• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL Capt in DEN- December 2010

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Whoa. If a CSR has this authority over a Captain at United, then I will have to purchase a competitors tickets from now on. Have alot of miles on United commuting back and forth to my corporate job through Denver. Especially since United will not back their Captain. I can remember the day that that Captain would have grabbed that CSR by the collar and the seat of his britches and sent him through the door to fetch that bag.

Dizel:

No irony at all.

Once you get "physical" with anyone at work, all bets are off. ALPA or otherwise.

A350

Maybe I missed it, how did you come to the conclusion that the Captain got physical?

Maybe I missed it, how did you come to the conclusion that the Captain got physical?

Like it or not, there was contact. With no witnesses, the CSR can spin the story.

The Captain then attempted to go around him, when he forcibly tried to stop the Captain’s progress again making physical contact. The Captain continued to move to gain access through the door. When it became apparent that the Captain was going to gain access, Mr. ****** abruptly stopped pushing, flopped back and stated, “That’s assault.”

I can remember the day that that Captain would have grabbed that CSR by the collar and the seat of his britches and sent him through the door to fetch that bag.
You must mean around the time of the Tenerife accident. :rolleyes:

Like it or not, there was contact. With no witnesses, the CSR can spin the story.

Certainly he can, but that doesn't mean it happened. Any one can accuse you of anything, but that doesn't make it true.

Just based on what I have read here, this CSR's attitude is known by others.

Last edited:
Just based on what I have read here, this CSR's attitude is known by others.

Dizel, I think you might have something there. If this does go to trial the CA attorneys will probably be able to find many people that will say this agents a jerk (so to speak).

Every state is different - most require an element of intent to be proven for a conviction. I.E. - did the Captain intend to physically harm the CSR or was he simply trying to get around him. It sounds like the CSR was the primary physical aggressor in this situation, but that will be up to the court to decide.

If he so chooses, that Captain could spend a few minutes with a Magistrate and probably get a warrant for the same charge against the CSR. The whole situation is sad, but unfortunately b.s. crap like this clogs up the courts every day.

Certainly he can, but that doesn't mean it happened. Any one can accuse you of anything, but that doesn't make it true. Just based on what I have read here, this CSR's attitude is known by others.
It's all spin from this point on. The CSR called the cops, accusing the CA of assualt. The first question the cops will ask is did you have physical contact with him. I just brushed up against him, I was trying to get around him, whatever, if the answer is yes then the CA is on the defensive from that point on.

Next is like an offensive foul in basketball. Who had position. From the narrative, the CSR was standing in front of the door. The CA tried to push through him. He made the first contact and he initiated the contact. Unless he're running from a greater hazard like a burning plane, that doesn't look good for the CA.

Finally, the sympathies. The wildly wealthy spoiled CA (as is the stereotype and how he will be portrayed) or the harried low paid CSR?

It is outrageous we get treated this way, from gutting our pay and beneftis, to going through security, and then having to deal with our own fellow employees who want to get their ego trip of the day by disrespecting jumpseaters, deadheaders, nonrevs, and even working crewmembers who have to beg to be let down the jetway.

Nevertheless, I would not want to be in this guy's shoes.

From another forum!!!!

The problem is that ALPA WOULD get behind this if it had occurred exactly as the Altar Boy version printed here. From some reliable sources I spoke to today the truth is somewhere in between. The key is to follow the arrest. The pilot "was" a member of an exclusive club in N.M. The cops were actually on his side until he showed his inability to keep his cool and lost it on the jetway. There is supposedly video footage of the entire event and that is being used to validate the CSR's claims. What we have in this thread is an email/council letter of damage control by the LEC and the Capt trying to make him not look like a tool in front of his peers. In the age of the internet it is posted on a forum and gains traction as the gospel. When in fact the Captain's version as posted in the OP are far from the truth and what the video evidence shows.

This comes from a reliable source within the union that says this could wind up being a black eye for ALPA. The CSR and company have too much evidence against him to let him off free. They said termination is still on the table.

The information the ALPA guy had was that the OMC was assigned a seat in the cabin. It had boarding zone 4. The agents were told the overhead bins were full and they were tagging ALL bags for passengers sitting in zones 3-4. The JetBlue pilot handed the agent his boarding pass and the agent tagged his bag per UA procedures. The Capt used some threatening body language toward the agent, didn't know the door code and acted up pretty significantly on the jetway.

Latest resources

Back