• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Turbine time for major airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think the requirement for turbine time, and especially PIC is obvious as it shows that an applicant has a record of success in training and on the line. Requiring a college degree however is artificial and silly. Ambassadors? I'm sorry to disagree with Wave, but it is with due respect. Yes whenever we're in uniform we represent the company, but the job is to show up on time and move the airplane safely from a to b.

Sorry, but I'm glad the FI bitchers arent running the show- I actually worked my arse off for that 'piece of paper' and got an education while getting my education- I'm glad most airlines actually looked at transcripts and not just the degree- We are the ambassadors for our airline, and requiring a basic level of education beyond the HS level is a confidence booster for passengers- most pilots I know w/o degrees are rough around the edges and, while intelligent, are less polished. Can ignorants graduate college? Of course, but the question becomes why would someone not get a college education? And why on earth would any airline hire as a pilot anyone who values education so little that they can't put in that basic commitment and effort-

That's for Yip-
As for the OP- turbine PIC- "they can" is valid but simplistic- there is a learning curve that only comes with experience- two things you can't replace: talent and experience- and I've had enough FOs who were captains before to know the value of having that experience in your right seat- especially as the airplanes get bigger and the responsibility grows-

There is something to say about the learning process- student becomes the instructor, becomes the learner again in the right seat, becomes the captain in the smaller a/c, becomes the FO in the bigger/faster plane- becomes the captain-

The worst captains are usually the one's who weren't FOs enough times for long enough to remember what it was like- there is a lot of learning that takes place when you go from Capt, back to FO-

We shouldn't minimize it - these are not just "HR" requirements-

Good post
+1

Latest resources

Back