• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UA "national seniority list"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok Fubi, here's another scenario for you....

Airline A is doing well and has just given a new contract to its pilots with a large raise. Airlines B through Z are now well underpaid so many senior pilots from those airlines decide to interview at airline A so that they can get an immediate pay raise. Since their seniority is now portable, they can do this with no penalty.

Seniority is not portable and will never be unless Airline A plus B - Z agree or Congress creates a law that creates seniority.

Why would airline A agree to hire a new hire and pay him 12 year longevity?

They wouldn't and since seniority is an negotiated right not an imposed or natural right you guys all smoking the same thing as Spicoli.

Seniority is not portable and will never be unless Airline A plus B - Z agree or Congress creates a law that creates seniority.

Why would airline A agree to hire a new hire and pay him 12 year longevity?

They wouldn't and since seniority is an negotiated right not an imposed or natural right you guys all smoking the same thing as Spicoli.

Perhaps you should read my previous posts on this thread...since you and I seem to be in agreement.

I'm interested.

If your an airline pilot and your company is standing before the BK judge, what steps do you take to prevent the bailout of your management.

Just so I have this these steps handy, give me as much detail as possible.

Thanks!

Sure- you set up a system where pilots aren't married to their company by seniority- that's what this entire conversation is about man- management industry wide know that we have to start completely over at the bottom if we change companies- so it ties our hands under any financial duress- we need our airlines to last... Whereas mgmt... Ehh... They can grab the next job and maybe even get a payraise. No employee group in any profession, save SBO, is so financially tied to their company as we are-

a NSL solves this problem-

it is negotiated- it would have to be a priority for the union and all MEC's would need to look farther down the road- make it strike- worthy- every other wage earner in the US thinks we are dumb for how we've set up our career- and it's leverage we shouldn't be giving our companies.

Sure- you set up a system where pilots aren't married to their company by seniority- that's what this entire conversation is about man- management industry wide know that we have to start completely over at the bottom if we change companies- so it ties our hands under any financial duress- we need our airlines to last... Whereas mgmt... Ehh... They can grab the next job and maybe even get a payraise. No employee group in any profession, save SBO, is so financially tied to their company as we are-

a NSL solves this problem-

it is negotiated- it would have to be a priority for the union and all MEC's would need to look farther down the road- make it strike- worthy- every other wage earner in the US thinks we are dumb for how we've set up our career- and it's leverage we shouldn't be giving our companies.

Well despite your writing style, I think I agree with this. (See earlier post within this thread.)

However, as previously inquired, what does this have to do with BK court?

Of course it is. What is amazing is that it was the UAL MEC that honchoed deleting "DOH" from the ALPA merger/frag policy the first time they tried to merge with USAir.

Ironic, isn't it?

WRONG!!!! But, don't feel bad, as it is a commonly held misconception.

DOH was removed from ALPA merger policy in the Spring of 1991!

And, a 'Gold Star' for anyone who can name the event and group that prompted it???? Anyone??

For what its worth.

PD

Delta PanAm?[/QUOTE]

BINGO, We have a Winner and that was quick. A Gold Star for Dan!!

The ALPA met on a quickly called weekend meeting, and took a 'sharpie' to the line; 'Seniority lists shall be integrated within ALPA merger policy by Date of Hire.' (not the exact wording, but close, used to have the original copy somewhere. But, that is all they did was take a sharpie through 'one line.')

Within a few weeks, guess what, Delta announced that they were buying the North Atlantic Routes and Frankfurt Hub of Pan Am. What are the 'odds'!!!! Then those Pan Am guys were 'kicked in the teeth' And, the Funny thing is that even if Every Pan Am guy was at the top of the Delta list, pretty much ALL would have been GONE in a mere 2-3 yrs!!!

ALPA merger policy was changed, not out of some kinda All encompassing 'Fairness and Equality' but just changed by one pilot group, just so they could 'screw' another pilot group for their own benefit. That's OUR Profession. Kinda makes me PROUD, or NOT.

Just my thoughts, even if i was #1 at delta at that time, I would have gladly let them have their 'rightful' seniority and fly out the last 2-3 yrs of their long careers, doing what they Always did and Flown; out of simple 'Respect'!!! But, that just me.

For what it worth.

PD

Now back to your normal, mindless FI rants.....

Last edited:
I stand corrected!

instead of creating a NSL which would be difficult to do at best, why don't unions negotiate a payscale that isn't so wide ranging. Instead of making first year $30/hour and 12year 100/hour just compress those numbers, to something like $65 first year and $85 12th year. or create a dual payscale. A new hire would have a one time chance to decide if they want to be on the $30/$100 scale or the $65/$85 scale. I noticed in the recent contract proposal to the company at CAL had something like this with the retirement portion. I think there were 3 different options each had different percentages associated with the A fund and b fund.

instead of creating a NSL which would be difficult to do at best, why don't unions negotiate a payscale that isn't so wide ranging. Instead of making first year $30/hour and 12year 100/hour just compress those numbers, to something like $65 first year and $85 12th year. or create a dual payscale. A new hire would have a one time chance to decide if they want to be on the $30/$100 scale or the $65/$85 scale. I noticed in the recent contract proposal to the company at CAL had something like this with the retirement portion. I think there were 3 different options each had different percentages associated with the A fund and b fund.

Please tell us you are joking. Top out at $85.00/ an hour? At that point the job is all yours.

Latest resources

Back