• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL 12yr Captain pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yep to further dilute the koolaid, how about the Pan Am Chief Pilot who said "Congratulations men, you are all going to be Supersonic Transport Pilots."

Yeah right-that aircraft would have gone way junior. The cockpit was TINY.

Dublin,

Per your request.
Yr

Junior most Capt was hired in Jul '01 as I recall. SWA has downgraded approximately 100 CA's to FOs over the last year, not something SWA has done before but was done to level the manning between the two seats.

Dear Scope Out RJ,

As to your comments about SWA, certainly your view is one perspective, you certainly don't disguise your bias against SWA's business model but that is OK....others on here cheer for SWA's demise which would result in the demise of fellow pilots.

However, that model has been dissected by more academicians and experts than any other airline; most have found SWA to be both a successful business using either normal business standards or even the unhealthy standards found in the airline industry.

Since you don't list your expert qualifications I'm hesitant to take your opinion as the last word on the subject over the likes of Wall Street experts, airline analysts and objective observers of the industry. Maybe if you would like to share your credentials, I'd reconsider sharing your view of SWA's limitations and injurious business practices to the industry overall and to the ultimate judge of a company's worth, its customers, the American public.

To the 3780+ pilots identified below who are on furlough I would think that if given a choice and the opportunity (I know some of them did apply and for whatever reason weren't selected) to fly at SWA even with "evil" PFT and substandard wages/retirements, you might find their view a little different.

BTW, we have quite a few of these furloughed pilots and the ones I've talked to haven't shown much interest in going back to their old airline. Must be the koolaid (or steady paycheck) or a myriad of other reasons.

I hate to think of anyone losing their job in these tough economic times. Each of those numbers below represent families, children, spouses who have suffered through the harshest of economic troubles....my prayers are with them as I can not imagine their pain as I have never been furloughed.

Bashing fellow pilots who are employed at either SWA or regional (because of a dislike for scope clauses) or legacy carriers (because they have given away flying to regional carriers) says more about those who spout those thoughts than the intended target.

As stated, I have never lived through a furlough and hope never to....one reason why I chose SWA. I realize more and more how fortunate that choice has been. I wish only the best for other airlines in hopes of bringing their furloughed pilots back to work.

Their's enough brutality in this business without pilots attacking the few companies that are providing steady employment to fellow pilots. Just my $.02.

CAL was showing 147 furloughed. (July 26, 2010)

UAL 1437 furloughed (May 2010)

DAL & HAL showing 0 furloughed

US Air 220+ (July '10)

AA 1890 furloughed (Jun '10)

Alaska 93 furloughed (July '10)

All info from airlinepilotcentral.com

Last edited:
It's funny that you took offense to my post. I was just making a comparison. However if you are in the mood to compare apples to oranges, your pay and benefits equation should figure in a 1-5 year furlough at UAL vs a two year upgrade at VA.

I will compare, year 6 Captain at jetblue (me) on an E-190 out earns an A-320 captain at VA.

****************************** bag, MR. CL65, you probabaly have not been around the industry long enough to even understand what has happened to it. Its the evil "C" word, CONCESSIONS a result of a BANKRUPTCY, did you know UAL was in it? Don't b&tch if you don't know the history. You need to dig up some info and read how the rates got that low and how they will continue to get lower. The CL65 is part of that problem so is every new start up or Republic types out there.

Come on pal let's be friends. We don't know even know each other, if we did you'd understand that I'm a huge d-bag. As far as the history goes, let's get serious. That was years and many Ted's ago, (people in Chicago still wonder what the hell Ted is when they see it on the faded CTA bus sticker.)
Somehow the new Delta has 12,000 pilots, a failed marketing strategy as well (even worse name Song), more overhead than United, and there contract is still better. Not to mention SWA's contract.
I really hope the UAL/CAL pilots get something good, it's good for all of us. But it's a disgrace right now.

The chunk that management took from the pilot group was so large that they can give a small fraction of it back and make it look like a "big raise" and while they are at it, trick the pilots into giving up more scope, or at the very least allowing the current level of job killing insanity. Watch for it.

Chase

Classy and well written as always. Delta seems to have an abundance of folks like Scope Out RJ's.

Dublin,

Per your request.
Yr

Junior most Capt was hired in Jul '01 as I recall. SWA has downgraded approximately 100 CA's to FOs over the last year, not something SWA has done before but was done to level the manning between the two seats.

Dear Scope Out RJ,

As to your comments about SWA, certainly your view is one perspective, you certainly don't disguise your bias against SWA's business model but that is OK....others on here cheer for SWA's demise which would result in the demise of fellow pilots.

However, that model has been dissected by more academicians and experts than any other airline; most have found SWA to be both a successful business using either normal business standards or even the unhealthy standards found in the airline industry.

Since you don't list your expert qualifications I'm hesitant to take your opinion as the last word on the subject over the likes of Wall Street experts, airline analysts and objective observers of the industry. Maybe if you would like to share your credentials, I'd reconsider sharing your view of SWA's limitations and injurious business practices to the industry overall and to the ultimate judge of a company's worth, its customers, the American public.

To the 3780+ pilots identified below who are on furlough I would think that if given a choice and the opportunity (I know some of them did apply and for whatever reason weren't selected) to fly at SWA even with "evil" PFT and substandard wages/retirements, you might find their view a little different.

BTW, we have quite a few of these furloughed pilots and the ones I've talked to haven't shown much interest in going back to their old airline. Must be the koolaid (or steady paycheck) or a myriad of other reasons.

I hate to think of anyone losing their job in these tough economic times. Each of those numbers below represent families, children, spouses who have suffered through the harshest of economic troubles....my prayers are with them as I can not imagine their pain as I have never been furloughed.

Bashing fellow pilots who are employed at either SWA or regional (because of a dislike for scope clauses) or legacy carriers (because they have given away flying to regional carriers) says more about those who spout those thoughts than the intended target.

As stated, I have never lived through a furlough and hope never to....one reason why I chose SWA. I realize more and more how fortunate that choice has been. I wish only the best for other airlines in hopes of bringing their furloughed pilots back to work.

Their's enough brutality in this business without pilots attacking the few companies that are providing steady employment to fellow pilots. Just my $.02.

CAL was showing 147 furloughed. (July 26, 2010)

UAL 1437 furloughed (May 2010)

DAL & HAL showing 0 furloughed

US Air 220+ (July '10)

AA 1890 furloughed (Jun '10)

Alaska 93 furloughed (July '10)

All info from airlinepilotcentral.com

Chase,
Great points except that if it weren't for SWAPA carrying the torch for age 65 for all those years and eventually coercing ALPA and the FAA to go along, how many of those above furloughs would have been mitigated, and how many more pilots would have been hired by SWA due to their movement?
BK's, economic factors, scope issues, industry consolidation all contributed to the furloughs, but SWAPA's age 65 initiative couldn't have come to fruition at a worse time to exacerbate it.
You and a few others seem to express dismay for the furloughs, but for most of the senior pilots, it's a "part of the industry that is to be endured".
No doubt that SWAPA spent the better part of the 80's and 90's with substandard pay, no retirement and no medical past retirement, hence their outstanding success at growth.
I give their mgt kudos for fostering a loyal pilot corps despite those factors during those decades, and they earn those kudos by absorbing extra labor during slow periods instead of following most other mgmts down the furlough path.
At first the legacies though they could compete on the backs of regionals and the backs of their labor. Now that SWAPA has drug the rest of the industry down to them or below hem through competition which lead to BK's and consolidation, we'll see how much difference there is going forward.
SWA runs a pretty conservative operation, always have. They leave millions of potential profit behind when things are good, but don't absorb huge losses when things aren't. They continue to set the market for many of the domestic routes, but increasingly the VA's, JB's, AT's of the domestic system will start to become a thorn in their side.
Best of luck to us all........
LUV

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back