• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ty aa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yet another reason for their financial woes!! Look at all the training costs associated with this flow-thru!

For every Capt AA takes from Eagle, it triggers two training events at Eagle, not to mention all the movement at AA, furloughs returning, pilots switching airframes, upgrades etc, Over the course of a year, that's a lot of money, which AMR does not have!!!

I think we all want AA to survive and be profitable, but "come on man"

Yes but once Eagle is spun off and then fully sold, that is no longer american's problem. Also, the bean counters wont see this because they will see New Eagle captain making low pay as opposed to senior eagle captain driving the company down with his high pay.

This is one of the many reasons this airline career is trash. No one wants to make where they are better. You actually buy the 'senior captains are too expensive' drivel management spews?

All I hear is: "I'm going to Delta/American/Fedex/etc." Funny thing is, five years later, there you are, in the same seat.

Yet another reason for their financial woes!! Look at all the training costs associated with this flow-thru!

For every Capt AA takes from Eagle, it triggers two training events at Eagle, not to mention all the movement at AA, furloughs returning, pilots switching airframes, upgrades etc, Over the course of a year, that's a lot of money, which AMR does not have!!!

How is that AMR's problem if Eagle is dissolved or spun off? As far as AMR spending money on training costs, many pilots will be retiring soon. Therefore, they are going to have to upgrade, train furloughs/new-hires, and re-train for different equipment anyways.

So when an Eagle guy gets hired at an airline other than AA does it trigger less than two training events at Eagle? I don't think so. I think AA is being proactive and smart with the information they have on retirement vs. guys currently in the training pipeline. If the Eagle guys who are going to leave don't go to AA, they WILL go somewhere else. That will deprive AA of needed pilots and still create the same number of training events.

Last edited:
So if American sells Eagle, will the flow continue? I mean I was not told that Mesaba's flow had no legal binding statements to hold Delta to keeping the flow (Compass's did). I used to have a flow spot, now I do not. Can the same thing happen to Eagle?

So if American sells Eagle, will the flow continue? I mean I was not told that Mesaba's flow had no legal binding statements to hold Delta to keeping the flow (Compass's did). I used to have a flow spot, now I do not. Can the same thing happen to Eagle?

No it is in binding on any and all successors of Eagle and AA.

AA hires Eagle capt to 737= 1 training event

Eagle F/O upgraded to replace said capt= 1 training event

Eagle hires new F/O off street to replace F/O= 1 training event

Don't know what the training costs are, but AMR just spent a lot of money with all that training, plus lost productivity with these guys off the line!

AMR hires someone off the street at AA, only one training event.

Eagle hires someone off the street, one training event.

You multiply that by how many hundreds of training events, it will add up eventually!

Alaska Air group has started something different with Horizon Air, they are hiring F/O's from Horizon straight to Alaska, bypassing a lot of experienced and qualified Capt's at QX. The rationale is to cut the training costs and down time during training.

Not sure if it will work, but a bean counter on the second floor has run the numbers and can see a cost savings, and as you know, it's all about the Benjamins these days!!!

AA hires Eagle capt to 737= 1 training event

Eagle F/O upgraded to replace said capt= 1 training event

Eagle hires new F/O off street to replace F/O= 1 training event

Don't know what the training costs are, but AMR just spent a lot of money with all that training, plus lost productivity with these guys off the line!

AMR hires someone off the street at AA, only one training event.

Eagle hires someone off the street, one training event.
You forgot to add the training event for the FO upgrading to captain to replace one who left. Still 3 training cycles any way you cut it.

You multiply that by how many hundreds of training events, it will add up eventually!

Latest resources

Back