• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Turbine time for major airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why do airlines require PIC turbine time?

Simple.

They need to ensure that pilots pass through the regionals before they are hired at a major. How else can they keep pilot costs down unless they can guarantee a healthy stream of applicants to the regionals? More applicants equals lower pay which equals downward pressure on mainline pay scales.

That is it, plain and simple.

Which is harder to fly? A Beech-18 or a King Air? Which requires the pilot to make more tough go/no-go decisions due to weather and ice? But that isn't the question. The question is who played the game we have set up and flew for peanuts at a regional.

not required if a female or whoever is looking for a shortcut.

Sorry, but I'm glad the FI bitchers arent running the show- I actually worked my arse off for that 'piece of paper' and got an education while getting my education- I'm glad most airlines actually looked at transcripts and not just the degree- We are the ambassadors for our airline, and requiring a basic level of education beyond the HS level is a confidence booster for passengers- most pilots I know w/o degrees are rough around the edges and, while intelligent, are less polished. Can ignorants graduate college? Of course, but the question becomes why would someone not get a college education? And why on earth would any airline hire as a pilot anyone who values education so little that they can't put in that basic commitment and effort-

That's for Yip-
As for the OP- turbine PIC- "they can" is valid but simplistic- there is a learning curve that only comes with experience- two things you can't replace: talent and experience- and I've had enough FOs who were captains before to know the value of having that experience in your right seat- especially as the airplanes get bigger and the responsibility grows-

There is something to say about the learning process- student becomes the instructor, becomes the learner again in the right seat, becomes the captain in the smaller a/c, becomes the FO in the bigger/faster plane- becomes the captain-

The worst captains are usually the one's who weren't FOs enough times for long enough to remember what it was like- there is a lot of learning that takes place when you go from Capt, back to FO-

We shouldn't minimize it - these are not just "HR" requirements-

Sorry, but I'm glad the FI bitchers arent running the show- I actually worked my arse off for that 'piece of paper' and got an education while getting my education- I'm glad most airlines actually looked at transcripts and not just the degree- We are the ambassadors for our airline, and requiring a basic level of education beyond the HS level is a confidence booster for passengers- most pilots I know w/o degrees are rough around the edges and, while intelligent, are less polished. Can ignorants graduate college? Of course, but the question becomes why would someone not get a college education? And why on earth would any airline hire as a pilot anyone who values education so little that they can't put in that basic commitment and effort-

That's for Yip-
As for the OP- turbine PIC- "they can" is valid but simplistic- there is a learning curve that only comes with experience- two things you can't replace: talent and experience- and I've had enough FOs who were captains before to know the value of having that experience in your right seat- especially as the airplanes get bigger and the responsibility grows-

There is something to say about the learning process- student becomes the instructor, becomes the learner again in the right seat, becomes the captain in the smaller a/c, becomes the FO in the bigger/faster plane- becomes the captain-

The worst captains are usually the one's who weren't FOs enough times for long enough to remember what it was like- there is a lot of learning that takes place when you go from Capt, back to FO-

We shouldn't minimize it - these are not just "HR" requirements-

and here lies the problem....you worked your arse off for the piece of paper....I on the other hand did not do crap, kinda did what was asked of me, kinda showed up when I felt like it, and frankly kinda cared less about what I was doing because I knew in the end all I needed was the PIECE OF PAPER, to be able to show some idiot who worked his/her arse off and somehow thought it really really meant something...what a joke! I have my degree as do you...I on the other hand could not even begin to tell you where my diploma is, I have never ever seen my transcripts and have never been asked to show either, working in and out of this industry......course Im older now and actually have real life behind me to back up what I say and do. Never did work in the field my degree was in....huh how is it Ive been relatively successful? Luck...yep must be Luck

if you get a degree for doctor or lawyer you better work hard, but lets face it a Business degree, or marketing, or teaching...or etc etc, is really worthless as to what it teaches you....i would rather talk with someone who owns a good business or runs his own marketing company. I would rather someone teach me who has lets say 30 years flying all sorts of aircraft (yip) rather than some UND or Riddle Diddle with his/her fresh degree who knows lots about theory.....LOL!

Thats the problem today, you have all been sold a bill of goods about how important a degree is you forgot to actually go out and learn how to really really do it.....back in the day we called it the school of hard knocks.....today you say i worked my arse off and they have to look at how important my degree in flora and fauna with a minor in business is.....I went to a very expensive school that my parents are still paying for and Im really good, you have to ask for my Degree and all my grades and reports and stuff......(cause I got nothing else to show you.....)

Very good post, I agree, in my 30 plus years in this paid hobby I have used my education in everything but flying, this here is a technical job. I can't think of any other profession (well, other than politician) where it doesn't really matter what your degree is on.

I can't think of any other profession (well, other than politician) where it doesn't really matter what your degree is on.
If you can develop high quality software, and can prove that, you can find a good job quickly in any of a thousand small to medium software companies no matter what degree you have.

Not only that, it doesn't matter if you show up for the interview in rags and don't smell particularly good. If you're good and can show that. Right now this is especially true for developers who have deployed iPhone and iPad apps.

The main prejudice in this world is that we don't trust anyone over 35.

Large companies that have big HR departments that will screen out oddballs who didn't come out of a cookie cutter, but then they won't have the best developers and will have to subcontract a lot of software development to the smaller companies that have the talent.

My friend is in the computer/IT business. He told me that his knack for doing this kind of work open the door for new and better opportunities. He spent part of his high school years at a vocational-technical high school and that's where he got his start and found his professional calling. After high school, he only got training in A+ Certification and that was it as far as "school". The rest of it was OJT.

4, and the same goes for United and I'd bet American when they spool up.
Incorrect...Untied did not require a degree last time they hired. Delta does, Fedex does....thats about it.

Latest resources

Back