Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
koko nw,
having trouble with the Enter button?

I find this funny that a bankrupt carrier can bid on items from another bankrupt carrier.

G4G5 said:
UAL bids on FLYi assets

It's like Stevie Wonder bidding on new sun glasses, an absolute waste of time.

UAL is clearly being strategic about it - they don't want JetBlue bidding on the gates, etc. That's all UAL needs, a swarm of E190s flooding into IAD with cheap seats and nice IFE...

Heavy Set said:
UAL is clearly being strategic about it - they don't want JetBlue bidding on the gates, etc. That's all UAL needs, a swarm of E190s flooding into IAD with cheap seats and nice IFE...

I think that there's a bit more to it than that. UAL has run out of gates. The G gates are maxed out and they are currently using a lot of the even gates on the C & D concourse for express operations. If UAL were to get back the A gates, they could open up all of C & D to mainline operations along with greatly reducing the number of flights out of G concourse.
UAL is also short on ground equipment at IAD. They could probably take all of FLYI's ground equipment and still need additional ground equipment.

Heavy Set said:

There's no way than anyone could operate E190's out of the A gates. It is hard enough to fit the CRJ in there.
JetBlue would have to tear the gates down and rebuild if they want to use that area.

flyin4pennies said:
There's no way than anyone could operate E190's out of the A gates. It is hard enough to fit the CRJ in there.
JetBlue would have to tear the gates down and rebuild if they want to use that area.

FLYI uses each finger for 4 or 6 (I can't remember which) CRJs. If they went down to 2 E190s per finger, it could be done. Perhaps not optimum, but there's enough room to fit E190s in there. I think that JetBlue would rather have new E190 gates on the far side of the B gates.

Andy said:
FLYI uses each finger for 4 or 6 (I can't remember which) CRJs. If they went down to 2 E190s per finger, it could be done. Perhaps not optimum, but there's enough room to fit E190s in there. I think that JetBlue would rather have new E190 gates on the far side of the B gates.

Dude, it was tight getting the RJ in and out of the fingers, I don't know!!

Four inside and two at the end to be exact.

Anyone know who moved into the F gates at the IAD main terminal?

Last edited:
flyin4pennies said:

Those gates were designed to be torn down and re-configured easily. That's why they have long glass fingers which are attached to the ground at certain strategic points. It wouldn't take long for jetBlue to configure them.

I was at Indy for many years and would love to see a real LCC force United to provide a good product as opposed to what they have now at IAD.

DH2WN said:
Those gates were designed to be torn down and re-configured easily. That's why they have long glass fingers which are attached to the ground at certain strategic points. It wouldn't take long for jetBlue to configure them.

Even so, how many E190s could they fit into the terminal that they would replace the current A gates with, and is it worth it? Also I agree with the second part of your post.

Juniority said:
I'm sorry, is someone behind the times? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this December the third aniversary of United's attempt to hide out in bankruptcy long enough for market forces to change in their favor?

Yo Junior,

Sounds like they got it right...You get consolation points for figgerin it out.

Murk

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back