• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TSA wants to scan bizjet pax

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Our freedoms are slipping away. Now you have to get approval from the government to travel in your own vehicle. Didn't his happen in Nazi Germany?

When your "own vehicle" can be used as weapon agaisnt the population there are steps that have to be taken. Let's face it, when we go into Timbuktu, Utah and fly them into the tri state area there are not any sercurity measures that will stop individuals from not only bring dangerous items on aircraft but also disabling the crew in flight. The company I fly for only checks the id for the lead passenger. Who the hell knows who the other people that are getting on the aircraft? As far as your "own vehicle" is concerned there are people that own 737s, do you think those passengers should go through background checks? As far as TSA is concerned, do I agree with all of their procedures? Absolutely not, are they annoying? Damn right, but they are necessary. Sure

When your "own vehicle" can be used as weapon agaisnt the population there are steps that have to be taken. Let's face it, when we go into Timbuktu, Utah and fly them into the tri state area there are not any sercurity measures that will stop individuals from not only bring dangerous items on aircraft but also disabling the crew in flight. The company I fly for only checks the id for the lead passenger. Who the hell knows who the other people that are getting on the aircraft? As far as your "own vehicle" is concerned there are people that own 737s, do you think those passengers should go through background checks? As far as TSA is concerned, do I agree with all of their procedures? Absolutely not, are they annoying? Damn right, but they are necessary. Sure

Just curious, how much explosives do you think you can fit into a moving van?

Enough to blow up the Federal building in OKC...

Just curious, how much explosives do you think you can fit into a moving van?

Mr. Eye,

This is the moment you reply with "point well taken, I will no longer give my freedom to terrorists."

Originally Posted by windycty
As a frac pilot I totally support the screening of the passengers. Anything that increases my safety on the job is a good thing in my eyes.

Spoken like a true Subject.........

Spoken like a true parrot. Fracs are 135 or 91k, not part 91, period. That means they hold out to the public. Any Timothy McVeigh, Ricky Bobby or Habib can get a (insert program name here) Jet Card. Then, any of their associates can ride the airplane. Sorry, your beating of the liberty or freedom drum implication holds no water. For part 91, I'm with you.....even if it is a 747SP operated pt 91. However, checking the ID's of pax in the fracs is just as necessary as checking ID's of airline passengers.

Last edited:
I have a whole heck of a lot more faith in our company's security personnel than I do the TSA. I'd feel a lot better about this if they would just outline the security requirements and allow the companies to self-govern than I would about any TSA interference in Part 91 bizjet operators.

But hey, that's just me not wanting anyone climbing my pitot tubes today.

I have a whole heck of a lot more faith in our company's security personnel than I do the TSA. I'd feel a lot better about this if they would just outline the security requirements and allow the companies to self-govern than I would about any TSA interference in Part 91 bizjet operators.

But hey, that's just me not wanting anyone climbing my pitot tubes today.

The only problem is not all companies are good at self-governing. Unfortunatly there needs to be a certain measure of government oversight of security.

I don't want agents climbing all over my pitot tubes either.....there has to be a happy median somewhere.

Do as I say, not as I do

Report slams TSA failure to track security passesBy Alan Levin, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — The agency overseeing security at the nation's airports failed for years to track security passes and uniforms of former employees, creating widespread vulnerability to terrorists, says a government watchdog report obtained by USA TODAY.
The Transportation Security Administration lacked centralized controls over the secure passes issued to some of its employees, according to Department of Homeland Security Inspector General Richard Skinner. The passes grant people access to the most sensitive areas of an airport, such as where baggage is screened or planes are parked.
Investigators found numerous cases in which former employees retained their passes long after they had left the agency.
The investigation also found that TSA uniforms were frequently not collected when employees left or were transferred.
People using improper badges, IDs or uniforms — particularly in combination — "could significantly increase an airport's vulnerability to unauthorized access and, potentially, a wide variety of terrorist and criminal acts," the report said.
House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., said the findings confirm his fears that there is inadequate oversight of who gets into airports. "The risk of unauthorized access to the secure areas of our airports is unacceptable," Thompson said in a statement.
Thompson supported legislation that increased scrutiny of airport workers after employees were caught smuggling weapons and drugs into secure areas.
TSA chief Kip Hawley says the agency agrees with most of the inspector general's findings and began following the recommendations from investigators before the report was completed. The agency is tightening oversight of security passes, requiring collection of passes from officers who leave the agency and improving tracking of employee uniforms.
"While we believe the … report overstates deficiencies as well as any potential associated security risk, we share the interest in improving our processes," Hawley wrote in response to the report.
spacer.gif

Find this article at:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2008-10-12-TSA_N.htm

Pilots get background checks? What in the heck is the Twelve Five program for 135 ops for? Did tsa forget about that program?

Latest resources

Back