• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

U.S. government, two airlines say open to settling merger fight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The next step comes Monday when the warring parties are scheduled to meet with Levie in an effort to resolve the impasse. On Tuesday, there?s a status conference with U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly, who is hearing the case.

Sometime after that, sooner rather than later, Levie is expected to rule.

In Friday?s filing, the airlines (the defendants) explain why the DOJ (the plaintiffs) are wrong and should be required to provide the names who may have influenced the DOJ?s decision to file a lawsuit:

?Plaintiffs acknowledge that Interrogatory 1 seeks only facts and names?yet insist it seeks attorney mental impressions. It does not. It seeks only relevant ?factual information? provided by third-party interviewees, and the identities of those interviewees.

?The government cannot hide these facts behind the work-product doctrine simply because they are recorded in legal memoranda ? the memoranda may be protected, but the facts are not.?

Who is Levie?

Hmm. Sounds racist.

I think the DoJ is terrified that some of those that influenced the decision to block the merger will be linked to other mainline airlines. If so, and other airlines are found to be behind the lawsuit, the case is as good as dead. My best legal guess is that the DoJ will, indeed, be required to turn over the names of those they interviewed before filing the lawsuit.

I think the DoJ is terrified that some of those that influenced the decision to block the merger will be linked to other mainline airlines. If so, and other airlines are found to be behind the lawsuit, the case is as good as dead. My best legal guess is that the DoJ will, indeed, be required to turn over the names of those they interviewed before filing the lawsuit.

I really hope they force the doj to give up the goods this week and that there are a couple airline management types involved. How freaking stupid would the doj look. Surely they can't be that dumb. Oh wait its the government yes they can.

I hope you are right. Alternatively though, if the DOJ gets away with this and any other like antics, I fear this merger is as good as dead.

The rule of law means not a damned thing to this administration. They rule by fiat and selectively waive or enforce the law.

- Defense of Marriage act
- unilaterally revising the timeline and exemptions in Owebamacare
- declaring federal marijuana laws will not be enforced
- declaring that there will be no enforcement of voting laws if the perpetrators are negroes
- submit ZERO budgets in the last what 5 years?

This will be a power contest, pure and simple. Don't bother with legalities, doodz. That's old school. We new skool nah.

Last edited:
So wasn't a decision supposedly due today for whether the DOJ has to cough up some docs? Can't find anything online as of now. I know there's a status hearing tomorrow with the judge for the trial.

Latest resources

Back