• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

U.S. Airways trying to buy Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To the contrary...it would have to happen before Delta emerges from BK. to be successful at these dollars.

FWIW here is the quote from the press release.

TEMPE, Ariz. Nov. 15, 2006 — US Airways Group, Inc. (NYSE: LCC) announced today that it has made a merger proposal to Delta Air Lines, Inc. (OTC: DALRQ.PK) under which both companies would combine upon Delta’s emergence from bankruptcy.

Hereis the webcast.
Here is a .pdf of the .ppt presentation.

Page 18
• Reduce service to marginal markets
• Discontinue unprofitable flying (for example, point-to-point)

Page 22
– US Airways / America West reduced fleet 15% initially
– No mainline furloughs post merger, have begun hiring in every work group

The "Connections" and "Expresses" will take the hit because of overlap. That's what I'm putting my money on.

The plan has this happen before DA comes out of Ch 11 (see page 17) so they can still break contracts. I'm confused why the press release is different.

Last edited:
Consolidation+raising the retirement age = cats and dogs, living together. :eek:

The problem with DAL getting other bids is twofold. One, LCC already has the $$ lined up, a huge advantage. Don't count out other Wall St Bankers coming up with a bid quickly...it happens all the the time. They let Citicorp do the dd, then they just hop on board. Bankers love to make it more expensive for their rivals to make money. This deal is going to cost more than $8B. Two, the timing was carefully crafted IMO to allow LCC just enough time to get DAL prior to BK exit but close enough to it that other bidders won't be able to put together a viable package to contest it. There will, of course, be some carve-outs: AA will most likely get the extra shuttle, and I'm sure there will be some others as well.
The deal needs to be put together while in BK(to jettison various baggage ie: Comair, but consumated once they exit.)

Also, I'll bet Grinstein has known about this for quite sometime. He is a Wall St insider, and it's my guess he played possum to keep the indians from getting too restless at DL.

:pimp:​

This is the first offer for Delta. This puts the pinch on the others that are wanting to be have a part of them also.

Today is ground zero in the final consolidation of the legacy side of the industry.

Lets hope it goes well.:cool:

The integration of USAirways and America West has not been smooth - for example, the pilot groups hate each other from what I have heard. Now Parker wants to add Delta and its pilot union to this mess. Former hub-communities like Pittsburgh have not faired well as a result of the merger - Pittsburgh has drastically reduced its service to the detriment of Pittsburgh business people. PIT airport now resembles a ghost town.

And now Parker wants to reduce overlap and essentially take competitors out of certain markets that would normally help to keep fares low. Yeah, the average consumer requiring low fares would support that...

The integration of USAirways and America West has not been smooth - for example, the pilot groups hate each other from what I have heard. Now Parker wants to add Delta and its pilot union to this mess. Former hub-communities like Pittsburgh have not faired well as a result of the merger - Pittsburgh has drastically reduced its service to the detriment of Pittsburgh business people. PIT airport now resembles a ghost town.

And now Parker wants to reduce overlap and essentially take competitors out of certain markets that would normally help to keep fares low. Yeah, the average consumer requiring low fares would support that...

I hear ya.

But this would work. The employees might not be happy but the network would be appealing to many consumers.

Consolidation will make for a more profitable industry. Thats an obvious appeal to management and stockholders.

The real question is what is the industry going to resemble in a couple years.

The good news is that James Oberstar isn't buying it.

He was on CNBC this afternoon talking about the current mantra that the industry "needs consolidation". He called it "nonsense" and said that the airlines are "doing well". What is needed is more competition, not less...in his words.

slow down there haus...

For the record the pilots at AAA and AWA do not hate each other. We simply want what is best for our respective pilot groups. The arbitrator will see to it that we are all good and mad in the end. PIT was pulled way down long before Parker got a hold of AAA. And as far as fares go, well we all know SWA will be there to keep us honest...
Andy

P.S. where's my fricken bottle of Tums

Latest resources

Back