• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL 12yr Captain pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA is about the best run airline there is (in regards to effeciency and treating its employees right). I'm not quite sure what crappy work rules you are referring to.

RIF...If you know what that means! I did not say crappy, I said lack. You forget to factor in retirement (CAL/UAL pilots get 13 to 18 % into a retirement account on top of payrates, plus some that still have defined benefit programs), pay for time in customs (something that SWA will find out if they do international someday), pay for certain kinds of hub and spoke model caused delays. Soft pay is huge! What it will come down to is 'cockpit cost per hour', that is what will determine a comparative base. You might want to check out this link, it may actually surprise you...

http://web.mit.edu/airlinedata/www/...ail Cockpit Cost Per Block Hour Summary09.htm

I actually really like SWA. It's just a different business model. You can do mostly 30 minute turns, swap aircraft easily, and run an efficient operation with one type fleet. We can't do that, so we can't get paid 7-8 hrs of block time per day. So we need soft pay! Sometimes, our ops (intnl, etops, hub and spoke) can drag a 14 hr duty day with 4-5 hours of pay. We need different work rules.

Yogi

"Because Swa's lack of many work rules...".

Please give examples of the work rules that are lacking over at SWA.

Smaller per hour rates with equal W-2's equates to extra pay for doing nothing. Not very efficient for long term success, don't mgmt will bite on this one. That type of compensation is reserved for mgmt (the doing nothing part). Thx Yogi.

See my previous post. Hope you understand.

Yogi

I agree w/ yogi and think a lot of people- even those who work for hub and spoke carriers- have forgot why soft pay and rigs exist- pilots should not have to finance the hub and spoke model- and there must be a financial incentive to schedule crews efficiently or they won't.

Thx Yogi. When SWA finally goes international, these types of rules are something SWAPA would have to look at.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back