UAL bids on FLYi assets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mugs said:
Then again, it has always been interesting over the years watching some defend companies that never offered retirements in the first place. Unfortunately, the traveling public never cared about that as they continue to bid ticket prices to levels that will never again support it.

How soon so many forget that only 5 years ago that it was UAL that had the industry leading contract that brought wages and work rules up for many others. Many of these folks don't realize that even without the pension, UAL still has a B and C PDAP plan (equal to 15% of total earned per year) that is still far superior to most airlines out there. This is after having their asses handed to them in BK. It's most of the LCCs out there that pulled UAL wages down. Not the other way around.

c5driver said:
koko nw said:
But your right I overstepped with my lame pass gas remark and I apologize.

I loved being in the T-tail mafia and used to bash my tanker bro's a lot. Guess now since I am one I should stick up for the community. We're all brothers in the same fight anyway. No need to apologize, have a Merry Christmas!:beer:

Thanks bro :), KSUU converted to the 17's recently and the guy's have been coming up to KTCM for training. To the man, they love the plane BUT they miss the crew rest area on the C-5 which ROCKED, which makes the now routine 24 hr Duty day at least palatable.

Oh yeah 3-4 man crew vs 10-14 doesn't hurt either, being den mother made much easier.

Merry Christmas

D-Bo said:
How soon so many forget that only 5 years ago that it was UAL that had the industry leading contract that brought wages and work rules up for many others. Many of these folks don't realize that even without the pension, UAL still has a B and C PDAP plan (equal to 15% of total earned per year) that is still far superior to most airlines out there. This is after having their asses handed to them in BK. It's most of the LCCs out there that pulled UAL wages down. Not the other way around.

Unfortunately, the downward spiral in pilot wages won't stop for quite a while. New startup LCCs pay far less than legacies, putting further pressure on pilot wages. If legacies can't compete on a CASM basis with startups, they'll be forced to continue to cut wages in order to remain competitive.
And if anyone thinks that increasing the retirement age for pilots will not have a negative effect on pilot wages, they're in for a rude awakening.
I wouldn't be surprised to see another 50% reduction in inflation adjusted wages over the next decade.

D-Bo said:
It's most of the LCCs out there that pulled UAL wages down. Not the other way around.

The only way wages are pulled down, is when a pilot group allows it to happen. Place blame at anyone you wish, but the one who accepts the wages is the one to accept the blame, and has to live with it. So far only the Nortwest Mechanics are the only airline employee group anywhere that can complain about wages, and they walked over it. Either accept your wage as something you will work for, or stop complaining about the others in this industry. No one is making you work for those wages.

Dennis Miller said:
The only way wages are pulled down, is when a pilot group allows it to happen. Place blame at anyone you wish, but the one who accepts the wages is the one to accept the blame, and has to live with it. So far only the Nortwest Mechanics are the only airline employee group anywhere that can complain about wages, and they walked over it. Either accept your wage as something you will work for, or stop complaining about the others in this industry. No one is making you work for those wages.

Don't know if you work for an LCC or not but the consequence of not coming down to meet the LCC folks could possibly mean going out of business which would make your day probably. You can be happy where you are but things could always be better. We can argue this view all day long. Be happy were you're at and don't try to make it better.

D-Bo

For any of you folks commuting on Independece, or anyone that has family / neighbors / friends who have purchased tickets for FLYi:

They are shutting down the airline starting January 7th. All pilots and F/As are receiving furlough notices today.

Good luck to all of us.

Sorry to hear that, Good Luck!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back