• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

U/AWA E190 flying => Arbitration?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You are making the assumption that you will be senior to the recalled furloughees.

That may be true. Unfortunately though, nobody has a crystal ball. The arbitrator may decide that the US Airways pilot hired in 1988 and currently furloughed deserves some credit for his longevity.

That's one of the pitfalls of arbitration. You give control over your situation to that individual. So we really dont know if it is "your" upgrade yet.

Doesn't the arbritrator work for Alpa and the company? after talking to a Arbritration lawyer he seemed to think that the furloughed guys can't even be represented in the case because they do not pay dues at this time. I don't know. Thats just what he said.

I'm not saying that a 1998 furloughed US Air pilot shouldn't get anything for his longevity. he should. Which is the appropriate pay. But as far as senority goes I don't think any furloughed guy or gal should go ahead of any active America West pilot. America West was hiring 300 pilots per year before the merger and US Air was furloughing more. Just my .02

Bill Nelson said:
Has it been the plan for Cactus to fly RJ's all along? I must have been hiding under a rock somewhere.

The 190 is not an "RJ" The term RJ is put out to downgrade our job to try and make it look like we do something less than we do. Its just an "RJ", that is a term that has been blown out of proportion and MGMT loves it.

You are right indoc would not be a big deal since thats going to be started real soon when the furloughed pilots start back.I think maybe a fair way to handle the 190 situation might be that when the bid comes out for the east pilots a bid also comes out at the same time for the west pilots for the same number of Captain positions. Then once the bid closes if you were awarded a Captain position and are a west pilot you would be guranteed that seat once the merger is complete and you would get 190 Captains pay from the effective date of the bid award. Then once the merger is complete you would be trained and you would be protected as a Captain know matter what the arbatrator ruled in the senority ruiling meaning you could not get bumped out of your Captain seat unless you bid off to another aircraft position. I know this is not a perfect situation and if Doug would just take 1 190 and send it to Phx and then send 1 to Phl and just keep that delivery 1 for 1 up until we completed the merger it would make life easy for both pilot groups but I think management likes when the pilot group argues over who is going to fly what and who is going to be a Captain because it takes time away from getting a better contract and they get what they want. I am not writng on this board to start an argument with any AWA pilot.You were put in the same situation I was 19 years ago when I had a good thing going when I got hired by Piedmont Airlines and then to be bought out buy USAir and to deal with the changes and senority issues that faced a very young Piedmont Pilot group vs a older USAir pilot group. I just know if you are 40 or younger you will move up fast and have a good career.

Ok... ok... I'll probably speak and then get told to go back to my corner but I believe that Eastshore Aviation which is AIR WISCONSIN was the first to come investing in US Air in 2005 BEFORE the AWA/U merger was announced and then everyone wanted to invest. It may have just been the "bridge loan" that was needed for time but it is what happened.

So when can AWAC pilots see some of those 190 CA slots?

I know I know... back to my corner.

PHXFLYR said:
Those who are held captive by their ignorance simply refuse to allow the facts to interfere:rolleyes:

PHXFLYR:cool:

Now that's some funny $hit!! Ya think that statement also applies to HH?? See ya round the funny farm.

WD.

Bird

I agree with your contention that dave should just divide up the 190's 1 for 1. That is the only fair way to do it, But alas I think that you are spot on that he likes it when we fight amongst ourselves. It keeps our focus off the rest of the issues, the main one being that he wants to keep the east contract for all of us.

Good luck time will tell, Hopefully I'll be yanking gear for you at some point.

Cheers

Bender

My contention is not that I will be more senior to all the furloughed guy after the arbitration, Who knows. My point is that I AM SENIOR to them NOW. We are getting new planes that they cannot even bid for. I don't think I should have to abrogate my bidding rights so a guy on furlough can be recalled to the left seat and get paid more that me AND work in a part of the country in which I live.

I've been on the furoughed line a couple of times, it BLOWS. That being said, I never felt I had a right to fly airplanes in front of an active pilot. That would be unrealistic. A furloughed pilot has no real career expectations especially to a carrier that was on the brink for a second time. This is painful and may be stirring the pot but it is a realistic point of view. Who knows the arbitrator may go DOH, It's up to him. At this point we are all at his mercy.

Last edited:
Hopefully we do a lot better than just keeping the west contract. I've flown with several guys who think it would be some kind of victory to maintain the status quo on this one. Not getting a raise is basically taking a paycut when you factor in inflation and cost of living increases. Everyone involved in this deal (management, investors, stockholders, etc) are making a truckload of money yet we must accept a cost neutral contract???? That is the biggest buch of horsesh!t I've heard in a long time.

Md80dvr-I'm not implying that you think we don't deserve a raise I just wanted to bring this issue up and see what people thought.

Green

I agree with you 100%. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. We need to get something out of this also. West does have a few weak willed pilots though, so for the long haul it is good for us to have the east guys aboard with for the future.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back