accepted accounting principles, or GAAP, by excluding one- time gains or charges. But he said he didn't expect any one-time items in the results Frontier will post today.

"We believe Frontier's net loss will reach $5.4 million," he said in a report to investors.

Frontier's filings with the Transportation Department have matched results reported under GAAP in seven of the previous eight quarters, he said.

Frontier spokesman Joe Hodas stressed that the numbers submitted to the Transportation Department are "preliminary and unaudited." He wouldn't comment further.

Baker had been projecting that Frontier would break even in the January-March quarter.

A year earlier, the airline recorded a company-record loss of $13 million as it suffered from Denver's worst blizzard in years.

A loss in the latest period would be the fifth in the past nine quarters for Frontier, which ranks second after UAL Corp.'s United Airlines in the number of passengers served at Denver International Airport.

"For a low-cost carrier, Frontier's grasp on profits is elusive at best," Baker said in his report.

Baker said Frontier's results since 2002 compare favorably with those of big hub carriers such as American. But other discounters have done better, with AirTran reporting only one quarterly loss since the beginning of 2002 and JetBlue and Southwest reporting none, he said.

"In the post-9/11 revenue environment, Frontier therefore appears capable of profit only when oil prices are low and/or UAL mismanagement is high," he said.

His comments followed a negative report Friday by Raymond James & Associates analyst Jim Parker.

Parker, who owns Frontier shares, cut his earnings estimates for each quarter of fiscal 2005, which began April 1. For the April-June quarter, he cut projected profits to 5 cents a share from 11 cents.

He said he made the cuts primarily because of the recent rise in crude oil prices to about $41 a barrel. Frontier hedged only 7 percent of its fuel needs for the first six months of 2004.

In addition to high fuel prices, analysts are concerned about Frontier's tough pricing competition and the possibility that United's new budget carrier, Ted, will wrest cost-conscious fliers from Frontier at DIA.

Frontier shares fell 10 cents, or 1 percent, to $9.55, Wednesday and are down 33 percent this year.

Here ya go Mr. B!

http://www.house.gov/writerep/

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

I wish to voice my opinion on the United Airlines Federal Loan Guarantee. I am not in favor of the loan guarantee and request your influence to deny them the loan guarantee.

United has been a fiscally irresponsible corporation for quite sometime that has already cost the taxpayers with federal financial help. More loans would only create a bigger financial burden to taxpayers once the company does fail completely.

The employees would have to opportunity to find employment with new carriers that are much more fiscally sound and would be a lesser burden to the taxpayer.

Thank you, for your time and consideration. I look forward to following your support in this issue.

Sincerely,

**feel free to edit as desired**

On mine I made "United Airlines Federal Loan Guarantee. I am not in favor of the loan guarantee" bold so they could cut to the chase.

It is easy to write congress use the links above, copy and paste my letter, add your own info/#s if you wish.

We pilots sure are some backstabbin mofos. I'd sell my soul to get your seniority number, job, etc.

Those of you who write to Congress be sure to tear the Pilot unity, Defending the profession,or 9-11 never forget stickers off your bags first.

bpapa

I guess the next question is what will likely happen IF UAL does not get the loan guarantee? What would be the likely next steps?

>>>>We pilots sure are some backstabbin mofos. I'd sell my soul to get your seniority number, job, etc.

Those of you who write to Congress be sure to tear the Pilot unity, Defending the profession,or 9-11 never forget stickers off your bags first.<<<<

You got it all wrong man. The reason we're writing is so there can finally be a strong industry and to actually defend the profession. Bankruptcy laws and other artificial means such as loan guarantees are keeping weak airlines afloat and not permitting business Darwinism to take place. There are too many seats chasing too few people at too low fares because bankruptcy laws and loan guarantees are keeping these weaklings afloat and greatly harming the rest of the industry. Additionaly the bankrupt airlines are driving the pay rates down. Let natural business Darwinism take place and quit propping up the weaklings which in the long term is harming all our careers. When you go out of business and get hired at a stronger airline you will enjoy a more secure future and in the long term, will have less heartburn so accept it and move on. The industry will not get stronger and more secure unles the weaklings are permitted to wither away and quit using 9/11 as an excuse. Bad things happen to businesses all the time and they have to be tough enough to survive them. Besides, all 9-11 did was speed up the inevitable,

Mach 80 stated

"The reason we're writing is so there can finally be a strong industry and to actually defend the profession. Bankruptcy laws and other artificial means such as loan guarantees are keeping weak airlines afloat and not permitting business Darwinism to take place. "

There is a contradiction in that statement. Corporate Darwinism won't stop if/when Ual dissapears, and as long as people continue to start new airlines in a saturated market aviation will never be a "strong industry."

Pilots writing congress asking them to deny Ual's loan are not looking out for the industry. Give us a freekin break man. They are looking out for their own seniority number, upgrade, future growth, etc. I would wager that quite a bit of your sentiment comes from jealousy/ anger over everything Ual has stood for. But I know, just like Ty, you probably never wanted to work for Ual.

I liked your statement that bankrupt airlines are driving the wages down. After two rounds of concessions and cancelling their pensions the Us Air pilots are finally making less than SWA, which pays more than any other LCC. I think you would be hard pressed to find ANY airline analysts that would say the legacy carriers who have been through bankruptcy have been the main force behind declining salaries/benefits.

USAir and UAL gone. Get ready for "the MESA effect." Yeah sure, that will help bring the standards back up. They will just have to change those ads in Flying magazine ---- you know--- the give us all your your cash and we will turn you into an airline pilot in 8 months at our pilot mill by the beach ads. They can keep the picture of the strary-eyed (and sun-tanned) youngster standing proudly in his shiny new uniform. They will just need to substitue an A-320 for an RJ in the background.

Hey, Mach 80 --- man--- do you think all those seats chasing too few customers disappear with a liquidation? Or do you think that just maybe they might come back and suddenly make you and the improvements you obtain over the years the new standard for "high cost?" Defend the profession with your letter. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back