• Start date
  • Watchers 22

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is no way in hell you will ever convince me that TSA is not the biggest waste of money since the "Star Wars" program. The system worked fine before 9/11.

mamba20 said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is no way in hell you will ever convince me that TSA is not the biggest waste of money since the "Star Wars" program. The system worked fine before 9/11.

Until they start heavily profiling that is very true. When they succeed at it again, I imagine we will start profiling. The day will come when it will be legal to tasar liberals anywhere, anytime, for any reason. Does that sound delicious or what?

Like I've been saying since TSA's inception:

There is no difference between a local moron, a state moron, or a federal(gov't) moron.

Well actually there is-ask the taxpayers!

After making the penguins go through the metal detectors at DIA, I'll believe anything in regards to TSA!

mamba20 said:

Meaning that it worked on every day leading up to 9/11, but failed miserably on that day, or are you saying that you think it was working on that day? I'm sure you would like to reconsider that statement.

Last edited:
Oh his behalf, I'll elaborate:

The screeners were good enough before 9/11. The problem was the procedures mandated by the FAA -- they were inadequate. The problem was NOT the lack of a federal screening force. If that isn't blatantly obvious to anyone in this industry, I don't know what to tell you. As TSA has proven, we can get the same thugs with criminal records working checkpoints for the federal government, too. The only difference is the cost, which is burdening us with unimaginable debt, all in the name of putting on a dog-and-pony show for the masses.

J32's absolutely right. Metal detectors for penguins? Good lord.

Gummo said:
Meaning it that it worked on every day leading up to 9/11, but failed miserably on that day, or are you saying that you think it was working on that day? I'm sure you would like to reconsider that statement.

Actually the box cutters that were taken though security were legal.

I am in control of a 197,000 lb aircraft with 58,000 lbs of fuel and I have a crash axe in the cockpit....but I cant carry my leatherman anymore.

My comment wasn't meant as a defense of TSA, but it is preposterous to write that the system worked fine before 9/11. Maybe I'm arguing semantics, but the post said that the "system" worked, which it obviously didn't. The screeners are just part of the system.

As for the performance of the privatized screening before 9/11, it is ludicrous to say that it worked fine. Yes, their shortcomings played no part in the events of 9/11, but their performance in general was terrible. Lax screening had been cited as a weak area in a number of studies including the 1996 Gore commission on aviation security, and was an obvious place to throw resources as part of the knee jerk response to 9/11. Maybe the old rent-a-cop screeners weren't as in your face annoying as now, but they were NOT doing a good job of it. I'm not saying that we are getting our money's worth out of TSA or that the privatizing again wouldn't be a more economic approach. But, the failings of the past are not excused by the failings of the present

The TSA people piss me off to no end, but unmotivated, rude, and poorly trained and supervised screeners carrying out inefficient and ineffective policies are just a small part of the problem. There are too many holes in the fence, literally and figuratively, and passenger screening is just one of them. Actually, when you sit back and think about their situation, you've got to feel a little sorry for the screeners. They may not be hiring Einstein's disciples at TSA, but a lot of those folks are smart enough to see that they are trying to plug the dike with their fingers. How motivated would you be to dig through someone's dirty laundry for 8 hours a day, when you know that Joe the Ragman is passing sandwiches and whatever else into the secure area with no screening?

Haven't you seen Duck Tales? Ma Beegle once sneaked a saw blade inside a sandwich to her boys in the can. They sawed their way out of it. Your pax could have sawed a hole in the plane and everyone would have been sucked out!!! Good thing the TSA saved your life .. way to be grateful! ;)

mnalpha said:
Here is a quick story of how stupid the TSA can be. Was on a trip the other day and we were stuck in IPT for a philly ground hold. We had about an hour so we unloaded the pax. A couple of them and I went up to the little restaurant up stairs and ordered some sands to go. Then we got the word philly was going to let us in, so the pax ran back to the aircraft (through security) and the restaurant manager said he would bring his sandwich out to him. So the manager handed the sandwich to some operations guy who ran it out to the plane. The TSA Nazi inside saw this and freaked out. We had both engines started when we found out there was a problem the TSA wanted to x-ray the sandwich. Captain was not happy about this, the TSA then asked if the sandwich was in the possession of the passenger or the FA (indicating that if the FA had control of the sandwich we could proceed) we let her know that the passenger was about half done eating the sandwich. So once the TSA lady heard that, we had to shut down and send the half eaten sandwich and passenger back in to get re-screened. This was one of the worst displays of lack of common sense and blatant abuse of authority I have even seen. We submitted complaints to the TSA, im sure she will get a medal though.

Vik said:
Haven't you seen Duck Tales? Ma Beegle once sneaked a saw blade inside a sandwich to her boys in the can. They sawed their way out of it.
...and the prize for most obscure reference of the day goes to...

Latest resources

Back