Two year degree's, will you get a job?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You will

Most airlines don't care if your degree is from Yale, UNC, or the smallest school down the street. All they care about is that you have one. Getting a job in avaition is about who you know. All the degree does is check off another point for qualification.

Sometimes you still need to meet all of the requirements to land the job. They can't bend the rules all the time. Let's face it, the degree requirement was made my some HR executive who thought it would be a good idea. It doesn't mean you can't fly better that someone who does have one.

Some airlines do realize that and will hire you anyway. I personally got a job last month with no degree at all. My choices of airlines were limited. I would have loved to be on with one of the other airlines but they bump the requirements for non-degree people. I have 6 more credits for my A.S. and I plan to follow the same path. You will find a job in this business in just about any configuration, however, having your 4 year degree will open up more options.

I agree with everyone else. You should explore your degree in something you will enjoy doing when you are furloughed. The companys who chooses the Yale grad vs. the small school are few and far between. Every HR person I talked to says it's more of who you know but if the market is good and they can discriminate against qualifications, they will.

My grandfather put it best,
Education never hurt anyone.

Any post high school education will not hurt
you in any field. A degree in Underwater
Basket Weaving will really suffice. Regardless
of what you do. Finish your degree.
What many post's have left out, is the fact that you;
and only you will appreciate the satisfaction of
completing your degree.

It's a pat on your back that you have given to
yourself. And it's also, something that no one
can take away from you regardless of your career
path.

I have something that I have because of what my
farther did. It's called a "Love Me Wall."

You put your accomplishments up on the wall and
display them proudly. My 3 year old daughter also
has the same, she now share's my wall with me,
I'm more proud of her doing's than mine. And some
day you'll be able to experience that also. I even went
to Wal-Mart and bought 2 cheesie frames in which I can
insert her artistic ability on a weekly basis.

Do yourself a favor, get your degree and have fun
regardless of where your fortunes take you.

Jetsnake

What's your competition have for the few jobs out there?

Probably as much or more flying time.

Probably as much or more work experience.

Probably just as nice a guy and interviews just as well or better.

Has a four year degree.

. . . . . Now, how important do you think that degree is?

Fellas, thanks for the responses.

But, as I said in my original post. I plan to get my degree. I'm just wandering if I just have my associates, and am still working on the BA, am I going to have trouble finding reginal work? Or, if my flight time is to par, but I'm still working on the degree, am I game for a reginal job.

Again thanks for the replys,
Jeremy

Last edited:
Finish

Jeremy,

Use this time in the cycle of the airline industry to finish your degree. Don't worry about anything else right now. When the cycle swings up again you'll be ready. Remember, it looks like it will be years before that happens. BTW, I hope you're not considering a degree in English.

Just kidding.

JeremyAV8R said:
Fella's, thanks for the responses.

But, as I said in my original post. I plan to get my degree. I'm just wandering, if I just have my associates, and am still working on the BA, am I going to have trouble finding reginal work? Or, if my flight time is to par, but I'm still working on the degree, am I game for a reginal job.

Again thanks for the replys,
Jeremy

Re: Finish

Clownpilot said:
Jeremy,

Use this time in the cycle of the airline industry to finish your degree. Don't worry about anything else right now. When the cycle swings up again you'll be ready. Remember, it looks like it will be years before that happens. BTW, I hope you're not considering a degree in English.

Just kidding.

English in not my forte. :eek:
f-off.gif

Masters

larry said:
What about a Masters Degree? I'm working on mine now. Does that earn you any bonus points at Air Wisc or Skywest?
I once heard that anything beyond a Bachelor's was regarded as a negative. In fact, I recall reading some years ago about a lawyer who wanted to change careers and was told not to list his J.D. It was implied that anything beyond a B.S. or B.A. might imply that you might have an argumentative or know-it-all personality.

Frankly, I would ignore all of that. Finish your Masters. You'll be better off overall. Good luck with your thesis.

I'm sure you'll get a regional job with an associate (they dont give a rats a$$) however the majors are more picky. Internet or correspondence courses dont fly very well with them! I know there are a lot of people that fall into this catagory and dont like hearing this but its true (wife works in HR at a major). This is not to say it will never happen. There are going to be many people that "know someone" that got in without a normal degree, yet the chances are far more slim (especially in these times). I know you just want to start playing airline pilot right away, but the pay-off in the end will be much greater if you wait. There are MANY guys at my regional that wish they did!

"Internet or correspondence courses dont fly very well with them! I know there are a lot of people that fall into this catagory and dont like hearing this but its true (wife works in HR at a major). "

I've never seen an official college transcript differentiate between correspondence, distant learning or campus classes. So how would the interviewer know if you took a class via distant learning unless you told him? There are many well know universities that offer classes through distant learning. UNC, BYU, UCLA, Embry Riddle, Delta State, Ohio State and dozens if not hundreds more.

It goes without saying that it is important to check the schools accreditation. This notion that an airline or any company for that matter does not like distant learning courses is complete nonsense!

IMHO,

I believe a 4 year degree is very attractive to any airline hiring pilots right now. That being said, at the regional level, I still believe that the most important qualification is to have as much flying experience possible and having a "clean" background. A two year degree is definetly going to get you in the door if you have competetive experience in your logbook.

My advice is to keep flying and trying to get in the door. There will be pleanty of time to finish the four year degree once you are there because it will be many years before the Majors even consider hiring off the street again.

Good luck
tj

Latest resources

Back