Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL/CAL Merger Buzz Article......(Again)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Scope relief at CAL, I sure hope not. This is one area where the CAL pilot group is somewhat unified. However, it will not be easy. Off the top of my head, Delta has 76 seat jets, and United has an unlimited number of 70 seat aircraft. Our management wants the same deal.

I remember sitting in the jump seat on Delta, pleading with the pilots, please, please don't give up on scope relief. I guess the bankruptcy was just too much pressure for your pilot group.

I recently read where SkyWest was planning on getting the C series aircraft. The economics just make too much sense, said the article. SkyWest wants this airplane really bad, guess they got a taste of the big RJ and want to go bigger. I would prefer to stay under this contract before I vote for any regional airline to fly 50 seat plus regional jets.

Scope hopefully will get shoved down their throat....If the skywest guys want bigger?...THEN APPLY AT THE MAJORS...PERIOD!

Show me one post where RA states "My airline will beat up your airline..." Every airline CEO touts their airline, but not one says "Ummm, we are, ummm, going to, ummmm, threaten your airline, ummmmm." Sounds a bit cocky to me. And, can you dispute the fact that Delta is the biggest airline in the world, and carries the most INTL passengers to NYC? (CAL goes to NJ). But, CAL by a wide margin carries the MOST passengers to New Jersey. Dispute any of that.

Bye Bye---General Lee

So Smisek said, "My airline will beat up your airline"?? Sure, he's confident and abit cocky, but he didn't say anything that wasn't true. Delta didn't even allow us to be a full partner. I'm willing to bet alot of this has to do with our ex execs at Delta now settling personal vendettas. Delta wants to stomp us. By the way, NYC is considered Newark, JFK, and LGA. Hell, even your own schedule screens say (NYC) Newark on them. As far as carrying the most passengers to NYC, I don't know. But the dead Nigerians that keep dropping out of your gearwheels don't count. They have to walk off the plane and be paying.............

I think the general is gonna get stomped and majorly demoted if there is a merger btw CAL and UAL....LOL!

Say what? I am gonna get a huge tub of popcorn and watch a combined UAL and CAL crumble, looking a lot like the USAir East/West debacle. I can't wait. How much debt does UAL have right now again? Hey Yuppy, are you a UAL pilot? You are really going to love that SLI process.

From Jumpilot:

How do CAL and UAL stack up? Following are some relevant numbers. Particularly alarming are the facts that: UAL burned through $1.239 billion in cash just to continue operating in 2008, UAL has net tangible assets of negative $5.117 billion, and UAL's average fleet age is 14.5 years:

• Market Cap 05 Jan 2010: CAL 2.85 B / UAL 2.32 B
  • Total Liabilities: CAL 12.150 B / UAL 20.992 B
  • Net Tangible Assets: CAL (- 348 M) / UAL (- 5.117 B)
  • 2008 Operating Loss: CAL (- 314 M) / UAL (- 4.438 B)
  • 2008 Net Cash Provided by (Used in) Operating Activity: CAL (324 M) / UAL (1.239 B)
  • 2008 TRESM (Total Revenue per Equivalent Seat Mile) : CAL 17.52 / UAL 16.68
  • Average Fleet Age: CAL 10.6 / UAL 14.5

All I can say is WOW.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
So Smisek said, "My airline will beat up your airline"?? Sure, he's confident and abit cocky, but he didn't say anything that wasn't true. Delta didn't even allow us to be a full partner. I'm willing to bet alot of this has to do with our ex execs at Delta now settling personal vendettas. Delta wants to stomp us. By the way, NYC is considered Newark, JFK, and LGA. Hell, even your own schedule screens say (NYC) Newark on them. As far as carrying the most passengers to NYC, I don't know. But the dead Nigerians that keep dropping out of your gearwheels don't count. They have to walk off the plane and be paying.............

Yeah, ok, sure, EWR is part of NYC.........yeah, ok, sure, foohgetaboutit! You can advertise that all you want, it doesn't make it true. And, at least those Nigerians (or parts of them) made it to a real NYC airport, whereas all of your flights to EWR are canncelled thanks to your CEO. But, whatever you do, don't let your planes fall apart and blow up another plane, like a Concorde. How much did that fiasco cost you and your insurance company? Riiiiiight.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
How much did that fiasco cost you and your insurance company? Riiiiiight.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Probably about the same as a fuel tank farm in Dallas... but probably a little more than the approach lights in LGA (that's in NYC, btw).

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back