Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL/CAL Merger Buzz Article......(Again)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your CEO is getting a bit "cocky" in the press IMO (look at below article), but I am sure they are thinking about a UAL tie up. If they want it to go smoother than the USAir deal, they will give you a joint contract with big improvements before the SLI.

Ahhh, which CEO isn't though. You don't think Anderson goes home and smirks at his greatness? Please. Granted, you're talking about CEO's, but you don't think Delta as an airline isn't cocky? I see so many billboards and commercials about the "World's Biggest Airline". "The World's Largest Premier Airline". So what's gonna happen if we merge and we become the biggest? Man, I'm concerned. What will the Deltoids do? The horror.....
:D

Show me one post where RA states "My airline will beat up your airline..." Every airline CEO touts their airline, but not one says "Ummm, we are, ummm, going to, ummmm, threaten your airline, ummmmm." Sounds a bit cocky to me. And, can you dispute the fact that Delta is the biggest airline in the world, and carries the most INTL passengers to NYC? (CAL goes to NJ). But, CAL by a wide margin carries the MOST passengers to New Jersey. Dispute any of that.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Anyone listen to the Smisek/Rowe JP Morgan conference call. They say Cal is at a disadvantage by not having 70 seaters due to scope. Having 70 seaters flown by mainline pilots isn't an option because the economics flip over if that happens. Also they are in negotiations with the pilots about the scope.

Link ....(26-27 min mark)

Cal guys/girls we must not give up on scope. F the A++ and the A+++. Let em merge if they want it. FUPM!

Email your reps and let them know.

WHATEVER you do, DON'T give up on the 70 seat scope. Don't do it. You can already see what is happening with the close to 70 seat Dash-8-400s and how they are taking your 737-500 routes up the NE. Don't allow it. Good luck to you guys.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Jesus Franklin....you work for CAL?? I just tasted vomit.

My post is what most would call "humor" directed towards my distinguished colleague and co-worker, Captain X. Lighten up, Francis.

Sorry my humor flew over your head like a 70 seater in UAL colors (<----that one was directed at you).

I find it funny that I have to clarify my position on here, especially to those who know me, but:

No scope? No contract.
FUPM

Sincerely,

B. Franklin
IACP
STARTEAM
ALPA "YES" VOTER
XJTP2P
XJTSPC
CALP2P
FUPM

Read between the lines...

http://www.iata.org/pressroom/airlines-international/february-2010/02.htm

What about the short-haul US domestic markets, which are important feeders to the international routes?

Continental Express is our regional jet operation and Continental Connection is our turboprop aircraft feed. We’ll continue to adjust the size of both depending on the markets and the demand.

Over time, you’ll see us rely less on regional jets. As we grow, we’ll put mainline jets on some of those routes. On the shorter routes, you’ll see us use more Bombardier Q400 turboprops, because they are very attractive aircraft from a unit cost basis. You can think of them as the same trip cost as a 50-seat regional jet, except the turboprop has 74 seats. The aircraft itself is very comfortable and has much lower noise than older turboprops. For a short-haul mission the Q400 is not much slower than a RJ and it has significantly lower unit costs. In the future, I think you’ll see us adding more Q400s and keeping fewer 50-seat RJs in our network.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

"Legacy" airlines need to be more efficient when directly competing with LCC's?.. ok... it's summarized here:

http://www.iata.org/NR/rdonlyres/09...00_Airline_Cost_PerformanceSummary_Report.pdf

Interesting quote from the summary for those "legacy" pilots who don't want to point, click and read:

Cost efficiency is critical for an airline’s ability to compete and survive. Yet not every airline should seek to be the lowest cost operator. There are still many competitive advantages in an efficiently delivered, high quality network model.

FUPM

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Scope relief at CAL, I sure hope not. This is one area where the CAL pilot group is somewhat unified. However, it will not be easy. Off the top of my head, Delta has 76 seat jets, and United has an unlimited number of 70 seat aircraft. Our management wants the same deal.

I remember sitting in the jump seat on Delta, pleading with the pilots, please, please don't give up on scope relief. I guess the bankruptcy was just too much pressure for your pilot group.

I recently read where SkyWest was planning on getting the C series aircraft. The economics just make too much sense, said the article. SkyWest wants this airplane really bad, guess they got a taste of the big RJ and want to go bigger. I would prefer to stay under this contract before I vote for any regional airline to fly 50 seat plus regional jets.

Latest resources

Back