• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL Capt in DEN- December 2010

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This tool deserves to go down. Their are two sides to every story and it doesn't suprise me this guy lost his cool. Typical

wow... not making any judgements in this case but, time after time I have heard guys at my airline say they have always had witnesses handy when confronting CSR's, FA's or whoever during these type of situations. It's just to easy for people to lie. To get one of us high and mighty pilots in trouble must give some of these people great satisfaction.

Maybe the Captain was fed up with the general erosion of his authority and made a jackwagon out of himself. Too bad this may cost him his job, I don't think it should but these are the times we live in. A350 said it right, sit down, make some phone calls. For me, it would have ended when the guy prevented my access to the ramp. I would then get a witness (FO perhaps) to watch the guy prevent my access to the ramp.

On a side note, on a recent flight while chatting with the CA during boarding, a FA came up and began to tell us about how her previous front end crew were big jerks. She went on to say she overheard them talking about our President with unflattering terms, claimed they were racists for calling him the N word and then tried to record their conversation using her cell phone. Wow... I didn't make a judgement about the previous crew because I wasn't there, but, the fact that she would have tried to eavesdrop and record something in an effort to punish the front end for their opinions was a little bit of a stunner.

Like it or not, there was contact. With no witnesses, the CSR can spin the story.

I've been using the iphone for some time now.

Whenever there appears to be a possibility of confrontation or dispute; I stop
I say "I'm now turning on my recorder (video or sound) for both our protection."

I carry on the conversation as I should, and the reaction is usually one of give up on their part.

I say "I'm now turning on my recorder (video or sound) for both our protection."

I carry on the conversation as I should, and the reaction is usually one of give up on their part.

It is amazing people's response to being recorded. I have road ragers tailgate me on a road near where I live, weaving back and forth and generally being dangerous and obnoxious. Can't help it if I only go 9 miles over the speed limit. On two occasions I've pulled out my flip phone, opened it, and pointed it at them.

One guy started to pass me and I followed him with the phone as he came up along side. As soon as he saw the phone he put on his brakes, put himself in my blind spot, and stayed there. Slowed down, he slowed down. Sped up, he sped up. Until we parted ways at the next intersection. They immediately realize that their tailgate and wreckless driving, make/model of car, license plate, and face are about to go on youtube, then an email to the local PD with the youtube link. They get it.

And yes, I am a piece of work.
And no, the flip phone doesn't even have a camera.

Last edited:
clr4theapch,

Just curious. Do you have any experience flying a passenger jet in the US that weighs >100k lbs?

Thanks

I'd highly suggest you know verbatim the taping laws of the state you are in before you do the above. A savvy opponet may have you legally keel hauled on stronger grounds than the UAL guy is looking at (not much in his case IMHO).

edit: I found it. http://www.rcfp.org/taping/states.html it's clear as mud in cases, good luck and I give you my jailhouse/cockpit lawyer permission

I think the website was "can I tape" and covered most states, but it's been a long time since I looked.

Life today surely isn't Pappy Boyington running things in the Pacific. A quick fist would solve many problems if done right. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
clr4theapch,

Just curious. Do you have any experience flying a passenger jet in the US that weighs >100k lbs?

Thanks

And this is relevant to the topic, how?

And this is relevant to the topic, how?

He referred to the Captain as a "tool".

He also discounted the effects of stress in performance as a result of a confrontation before a flight. That is a potential huge safety problem.

While I have never been in a situation at that level before a flight, I have seen other power trips by various departments throwing their weight around and pressuring a the pilots to conform to their BS without considering the pilots side of an issue. The intent of a poster is sometimes tough to decipher, I am respectfully asking him if he has ever been in the other seat like this Captain was. The >100K isn't scientific. I know guys who flew nothing bigger than a C172 who excercised command authority more than B777 Captains I've flown with.

He made a post with a reasoning that I am questioning respectfully.

Latest resources

Back