• Start date
  • Watchers 23

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The whole point of the game is that if you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to work for CAL....you will. Get off your a**. Go out there meet people, talk to people do whatever you can to meet CAL pilots or other CAL employees and you will get an interview. I've started with absolutely nothing and it took me 2 years just to get into the short stack and I still haven't received a call yet and I might never.....who knows. But I never gave up and never will.

Last edited:
Proceeds from the sale of the certificates will initially be held in escrow by a depositary institution. The escrowed funds will be used to acquire equipment notes that will be issued by CO to finance its purchase of 30 new Boeing 737-900ER and 737-800 aircraft scheduled for delivery from January 2008 to March 2009.

Have also heard that they will be not suspend new hire training this summer as they have previously. Trying to keep up with retirements and expansion.

The whole point of the game is that if you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to work for CAL....you will. Get off your a**. Go out there meet people, talk to people do whatever you can to meet CAL pilots or other CAL employees and you will get an interview. I've started with absolutely nothing and it took me 2 years just to get into the short stack and I still haven't received a call yet and I might never.....who knows. But I never gave up and never will.

*DING DING DING*

I was the most junior in my class at 30. Top guy was pushing 50. Had several UAL furloughs and ATA pilots in class, with several XJT CAs and checkairman as well. There wasn't a single person that didn't have captain time at their previous airline or military gig. I had about 5k with nearly 3k jetpic and was middle to lower end of the pack for flight time experience. Didn't know a soul at CAL and wasn't an intern. Hell, I'm even WHITE.. how, oh how did I sneak through? Got lucky, I guess.

luckytohaveajob, you're doing an excellent job at trolling the waters here and have collected a lot of fish in your net, but to say that vast majority of pilots getting hired here are daddy's kids or otherwise not qualified is simply not true. There are a few people that came with minimal flight experience (minimal being 2000hrs or so of time), but those are few and far between.

Goggles, you've asked the million dollar question. Getting hired tomorrow, one would not have the same "quick upgrade" that's supposed to happen over the next couple years. It will still be fairly quick, assuming retirements (age 65) and 5-7% growth with orders, but it won't be as fast as the first 1000 or so hired since early '05. Retirements are around 200/yr through 2016 and tapers to 150/yr to 2024. Those are rough numbers, though, and do not account for age 65, early outs, retirements, deaths, jail, terminations, etc.. Gives you an idea, though.

I was hired in late 05 and can, in theory, hold EWR 737 CA in Nov-Dec of 08.

Last edited:
As for upgrades the company has considered keeping the 15 737's set for retirement. This will be determined with fuel prices, winlet mods etc, and also a way for the company to negotiate lower leases if we consider returning the aircraft. So instead of a net gain of 15 it could be 30. Next years orders are quite hefty. Also the winglets we are putting on the 733's can be removed quickly if we choose to return the aircraft.

Stay tuned... things are on the move!

Good news for the upgrades..............

Continental Airlines Announces Sale of Pass Through Certificates to Finance Acquisition of 30 New Boeing Aircraft
HOUSTON, April 10, 2007 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- Continental Airlines, Inc. (NYSE: CAL) today announced the sale of $1,146,810,000 of Continental Airlines Pass Through Certificates, Series 2007-1. The Certificates were issued in three different series, comprised of $756,762,000 of Class A Certificates with a coupon of 5.983% per annum, $221,850,000 of Class B Certificates with a coupon of 6.903% per annum and $168,198,000 of Class C Certificates with a coupon of 7.339% per annum. Proceeds from the sale of the Certificates will initially be held in escrow by a depositary institution. The escrowed funds will be used to acquire equipment notes that will be issued by Continental to finance its purchase of 30 new Boeing 737-900ER and 737-800 aircraft scheduled for delivery from January 2008 to March 2009.
The Certificates were offered and sold pursuant to the Prospectus Supplement, dated March 27, 2007, to the Prospectus, dated April 10, 2006, of Continental. A copy of the Prospectus Supplement is available on Continental's web site at continental.com under "About Continental", "Investor Relations", "SEC Filings" or by writing to DeAnne Gabel, Director - Investor Relations, Continental Airlines, Inc., P.O. Box 4607, Houston, TX 77210-4607.
SOURCE Continental Airlines, Inc.

It is not hard to spot a 25 year old pimp face little kid in a CAL uniform--kiddy coat tail rider.

Next time I in IAH, CLE, or EWR I am going to go kiddy coat tail rider spotting. I bet I find a few.

And one day at band camp!

You sound like an idiot!

Also the winglets we are putting on the 733's can be removed quickly if we choose to return the aircraft.

I believe we are putting those winglets on the classics not only to improve fuel performance but also to increase the residual value on the aircraft in the event we give them back to the lessor. In other words, if we give them back, we aren't taking the winglets off.

-Neal

Interesting how this thread as well as others get off track so quickly. Just ignore these guys and stay on the topic. They will eventually get the message and move on. No sense wasting time and getting bent out of shape with their comments. Serves no purpose but to bring out the adolescent, juvenile behavior of elementary school days.

Latest resources

Back