• Start date
  • Watchers 23

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Point is CAL is hiring unqualified pilots regularly as favors to those already at the company. The market is full of 5000+ hour pilots with 1000+ Turbine PIC. CAL is hiring 1500 hour flight instructors just like UAL did six years ago.

CAL hires major airline pilots just like Gulfstream hires commuter pilots except CAL doesn't charge $30k like Gulfstream but the quality of hiring is the same.

Congrats...you get the idiot post of the day.

Quote your source, regarding the hiring of 1500hr flight instructors. You cant b/c it's not true. Stop being so bitter about not getting a call, dont worry it'll eventually come.

IDIOT

I'm standing by for the standard, "I didnt apply, or get turned down" comment

Last edited:
I know people at XJT who know people at CAL. I have heard of CAL FO's who are 25 years old, pimp face, little kids.

If a 25 year old started flying at age 16 with high school and college they could hardly have more than 1500 hours. But they are getting hired at CAL because of their daddy's

Last edited:
I know people at XJT who know people at CAL. I have heard of CAL FO's who are 25 years old, pimp face, little kids.

If a 25 year old started flying at age 16 with high school and college they could hardly have more than 1500 hours.

Try again. your "i know people who know people" just shows how uninformed you are.

A "kiddy coat tail rider". That's a new one.

Hmm, let's see, I have no relative currently or in the past working for CAL and I wasn't an intern. I'll wage that I have more flying experience than you and I'll guess that the reason you were rejected from CAL had to do with your attitude.

As for furloughed pilots from other airlines not getting hired. My new hire class of 12 had two ATA pilots and 3 Independence pilots.

But I forgot, you have that great internal source of information.

It is not hard to spot a 25 year old pimp face little kid in a CAL uniform--kiddy coat tail rider.

Next time I in IAH, CLE, or EWR I am going to go kiddy coat tail rider spotting. I bet I find a few.

Last edited:

If a 25 year old started flying at age 16 with high school and college they could hardly have more than 1500 hours. But they are getting hired at CAL because of their daddy's.

If you don't like nepotism thats one thing, but why the chip on your shoulder regarding young pilots?

I know a 23 year old that just got hired at NetJets. They require an ATP and 2500 hours total time. He would have applied at 22 (met all the flight time requirements) but had to wait until his 23rd birthday to take his ATP ride.

Its amazing what you can do if you start flying early and instruct and fly charter for 3/4 years while in college...

By the summer bid those spring 2005 pilots should have their 1500 hours and be able to get their ATP with the upgrade.

Do I smell some jealousy on this thread by several pilots? Look I have been at CAL for twenty years (in three days), flown several different of the aircraft we have or had here (up to the 747), have 5000 hours PIC 737 and over 15,000 hours total time and I wouldn't get hired at CAL today because I never finished my four year degree. Thats the way it is in today's market and I don't take it personally.

Yes we have hired some low time pilots, so does just about every major (I mean Legacy) during every hiring period in the last thirty years. That doesn't mean the majority of those we have hired aren't very qualified pilots. I know I have flown with many of them.

At my former regional (called commuters back in the old days) Pilgrim Airlines I witnessed most of our pilots get hired by majors (we had 80% turn over in one year in 1985). We had pilots get hired by just about every airline AA (the first B scalers the ones who on paper were to never make more than 50% of A scalers), DAL, UAL (the infamous 570) NW, Republic, US AIR, Piedmont, Eastern, TWA ETC. You could see the personality "type" of pilots each airline hired, it was actually kind of funny. American hired for the most part those that fit through the cookie cutter profile, Eastern and TWA seemed to hire our best and most liked pilots, United was mixed etc etc.

Fact is this is the way it has always been and probably always will be. However at least Continental takes referrals from their pilots very seriously and thus we the Continental pilots do have a significant say in who gets hired. Not perfect but the process seems to work well. From my stand point the vast majority of the pilots hired at CAL over the last two years are outstanding. Are there some exceptions to the rule, you betcha but hey no process is perfect!

"Next time I in IAH, CLE, or EWR I am going to go kiddy coat tail rider spotting. I bet I find a few."

are you Asian?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back