Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

captain dad

TSA Conducts ‘Inappropriate’ Screening at BNA FBOs
Transportation Security Administration officials conducted unauthorized screening of passengers and flight crew at FBOs at Nashville International Airport in December and January, according to NBAA. The screening included checking “a number of pilots and passengers with wands and actual baggage searches,” NBAA vice president of safety, security and regulation Doug Carr noted in an e-mail to members. Signature Flight Support confirmed the accuracy of Carr’s description of events at Nashville. A TSA spokesman told AIN that inspectors “did badge verification of employees and pilots but not any hand-wanding of passengers.” The bag searches, he said, were to make “sure that nothing that poses a threat is in those bags.” According to Carr, “We can confirm that based on discussions held with TSA that this kind of screening was inappropriate and should not have happened. The local TSA officials were acting beyond the guidance provided by headquarters.” The TSA effort at Nashville stemmed from a TSA document called the Playbook, which outlined TSA plans for random screenings at FBOs and hangars, originally planned at Bradley International Airport in Windsor Locks, Conn. After NBAA raised concerns about the Playbook, the TSA decided not to go ahead with the Bradley inspections, Carr explained.

Broke, you should worry more about what gets through on the commercial flights you take to and fro work than what pax have in the frax. Jeez, doesn't NJ check everyone that flies 135 on your planes?

I think he is kidding.

All of our owners (91K and 135) are screened against the no-fly list.

I think the crew is too because on ferry legs there is a list shown as well.

So what rights do pilots have when going thru security? Is TSA allowed to have free will? I tried to do a search on written rules and regulations, but was unsuccessful. Any information would be great. Thanks!

This is a good question. As a guy with a libertarian bent, I would resent, and possibly refuse to allow anybody to search my baggage at an FBO. What are my rights? I understand I am subject to search airlining to and from work, but while I do my job? Can I refuse this, and tell them to go piss up a rope, or what? Anybody know?

Wacoflyr

So what rights do pilots have when going thru security? Is TSA allowed to have free will? I tried to do a search on written rules and regulations, but was unsuccessful. Any information would be great. Thanks!

I believe in this regard you have no rights. That is the problem with the TSA. They can even revoke your Pilot certificates and you have no recourse. We really need to put a stop to this or there will be no general aviation.

This is a good question. As a guy with a libertarian bent, I would resent, and possibly refuse to allow anybody to search my baggage at an FBO. What are my rights? I understand I am subject to search airlining to and from work, but while I do my job? Can I refuse this, and tell them to go piss up a rope, or what? Anybody know?

Wacoflyr

The fourth amendment protects us from this behavior! Some TSA prick requests to search my bag when I walk into work I will politely refuse. Simple as that. Then we'll start making phone calls up the ladder! A quick call to 911 to get the local law enforcement involved, etc... Yep, it won't be pretty...but we have to take a stand.

The fourth amendment protects us from this behavior! Some TSA prick requests to search my bag when I walk into work I will politely refuse. Simple as that. Then we'll start making phone calls up the ladder! A quick call to 911 to get the local law enforcement involved, etc... Yep, it won't be pretty...but we have to take a stand.
Unfortunately it's not that simple anymore. That's why we need to do everything possible to stop LASP before it starts. At the end of the day what we have here is a huge bureaucracy looking to expand. The news is filled with occurrences of the TSA overstepping (here is another example) but thus far no one has reined them in. Notice also that the TSA doesn't show any interest in protecting our borders except from inside a nice comfy air conditioned airport terminal.
I would love to find out I'm wrong about this - let me know how that "polite refusal" thing works out for you.

Latest resources

Back