• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Two year degree's, will you get a job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You can get hired at a decent national airline with only a two year degree, I'm living proof. However, I believe that the fact I was retired military was enough of a plus to outweigh the downside of not having a four year degree. It has also been my experience that I am the rare exception at my airline. I only remember 1 other pilot I've met here besides me that had less than a four year degree. I'm sure that in a pilot group as large as 1500 that there must be others, I just haven't met them.

In the group of CFI's that I worked with all but one of us were offered jobs from the first airline we interviewed with. Almost all of us had more than one offer. We all pretty much trained and were taught to fly the same way. Nobody had any skeletons in their closets. The one guy that had trouble getting a job had to interview at three places before he was offered a job. The only difference between him and the others was a degree. In fact he had little or no college but his logbook was just as solid as everybody else's. He did finally get a 121 job flying a 1900 for a smaller company.

The irony is that almost all of all the guys that took jobs with larger national airlines are now furloughed, the guy that initially struggled to get work is still flying today. You just never know what the aviation gods have in store for you.

Oh, I almost forgot....GET THE DEGREE!

BTW, JH if you are reading this forgive me for using you as an example. Remember, as the last man standing you get the last laugh! DK says hello.

Last edited:
Me and my 2 year degree got called for an interview just last week, but of course this was not American, it was only Great Lakes. Nonetheless it is possible to get picked up by a regional with less than a four year.

Latest resources

Back