Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JeremyAV8R

Airline Bound
Okay, I'm currently a student at UVSC, in the Pro Pilot Program. I should be a CFI in a matter of months. If I were to get my Associates degree, then slow down on my studies focusing on my CFI obligations, and being a good teacher. Would it be possible for me to land a Regional job with an associates degree, and a sufficant amount of flight time?

My basic plan is to get this CFI rating, finish up this Ass. degree, then once I have enough time, try to get a job with a regional." Like everyone else" And keep working on my Ba online, while working for a regional. Does this sound reasonable? Has anyone actually done this?

Thanks,
Jeremy:cool:

I can't get anybody, regional or 135 to call me back with 2000TT/300Multi and a real (non-internet) 4 yr degree in Computer info systems. I think in today's pilot market it dosen't matter if you have a PHD from Yale. You are only going to get a flying job if you know somebody who knows somebody, and unfortunately I don't know anybody.

P.S. If anyone out there who works for, Skywest, ACA, ASA, Comair, Mesa, PSA, Chautauqua, TSA, Pinnacle, Horizon, Colgan, Air Wisconsin, Alleghney, or any other airline that's hiring talented and exceptionaly hard working pilots, such as myself, please PM me so I can be your friend. I'll even buy lunch and pay the green fee's.

I know 4 guys that recently went to Skywest, all are going to be refrences for me. I hope that will help me out when the time comes. I will probably know more, by the time I'm ready.:D Training in Utah, helps if you want to work for skywest. A lot of the instructors are going there.

I would DEFINATELY get the 4yr. And get it in something other than aviation! It never hurts to have a back up degree in something else.

I had no idea I would be going to class this time last year at SkyWest after 9/11. I was gearing up to use my Industrial Tech degree when they called. I don't know how many trips that saved me to Kinko's, but man am I lucky!!

I know folks with 4yr degrees, 2 yr degrees, and NO degree that all flying. One good friend with no degree is flying for Southwest. The other for a regional. So I don't think it really matters. Some airlines won't accept you without a 4 yr degree but there are many other out there that will.

MYFpilot said:
I can't get anybody, regional or 135 to call me back with 2000TT/300Multi and a real (non-internet) 4 yr degree in Computer info systems. I think in today's pilot market it dosen't matter if you have a PHD from Yale.

MYFpilot, just curious as to what the difference is between an internet degree and a "REAL" degree? Does that mean that a degree from an accredited distance learning curriculum does not hold the same significance as a degree from say Kent State?

Get real,
With thousands of qualified pilots out there looking for work, the airlines can be very choosy and the first bunch of applicants they will eliminate from their stack of resumes will be those without a four-year degree. It was very difficult even before 9/11 to land a flying job without a four-year degree (at least at almost every major) and it is even more the case today.
I would highly advise those out there without degrees to get the four-year degree. On top of that, I would suggest you get a degree in something that is worthwhile so that you can fall back on it in case the flying dream does not work out.
I am very glad I received a four-year degree in Accounting as I am now an Accountant after being furloughed from AA in March. Since I am looking at a five year furlough, I am darn glad that I have a degree and skill that allows me to do something other than fly. Just some food for thought for the younger guys out there debating on whether to stay in college for four years.
Hoss

Last edited:
Four-year degrees

There is a danger in dealing with absolutes. Normally, I would say, unequivocally, that you need a four-year degree to make it to the top in this business, whatever that may be to you. Then, I hear from people who tell me that they have far less and still made it to the top. Accordingly, I won't make such a declarative statement.

But, take a look at hiring figures in such magazines as Career Pilot, Kit Darby's old rag (I realize that Kit hasn't published it for years - I'm sure he publishes a similar mag as Air, Inc.). Every month there was a column called "Congratulations, FAPA Pilots." Invariably, the majority of those hired at the majors had four-year degrees or more. What I'm using here is inductive reasoning. I see that most pilots whom the majors hire have four-year degrees. Therefore, I, personally, must conclude that the majors regard these applicants as the most desirable.

Moreover, quite a few people post questions about the best way to complete a four-year degree. Therefore, others must find it apparent that you need the degree to attain your career goals.

Another point to consider is a pilot can exert some control over the quals he/she offers. Meaning, in this case, getting the ATP on your own, taking the FEX written, and offering the best education credentials possible. So, if you know that the majors and others hire primarily with four-year degrees and it is within your power to earn one, it would behoove you to get it. (PS - from an accredited college!)

A final point. I have a B.S.B.A. I earned it in the normal course of schooling, just like most of my peers at that time. It was several years later that I considered an aviation career. My first full-time employer, ERAU, required flight instructors to have a four-year degree. So, my degree helped me get my first aviation job.

Just my .02. Nice to see another pilot besides me with a degree in Accounting.

Last edited:
MS

What about a Masters Degree? I'm working on mine now. Does that earn you any bonus points at Air Wisc or Skywest?

Alternate idea

With the airlines (particularly the majors) in an absolute slump, what about starting ones own business? In the same way that two or more people get together and form partnerships or member owned flying clubs, so could a few intrepid folks start their own business. Pros & cons ad nauseum, however, it is an alternative.

Latest resources

Back