• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LearLove

MEC CODE-A-PHONE UPDATE
June 21, 2006
This is Arnie Gentile with a US Airways MEC update for Wednesday, June 21st, with one new item.

Yesterday, we reported on the special conference call the MEC held on June 19 in closed session, where the MEC considered the latest America West proposal on EMB-190 flying. Absent a counterproposal from the US Airways MEC following the meeting, the America West MEC proposed taking this issue to arbitration. MEC Chairman Jack Stephan has authorized the Merger Committee and merger counsel Dan Katz to engage in the necessary preparations to arbitrate the EMB-190 growth flying issue. There will be more updates on this topic as they become available.

Please remember we still have 1,594 pilots on furlough with 178 pilots working at Jets for Jobs carriers.

Thank you for listening.

Now can ALPA say "oops, just kidding" about the slave wages they agreed to fly the 190 for until 2018? That was done by the U NC with no input from AWA, right? Maybe in the combined contract they can fix the pay now that they have secured the flying.

Dewey Oxberger said:
Now can ALPA say "oops, just kidding" about the slave wages they agreed to fly the 190 for until 2018? That was done by the U NC with no input from AWA, right? Maybe in the combined contract they can fix the pay now that they have secured the flying.
What in the sam hill are you talking about? This arbitration has nothing to do with the 190 pay rates. Plus, ALL AWA pilots had a chance to vote on the Transition Agreement which included the 190 rates.

Dewey Oxberger said:

Those who are held captive by their ignorance simply refuse to allow the facts to interfere:rolleyes:

PHXFLYR:cool:

Has it been the plan for Cactus to fly RJ's all along? I must have been hiding under a rock somewhere.

The 190 is a growth aircraft. The pay is the same whether it is an East or West pilot in the seat. I think the main point of contention is the inability of the AWA pilots to even have the option of bidding the plane.

I recall the TA also mentions something about a bridge program to allow east and west pilots to participate in growth flying.

What do we get instead? A complete shutout on the west side, why? I think that the company wants the East to fly them because the type is already on the certificate over there and because the East's work rules are weaker than the West's.

It is my impression that the East MEC will be dragged kicking and screaming through this merger trying to get every nibblet of flying they can. And, well they should. As much as I dislike the fight, I would hope that my MEC in a similar situation would act exactly the same. Instead, my MEC is the one that has to react to the East's inability to compromise and is forced to take everything to arbitration.

Here's the real problem though, the resentment is beginning to build out west. The TA was agreed upon by both, but only East is seeing any benefit from growth flying (757's and 190's). A day will come when the lists are integrated and we are one. We should be building this thing together so that we can be a cohesive unit; unfortunately all I see happenning is a stratification of East vs West and the company being able to play us off against eachother.

Heaven help us.

Yup the longer the east delays the more seats that can be filled and proteced by the no bump no flush provision.

Unless both MEC's and Parker get their sh!t together this is going to be a very volatile and fractured pilot group.

So much for the SWA employee relations model.

Time will tell

You guys could go a long way towards some goodwill by saying, "Aww heck, you guys have over one THOUSAND pilots on furlough -- go ahead and take the RJs. We can get some growth later on."

But we all know ALPA's motto don't we? "I've got mine. Screw you."

First of all, we're both ALPA carriers. Second both sides agreed and the company signed the TA allowing for the sharing of growth flying and lastly, any vacancies created will cause a recall. If guys leave the Airbus to take the 190 slot, the opening will go to a furloughed pilot.

So Rabbl, I don't understand your point.....

Latest resources

Back