Two Pilot Marriages

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
capt. megadeth said:
1. Noone said you don't need to be at home with them. That's why you bid opposite schedules.

Then what's the point if you are never together? "I got married so I can be apart from my spouse?" And what's the point of having kids, unless you drop your flying like Flyunited has stated...

capt. megadeth said:
2. SORRY.....what makes you right and others wrong when you say a parent absolutely must stay at home with the kids. I told you....my father wasn't around and my mother had to work to feed me. What is your answer to that? I got unconditional love and my mom worked.

Why have kids if you aren't going to be around? One of my parents wasn't around either, but that is not what we are talking about. We are talking about the conscience choice to have kids then not be around as often as one could... why? What is better than spending time with kids? And if one would rather do something else beside spending time with kids, then why have them?

capt. megadeth said:
3. Just because someone wants a career and kids does not mean they want to "sound cool" saying they are an airline pilot. That's stupid. What do you suggest the answer is when you have kids, quit your flying job and then the sole provider dies in a car accident? What do you do to provide then? Oh yeah, you are screwed!

Huh? Again the point. One spouse is working and making enough income to live comfortably. They have kids... The other spouse works. Income not needed. Why work when the choice was made to have kids?

capt. megadeth said:
4. Once again, I don't know why you say one wants to have kids and then "hit the road". You bid opposite schedules so one spouse is with the kids 24/7. I don't know what your beef with this is.

Because this isn't a family.. it is tag team parenting! What is the point?

capt. megadeth said:
5. Two pilots having kids does not tell them their careers are more important than them. That's bull. Kids do need love and nurture...however, dropping everything in the world and not teaching them that the world does not only revolve around them is not good either. That's why we have the instant gratification and it's all about me generation.

Nice spin. Doesn't work. Try explaining this to a 0-15 year old...

capt. megadeth said:
6. Bottom line is you have your opinion and we have ours. Mind your own business and I will mind mine.

I thought we were debating. Didn't realize I was intruding in your business. Don't offer your opinions and I won't get all up in your kitchen. :)

capt. megadeth said:
This is a little dramatic. Besides, you yourself are away from the family because you chose to fly. One can say you are selfish too. If you are home on your days off with the entire family, how is it different if 2 pilots bid opposite schedules? One is always home and there are overlapping days when they are both home?

Stay on target. This isn't about one spouse pilot flying trips. One income has to be made to pay the house note. Do you want to debate that all pilots shouldn't have kids. I don't.

I already mentioned tag team parenting... It is done by some...

capt. megadeth said:
Give me a break!

So my dad beat my mom when he was drunk. Should she have just stayed because she made a committment? You are so out of touch with reality it's not even funny. You cannot control what someone else does! Your wonderful "partner" can change! People change!

I do think people are marry too quickly these days but you want someone to stay in a miserable marriage "for the kids"? Kids are not stupid and will see through this. They will not be better off this way.

Quit spinning. We are not talking about abusive parents or husbands. Why is the divorce rate now 50%?

So much for mature decion making when choosing a spouse. Doesn't matter you can always get divocred later.

I don't think people should stay miserable, but they should do all they can to stay happy. Opting for a divocre is to common. Explain the divorce rate and the impact it has on kids...

FlyUnited said:
I also don't buy into Rez's theory that children should feel like the most important person in the world. I've met these people that believe that about themselves on the planes...it's not a pretty sight. Children, imho, should be taught that they are AN important part of their family and society, that they are not entitled to anything and must work hard to be productive citizens. They should know that they have the priviledge of being an American and should give back to this country for the rights they enjoy.

None of us are 'the most important person in the world' and none of us should teach our children that they are either.

If it isn't bored house wives addicted to pills its parents that treat their kids like royalty. :rolleyes:

My point... spending time away from kids when it is not needed rather wanted is concerning. It basically says my wants are greater than your needs.

But thats the debate... do kids really need thier parents....

rdy4to said:
So all I ask is for you to recognize that maybe some pilot couples know what they are doing with their kids. And maybe they are doing exactly what you want for the world's children just not doing it your way. It's just a suggestion. Think about it.

Anybody ask the kids what they would prefer?

rdy4to said:
Also, it seems to me that you don't have that good an opinion of pilots which makes me sad since that translates to the fact that you don't have that good an opinion of yourself in regards to your career. I knew I guy like you who was so disillusioned with this industry and unable to get out and start again that he didn't have much respect for other pilots. Now, I am playing mental health expert. ;) It's just seems this way to me.

There is noway you can try and mind map me based on moniker screen names on a message board. You should know better...

lifeguard said:
REZ..You are confusing me. Why are you a pilot?????

Because I have to pay the house note, feed my family and put clothes on them. That is why? Got a problem with that? :)

If I became a single parent I'd stop flying.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
My point... spending time away from kids when it is not needed rather wanted is concerning. It basically says my wants are greater than your needs.

REZ, Again I ask you why you are choosing to be a pilot? You are choosing to be away from your family. Why did you have kids knowing you have to be away from them?

lifeguard said:
Rez O. Lewshun said:

REZ, Again I ask you why you are choosing to be a pilot? You are choosing to be away from your family. Why did you have kids knowing you have to be away from them?

Again...that is not the arguement. Do you want to debate that no pilot should have kids cause they are gone on trips? What about other professions? Sales, train conductor, etc...

Rez,

All due respect. But that is exactly what it sounds like your posts are saying. You have stated, over and over, that kids want BOTH parents to be home. (Mr Obvious says "doh") So why don't you go apply over at the local WalMart and give the kid exactly what he wants? Or better, apply over at Publix as a stockboy at night. Then you will be free all day to play with the little guy.

Latest resources

Back