TSA Breaks 10 AE Aircraft in ORD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA, TSA Address Security Inspection Deficiencies
Recent activities by TSA Aviation Direct Access Screening Program (ADASP) personnel culminated in an event at Chicago’s O’Hare International that demonstrated that some TSA personnel are unfamiliar with the proper ways to access parked aircraft. ALPA and TSA are working together to ensure that everyone involved in these activities has an appropriate understanding of relevant procedures.

On August 19, a TSA inspector assigned to the ADASP moved around several aircraft using external parts as handholds. The inspector was unaware of the potential damage he could have inflicted to the equipment or of the threat to safety.

ADASP was created for Transportation Security Officers to provide security screening for the presence of explosives, incendiaries, weapons, and other prohibited items or improper airport identification media. The security screening occurs at direct access points to include airport secured areas, sterile areas, and or aircraft operating areas except for TSA screening checkpoints.

Following report of the problem at ORD, TSA leadership immediately issued a message to reemphasize the importance of complying with the guidance provided in the ADASP Procedure Manual.

ALPA’s National Security Committee has been in contact with TSA officials to ensure that similar incidents are not repeated in the future. “Something like this can affect safety,” said ALPA president, Capt. John Prater. “We want to make it clear to TSA that, while we applaud their efforts to ensure the security of our aircraft, no action on their part can undermine safety.”

“We are reviewing this incident to discover whether the problem is procedural within TSA, or only involved one inspector,” said Capt. Bob Hesselbein, ALPA National Security Committee Chairman.

Every once in a while you'll get a Navajo or King Air dropping someone off part 91 or 135.

All scheduled air carrier ops into ORD are jets.

You need to read my ENTIRE post, not just the first sentence.:rolleyes:
Oh, I did...my point was after they "proved" it on one a/c they didn't need to "keep trying" on identical a/c. I did catch the sarcasm! They're pitiful, no? Take care...

Last edited:
Gotcha...I was (incorrectly) thinking that the poster was an AE pilot and that's where my question came from.

They're
Still
Argenbright

Latest resources

Back