TWA settlement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's because PCL wanted it all.

The gameplan was to downplay the SW contract from day one. Why? Because they knew it would be there in the end. So focus only on seniority. Once seniority was decided, then the money would be there regardless.

Well that changes quickly when Gary guarantees you those pay rates and work rules immediately with other protections for a SL on the table. ALPA overplayed their hand and cost the AirTran pilots literally tens of millions of dollars.

...and the threats/ultimatums will ultimately cost SWA much more over the long term. It may not be a line item they will see on a financial statement, but it will be there just the same. I have a long time until I retire, but will never lift a finger for this place...well, maybe a certain finger.

If I am who you claim I am, don't you think I would know what ALPA Legal really thinks? So either I am who you think I am and ALPA Legal disagrees with you, or I'm not who you claim I am. Either way, you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

P.S. Union representatives can't be held personally liable. That's why DFR suits are filed against the union instead of against the reps.

Hold on a second - since the $55M payment to TWA pilots was described as a "nuisance" settlement (your words not mine), why wouldn't ALPA avoid the cost and risk of litigation and make a similar offer to the Air Tran pilots. While they may want more, I imagine that amount would take alot of the sting out of their current dispute.

It's unlikely that that lawsuit will even make it past summary judgment.

Flounder!

This guy reminds me of a character on National Lampoon's Animal House.

Group B4
First Officer Todd Ortscheid, AirTran
Ortscheid-headshot.jpg

First Officer Todd Ortscheid was reelected executive vice president, Group B4, of the Air Line Pilots Association, Int?l, on Oct. 17, 2012, at the Association?s biennial Board of Directors meeting. His latest term began on Jan. 1, 2013.
Currently based in Atlanta, First Officer Ortscheid flies the B-717 for AirTran, where he previously served as vice chairman for the AirTran Master Executive Council (MEC). First Officer Ortscheid was also a first officer representative and a member of the MEC Contract Compliance Committee, and led the drive to merge the AirTran pilots? independent union with ALPA.
Before his AirTran experience, First Officer Ortscheid flew for Pinnacle Airlines (now Endeavor Air). While at Pinnacle, he was a local council officer in Detroit. He also served as Strategic Preparedness Committee chairman and was an active member of both the Scheduling and Communications Committees.
As a member of ALPA, First Officer Ortscheid has participated in member organizing drives at Colgan and other carriers.
He resides in Senoia, Ga.

from ALPA's public website

It's unlikely that that lawsuit will even make it past summary judgment.

But isnt that exactly why ALPA would want to offer a nuisance settlement? They can avoid the whole thing altogether. . . Just throw the same pocket change that they paid to TWA (another case that was not supposed to make it past summary judgment) - with the added benefit of not having to spend money for attorneys etc. Besides, it is just insurance money, it is not like dues are affected or that they needed an assessment or something. This way they just avoid the whole thing - win win right?

But isnt that exactly why ALPA would want to offer a nuisance settlement?

A nuisance settlement in a case that hasn't even gotten to the summary judgment phase is a few thousand dollars, not millions. When you're confident that a case is going nowhere, there isn't any reason to throw money at it. Remember, ALPA has plenty of in-house attorneys, so legal expenses aren't high for ALPA at the early stages of a case.

Really, all ALPA did with this "nuisance settlement" was encourage the Airtran pilots to push their suit and get their own "nuisance settlement". So Todd, your argument really doesn't hold water.

Latest resources

Back