U Fly Mike / Bose Quiet 2 TSO issue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
U fly mike

Wondering who moved this to the GA forum?
Thought I placed it in the regional forum, but then again, it was early and this is many days in a row of working

IM a BIG fan of this unit.
Best $500 I have ever spent in aviation.
No stock in the company, no interest, just a big fan, thats all!

If they can fix the problem of having the headset die when battery power runs out I'm all for it. The qc2 is far more comfortable than my sennheisers since they don't press down on my ears.

Does anyone know why ASA is giving us memo's about not using TSO'd headsets?

We suspect that Bose is behind it.

There is no FAR requirement to use a TSO'd headset. Installed headsets/mikes, i.e., that come in the aircraft from the manufacturer AND that are on the MEL/CDL, must be TSO'd. They're kept in good order by your maintenance personnel.

For ASA, and other air carriers that have decided TSO'd headsets are required, ask your chief pilots what inspection, maintenance and repair program has been established to maintain those TSO'd headsets. You'll get a blank stare.

Without it, the requirement is meaningless.

Mike

We suspect that Bose is behind it.

There is no FAR requirement to use a TSO'd headset. Installed headsets/mikes, i.e., that come in the aircraft from the manufacturer AND that are on the MEL/CDL, must be TSO'd. They're kept in good order by your maintenance personnel.

For ASA, and other air carriers that have decided TSO'd headsets are required, ask your chief pilots what inspection, maintenance and repair program has been established to maintain those TSO'd headsets. You'll get a blank stare.

Without it, the requirement is meaningless.

Mike
Again, more disinformation FAR 121.359(g)
(g) For those aircraft equipped to record the uninterrupted audio signals received by a boom or a mask microphone, the flight crewmembers are required to use the boom microphone below 18,000 feet mean sea level. No person may operate a large turbine engine powered airplane or a large pressurized airplane with four reciprocating engines manufactured after October 11, 1991, or on which a cockpit voice recorder has been installed after October 11, 1991, unless it is equipped to record the uninterrupted audio signal received by a boom or mask microphone in accordance with §25.1457(c)(5) of this chapter.

FAR 21.305 - Approval of materials, parts, processes, and appliances.

Whenever a material, part, process, or appliance is required to be approved under this chapter, it may be approved --

(a) Under a Parts Manufacturer Approval issued under §21.303;

(b) Under a Technical Standard Order issued by the Administrator. Advisory Circular 20-110 contains a list of Technical Standard Orders that may be used to obtain approval. Copies of the Advisory Circular may be obtained from the U.S. Department of Transportation, Publication Section (M-443.1), Washington, D.C. 20590;

(c) In conjunction with type certification procedures for a product; or

(d) In any other manner approved by the Administrator.

The Advisory Circular 20-110 does list "headset manufacturers" under TSO C57A that hold TSO approval for their headsets, alas, UflyMike does not appear. This issue is the same as 256KTS below 10,00ft MSL, legality vs practicality. Mike has a financial dog in this fight, mine is academic. He is pursuing a TSO, that says it all. If its not required why pursue something not required. Point, set, match! Remember its all good until something happens. You wanna be sittin' in your plane when the FAA walks up and says "Hi, I am here to help you", please show me your certificates, medical and....headset please. If you were gonna go fly a 121 operated flight and they wanna hold you to the letter of the regulations, you answer it yourself. I use a TSO approved and listed by part number headset. Oh yeah, continued airworthiness as well maintenence is set up in the TSO process, but I venture that Mike knows that.
Ola
PBR
P.S. For those questions about the FAA headset:
§ 125.317 Inspector's credentials: Admission to pilots' compartment: Forward observer's seat.

(a) Whenever, in performing the duties of conducting an inspection, an FAA inspector presents an Aviation Safety Inspector credential, FAA Form 110A, to the pilot in command of an airplane operated by the certificate holder, the inspector must be given free and uninterrupted access to the pilot compartment of that airplane. However, this paragraph does not limit the emergency authority of the pilot in command to exclude any person from the pilot compartment in the interest of safety.

(b) A forward observer's seat on the flight deck, or forward passenger seat with headset or speaker, must be provided for use by the Administrator while conducting en route inspections. The suitability of the location of the seat and the headset or speaker for use in conducting en route inspections is determined by the Administrator.

Last edited:
PBRstreetgang,

Not sure the purpose of your quotes from the FARs, but they don't say a TSO'd headset is required, only a boom mike below FL180 and appropriate tie-ins to a CVR. FAR Part 25 describes how a TSO certification is acquired but no establishment of requirements for the use of TSO'd articles.

We are getting a TSO because it's easier than fighting the misinformed and trying to educate the masses that are under the misperception that a TSO means something. A TSO is not a TSO. There are 23 categories of testing just under RTCA/DO-160E. The FAA has no set requirements for which category/categories a TSO applicant must test their article under, e.g., the Bose X was only tested under 9 of the 23 categories. To further confuse the issue, there are numerous sub-categories, e.g., the Bose X is only certified to 15,000 MSL, one of the lowest sub-categories.

As far as maintenance, a TSO'd article that isn't maintained under approved maintenance procedures is no longer TSO'd, e.g., sending your altimeter out for repair. If it doesn't come back with the "yellow tag" paperwork, it's no longer a TSO'd article. Likewise, any modification by a third party must be TSO'd. Changing the earseals or adding a headband pad is technically in violation of FAR Part 25, Subpart O. You can see how ridiculous this gets.

You mentioned TSO-C57a. That's an old TSO. It was actually accompanied by TSO-C58a, also. Prior to them were TSO's-C57 and C58. The new TSO is C139. It replaces both C57a and C58a. If your air carrier doesn't recognize all those TSOs as being "legal" under their new guidance, someone needs to help them with their homework.

I believe you are referring to aircraft equipment when you refer to the jumpseat. That's a different deal than your personal headset. The handmikes and headsets installed in the aircraft are listed on the MEL/CDL and accountable by maintenance.

Mike

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back