• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TSA Conducts ‘Inappropriate’ Screening at BNA FBOs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is a good question. As a guy with a libertarian bent, I would resent, and possibly refuse to allow anybody to search my baggage at an FBO. What are my rights? I understand I am subject to search airlining to and from work, but while I do my job? Can I refuse this, and tell them to go piss up a rope, or what? Anybody know?

Wacoflyr

I think you probably could, but they would most likely deny you access to the AOA. I don't know this for a fact.

Do we actually expect, after all of these incidents of the TSA overstepping their bounds, scaling the outsides of airplanes, and generally being ******************************bags, to actually do ANYTHING within their bounds?

I mean yeah, that would be nice if an organization WE PAY FOR would be responsible to us, but I guess that ship has sailed....

".......huge bureaucracy looking to expand......"
is exactly right. With airlines cutting flights, the Gestapo is certainly trying to ensure their immunity to layoffs or staff reductions by increasing the reach of their iron claw.

The fourth amendment protects us from this behavior! Some TSA prick requests to search my bag when I walk into work I will politely refuse. Simple as that. Then we'll start making phone calls up the ladder! A quick call to 911 to get the local law enforcement involved, etc... Yep, it won't be pretty...but we have to take a stand.

The Fourth Amendment protects us from "unreasonable" searches. The "reasonableness" standard is not a bright-line rule and tends to vary based on a number of circumstances, including voluntary submission to a search, public security/safety concerns -- both of which seem to apply at airports -- and the intrusiveness of the search.

The reasonableness standard is applied differently to those entering the country (including US citizens at a Point of Entry such as an International Airport) than those already in the country.

While I'm sure you may refuse a search at any airport, I doubt you'd be able to convincingly and concurrently argue a right to proceed beyond the checkpoint without a search.

Last edited:
You always have the right to decline to proceed and pick up your stuff and leave. They have no authority once you exit the security checkpoint. If they want to hassel you they have to call airport police and you can be long gone before they arrive.

Besides I didn't think they had Tubs to Stack at the FBO?

Idiots!

Look guys, it is just a government make-work program for the retarded.

Keeps them off the street, trying to stop you at an intersection to wash your windshield.

At least at the airport, I'm getting paid to be delayed.

Hung

I'm getting tired of all this power that TSA has been given. Hopefully the new administration will rethink all the freedoms that the last president took from us.

Us fractional guys have all been through FBI background checks and get reexamined every time we step into a flight simulator. That alone should prevent us from being searched and harassed by TSA.

Our passengers on 135 flights getting checked against the no-fly list every time. If their name comes up clean, they should be left alone.

If I ever see one of these TSA guys by my plane, they will not have permission to board the aircraft until I contact the local/airport police to have them identified and verify their operation at the airport that day.

While I am no fan of thousands standing around, I am amused with the responses of the TSA going above and beyond. Do we really have our priorities straight here. The former administration approved warrantless wiretapping of american citizens and you guys start having a cow over the tsa doing wanding and id verification. Where was the outrage when the last admin was taking away your rights in order to protect you.

Latest resources

Back